Player Discussion Colin White signed for 6 years x $4.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He had the 'picther' stat line that should always make you raise an eyebrow, 25g 15a or something to that effect. It essentially means he created very little for himself, and was a beneficiary of good linemates. David Clarkson had an extremely similar stat line the season prior to signing his albatross contract.

Clarksson was a 30 goal scorer white had 14 goals and 41 points, very similar progression to zibanejad.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Just being a devil's advocate here, but is anyone concerned about White's drop off in goal scoring after the Stone trade? He went 1+8 in 18 games after the Stone trade.

Not especially. I always viewed him as a 20 40 60 kind of player in his prime. As long as his clutch hard work doesn't drop off he should be at least a 3-2C guy for next 6 years with an outside chance at a 1C eventually.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Just being a devil's advocate here, but is anyone concerned about White's drop off in goal scoring after the Stone trade? He went 1+8 in 18 games after the Stone trade.

1) He was playing through a neck injury since early march.
2) we traded every skilled winger away other than Tkachuk.

I'm not super worried.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He had the 'picther' stat line that should always make you raise an eyebrow, 25g 15a or something to that effect. It essentially means he created very little for himself, and was a beneficiary of good linemates. David Clarkson had an extremely similar stat line the season prior to signing his albatross contract.
Yuuuuup.

Seemed plain as day at the time with both Clarkson and Smith. Those were not risks worth taking.

This contract may in fact not pan out, I get the concern when paying for potential, but lets not compare it to career 3rd/4th liners that hit 25-30g out of nowhere for a season.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
His shooting percentage was just above 3%, a 10% drop after the trade. You have to consider that he was playing tougher minutes as a rookie and also had some injury problem.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Even if he tops out as a great 3rd line center, the deal isn't bad.

I think he'll be running that second line for a while though
On this team for sure, still hoping that Brown can be a top 2 C in the NHL, but again I'm skeptical lol

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Wow. No bonuses and no NTC for White. I feel like that is super rare in the NHL these days.

Nice to see White get a contract done early, relative to all the other RFAs.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What happened to the only contract he is going to sign was for 2 to 2.2 on a one year deal. You said that with certainty today? Did you receive some misinformation?

Ehhh ... I said that is probably what he would want .. and I didn’t think the Sens would be in a rush to move up. Clearly the Sens did. There is a tonne of chest pumping around here. I think the chances are 50/50 he meets the contract or underperforms. I don’t see a loot of room for him to outperform this deal but who knows. I hope he does. Congrats are great until they become the reason you can’t sign another player (Ryan, Smith, Boedker )

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ehhh ... I said that is probably what he would want .. and I didn’t think the Sens would be in a rush to move up. Clearly the Sens did. There is a tonne of chest pumping around here. I think the chances are 50/50 he meets the contract or underperforms. I don’t see a loot of room for him to outperform this deal but who knows. I hope he does. Congrats are great until they become the reason you can’t sign another player (Ryan, Smith, Boedker )

Well if he scores 50 points or more while playing a two way game that he did last year he outperforms it, he had 41 in 71 last year in his first full season. I think his two way game upside is where the real value is, he is already so good for aplayer his age. He is also good on the pp in front of the net, and amazing at faceoffs for his age. This deal is going to be a steal in years 3 through 6 he just does so many things well.

Reactions: Vprime

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

You don't think there is much potential for White to even be a decent #2 centre? If he does he vastly outperforming this contract. I think his floor is basically a very good #3 C. Those type of players are already getting ~$3-4M/year. In three or four years this deal is almost certainly going to be a bargain.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I dont like it. I wish this team just signed guys to shorter deals and paid them market value. We took on a bunch of risk just to maybe save a few mil if things go perfectly.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You don't think there is much potential for White to even be a decent #2 centre? If he does he vastly outperforming this contract. I think his floor is basically a very good #3 C. Those type of players are already getting ~$3-4M/year. In three or four years this deal is almost certainly going to be a bargain.

I am worried about White. I like him, my kid has his jersey etc. I just think this contract is aggressive and at his upper limits. I think a lot of goals came off Duschene/Stone and I’m worried he can’t drive his own line.

I think he will prob put up value on a schedule of something like 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5. 5.0, 5.5 over this term. Not a huge difference but if you have 3-4 guys under performing you are missing out on $6-10 million to give to someone else.

He didn’t score much, he didn’t look good with Team USA, he didn’t score after the trade deadline etc.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am worried about White. I like him, my kid has his jersey etc. I just think this contract is aggressive and at his upper limits. I think a lot of goals came off Duschene/Stone and I’m worried he can’t drive his own line.

I think he will prob put up value on a schedule of something like 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5. 5.0, 5.5 over this term. Not a huge difference but if you have 3-4 guys under performing you are missing out on $6-10 million to give to someone else.

He didn’t score much, he didn’t look good with Team USA, he didn’t score after the trade deadline etc.
If he gets 40 points again that’s more than 2.5 mill value right there

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The deal is totally a fair one.

Logically, he might not be worth that cap hit in years 1 & 2. But he will very likely be worth it in years 3 & 4. And he could easily be worth much more in years 5 & 6.

One way or another the team must be very convinced that hes the real deal. Which should encourage most people anyways.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad