Confirmed with Link: Colin white signed to ELC

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Greening, Smith, Turris (we would have gone 5x5) etc etc. None of these contracts were handed out assuming the player would decline.

8 years on White is insane. He hasn’t scored 15 goals in the league yet. That could end offering less value than the Ryan contact.

With his injury history I would let him prove he can hold his own in the league before I commit 30 million. Taking away the financial motivation of a player who is yet to fully develop is dangerous.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You guys are ignoring pedigree though. It's not the be all end all (see any high draft bust ever) but locking into a guy that your scouts viewed as a top-20 guy in his draft year is significantly different than going long term with a UDFA like Greening.

IF White is part of the core moving forward, he should be locked up. If he's not, we honestly may as well move him while he's got years of control and his value is at it's "highest". The only thing a bridge deal is going to do is put us in a similar situation we've been in with guys like Zibanejad and Stone where the player prices himself off the team when the team can't afford to pay a premium for UFA years.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I really don't see top 6 upside from White, all his points came playing with Stone. Never really flashes offensively. I'd give him a two-year bridge max. The 8-year talk is insane to me.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I really don't see top 6 upside from White, all his points came playing with Stone. Never really flashes offensively. I'd give him a two-year bridge max. The 8-year talk is insane to me.
No offensive flashes from White? You clearly aren’t keeping up with the Sens goal of the year bracket :sarcasm:
I know what your saying though, I don’t think he’s going to be known as an offensive guy. I’d give him a 2 year show me contract. If he does well and it costs Ottawa more money on his next contract that’s an OK problem to have.

Reactions: BigRig4

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
White looks like he has the makings of becoming a player similar to ROR & Bergeron, if he can improve in the faceoff circle. He's a 200' defensive centre who needs a powerforward & goal scorer on his wings in order for him to succeed offensively. He's already very good defensively & IMO the scoring will come as they get better & better players through these drafts. He almost had as many pts as Tkachuk & Tierny in his first yr.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
White looks like he has the makings of becoming a player similar to ROR & Bergeron, if he can improve in the faceoff circle. He's a 200' defensive centre who needs a powerforward & goal scorer on his wings in order for him to succeed offensively. He's already very good defensively & IMO the scoring will come as they get better & better players through these drafts. He almost had as many pts as Tkachuk & Tierny in his first yr.

In Bergeron's D+3 season he had
2005-06Boston BruinsNHL81314273
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
In Bergeron's D+3 season he had
2005-06Boston BruinsNHL81314273
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I believe aragorn meant stylistically. Those two guys would obviously be White's top end though, I'm not even sure the most ardent CW backer would toss that up as a direct comparable. How about this one though...

Chris Drury Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Very similar PPG's in their rookie seasons (with Drury getting a ton more help due to playing with Joe Sakic). Not sure he has the high end of Drury either, given he likely won't be playing with a first ballot hall of famer (avs numbers), and won't experience the boon in scoring that happened post-lockout (Sabres numbers), but it's the same stylistic comparable without setting the expectation of multiple Selkes or Conn Smythe's :laugh:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I believe aragorn meant stylistically. Those two guys would obviously be White's top end though, I'm not even sure the most ardent CW backer would toss that up as a direct comparable. How about this one though...

Chris Drury Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Very similar PPG's in their rookie seasons (with Drury getting a ton more help due to playing with Joe Sakic). Not sure he has the high end of Drury either, given he likely won't be playing with a first ballot hall of famer (avs numbers), and won't experience the boon in scoring that happened post-lockout (Sabres numbers), but it's the same stylistic comparable without setting the expectation of multiple Selkes or Conn Smythe's :laugh:

Yes .. much closer. The Sens should be ecstatic if the get a few Drury type years out of White. White's contract has to have some protection for the Sens if he stagnates or falls off his 13G pace.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Yes .. much closer. The Sens should be ecstatic if the get a few Drury type years out of White. White's contract has to have some protection for the Sens if he stagnates or falls off his 13G pace.

I understand the hesitation, but being risk averse with their youngsters has already backfired on them recently. I actually think there is more risk in a 2-year deal than a 7-8 year deal given this teams (recent) inability to lock players up for the UFA years. I know I'm particularly high on White though, and I don't have the same questions others do about his upside or ability for growth.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I keep thinking White has been extended when I see this thread title pop up beginning with “confirmed with link: Colin white signs...”

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I understand the hesitation, but being risk averse with their youngsters has already backfired on them recently. I actually think there is more risk in a 2-year deal than a 7-8 year deal given this teams (recent) inability to lock players up for the UFA years. I know I'm particularly high on White though, and I don't have the same questions others do about his upside or ability for growth.

I guess it all comes down to AAV for me... but I value White next year around Duclair money. 7-8 years at 4.5 pushes those last few years into 6+ which which is too much IMO. I could get my head around something like 1.7, 2.0, 3.0, 3.25, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 4.5.... that’s $26 million for a guy who hasn’t had a full season of pro hockey ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad