Value of: Colin White

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Well Roslovic is getting them. It's only fair.

Roslovic has no contract, and has asked for a trade multiple times now. White is getting some tough love so as to have him eventually barge back in, and force them to always sit someone for him.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Roslovic has no contract, and has asked for a trade multiple times now. White is getting some tough love so as to have him eventually barge back in, and force them to always sit someone for him.

White would be tough to trade if he can't crack this lineup.

There have been way crazier trades though and he's still young so I could definitely see a change of scenery type of deal. Matheson deal comes to mind here.

At the same time we could buy him out easily and it wouldn't cost much so I don't think we're in a that much of a tough situation. Let's see how this season unfolds, he could definitely claw his way back into a favourable position and I think it's just DJ trying to send a message here.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As an outside fan, I'm not sure what to make of Colin White. He's 23 years old and saw time on the top line during training camp and is paid like management saw him as a future top sixer. On the other hand he's also been a healthy scratch multiple times during the start to the season and doesn't really have the numbers to back up his contract. Is he in Ottawa's dog house and could he be had by a team lacking center depth? In my eyes he'd be an excellent fit for a team like the Wild.
Value of Colin White. Potentially negative. I don’t think he gets claimed if he were put on waivers today. The term is killer on that deal. AAV is no peach either.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
What tough love? Smith said he looked good before the season started. If he looked good why did he not start the season in the lineup??? Why give him a long term contract and then do your best to devalue the player so there is no chance to ever move him?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If he can't get into the lineup...

To VAN:
C. White (4.75 x 5)
F. Chlapik (.735 x 1)
5th 2022

To OTT:
J. Beagle (3.0 x 2)
Ferland (3.5 x 3)
2nd 2022

Ottawa gets some a centerman who can win a faceoff. Beagle fills the 4C role for the next 2 yrs. Ferland probably toils on LTIR.

Vancouver clears cap space for this year (just over $1m)... they get the option of re-signing Chlapik, who IMO could be a good bottom 6er, and the option of continuing with White or buying him out at a cost of $863k per season.

Who says no?

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
considering White's contract, a deal would look something like this... Colin White, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick for 7th round pick. Even that probably isn't enough, White's contract is a high cost to buy 2 draft picks.

Sens have no choice to keep him and hope he becomes a serviceable player. I'll never understand why they gave out this deal, it has Melnyk written all over it. Like he's proving to the people that he's all in on the team and he's not going to strip the team down anymore. The Chabot extension proved that, and was a great deal, no need to give money to a totally unproven player (White) that's not even an NHL regular. Maybe he thought this was proven NHL defender Colin White of the Devils, and didn't realize he had retired 10 years ago.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild have no need of overpaid, terrible, bottom six C's. We've got that covered with Rask and Bjugstad.:thumbu:

Reactions: Blueston

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
considering White's contract, a deal would look something like this... Colin White, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick for 7th round pick. Even that probably isn't enough, White's contract is a high cost to buy 2 draft picks.

Sens have no choice to keep him and hope he becomes a serviceable player. I'll never understand why they gave out this deal, it has Melnyk written all over it. Like he's proving to the people that he's all in on the team and he's not going to strip the team down anymore. The Chabot extension proved that, and was a great deal, no need to give money to a totally unproven player (White) that's not even an NHL regular. Maybe he thought this was proven NHL defender Colin White of the Devils, and didn't realize he had retired 10 years ago.
You know buying out White would only carry a total caphit of $5.3m over 8 years, right? That's an average of $666k per year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
How did he find himself as the 13th forward?

He had a good rookie season debut followed up by a strong sophomore year. Sure he had a bit of a step back last season but I saw posts about him being in incredible shape now, is a young guy the organization has invested a lot into and in his 1 game this year had an assist and finished +1? From afar this seems like a very odd situation.

Id love some incite into where things sit for him and what his future in Ottawa looks like.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He played centre for Mark Stone and Brady Tkachuk for a year. Management somehow didn’t realize that he was a passenger on that line.

This is not an accurate representation of the facts. White had a very impressive rookie year, and while playing with those guys obviously helped, he created offense, went to and made plays around the net, and played with speed and some assertiveness. He came into year 2 thrust into a totally unreasonable role and then injured his groin early in the season. Now, and since then, he's struggled with confidence and mobility.

He does have tools, though, and has shown them at the NHL level. If he can get back to his rookie season level of play, the deal is palatable.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If I said Early Second, would that make it better? still similar value.
More hard laughs for me. Do you mean a 2nd round pick attached to White to take on that awful contract he’s on?

dude is a healthy scratch on one of the worst teams in the nhl. He’s negative value.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
What tough love? Smith said he looked good before the season started. If he looked good why did he not start the season in the lineup??? Why give him a long term contract and then do your best to devalue the player so there is no chance to ever move him?

So why do you think it is? You provided no salient alternatives. He showed up well in camp yes, but that doesn’t mean he’s not going to be pushed to surpass several of the centres we have now.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
You know buying out White would only carry a total caphit of $5.3m over 8 years, right? That's an average of $666k per year.

Ah yes, I forgot younger players can be bought out and pay 33% instead of 66%, like when they bought out Emery. I assume this is still the same.

So, assuming Whitey can be bought out for only $5.3 million total, then his trade value is not as negative as I'd thought (I get $6.27 million spread over 8 years for a buyout this summer). It says he is in the 2nd year of the contract.

Perhaps he's a good candidate for the Expansion Draft, as long as he shows some promise of being a good 3rd line centre someday.

Seattle does need to make the cap floor, so maybe he's a good risk for them as the buyout isn't so high. So, if Seattle claims him, and he flops, in 1 year they can buy him out for a total of $4.7 million spread out over 6 years.

Heck, if he sucks this year and isn't claimed, I hope the Sens buy him out, which would cost $6.2 million this summer, spread over 8 years. Do it.

Am I right about 33%? Our numbers aren't the same.

Now I don't feel quite so awful about White's contract as they can get out of it relatively cheaply. At the cost of a league minimum player for 8 years.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Ah yes, I forgot younger players can be bought out and pay 33% instead of 66%, like when they bought out Emery. I assume this is still the same.

So, assuming Whitey can be bought out for only $5.3 million total, then his trade value is not as negative as I'd thought (I get $6.27 million spread over 8 years for a buyout this summer). It says he is in the 2nd year of the contract.

Perhaps he's a good candidate for the Expansion Draft, as long as he shows some promise of being a good 3rd line centre someday.

Seattle does need to make the cap floor, so maybe he's a good risk for them as the buyout isn't so high. So, if Seattle claims him, and he flops, in 1 year they can buy him out for a total of $4.7 million spread out over 6 years.

Heck, if he sucks this year and isn't claimed, I hope the Sens buy him out, which would cost $6.2 million this summer, spread over 8 years. Do it.

Am I right about 33%? Our numbers aren't the same.

Now I don't feel quite so awful about White's contract as they can get out of it relatively cheaply. At the cost of a league minimum player for 8 years.

In real salary, it is about $6.2m. In years 1-3 & 5-8 of the buyout, the cap hit is ~$854k. (~$5.98m/7) In the 4th year of the buyout, though, Ottawa would actually get a credit of ~$646k on top of the cap, which brings the total to ~$5.3m.

I don't know exactly why its structured that way, I'm sure you could find it in the CBA but I don't know the specifics.

This is a useful tool if youre ever curious about the specifics of a buyout: Buyout Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->