Player Discussion Colin White signed for 6 years x $4.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
f***ING awesome. White locked up for 6 years. Good job Dorion. A higher cap hit than I was hoping (I was hoping for 4 million) but I think I’m a little out of touch with how much players salaries are rising.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am glad he is signed I just hope this doesn’t turn into a Z.Smith deal. I hope the evaluation on the player is right and he continues to develop. If he stagnates at 15G this will be a bit of an anchor.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It’s really nice for a change to read a thread where the vast majority of people are happy with the news.

They did a great job with this contract.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I am glad he is signed I just hope this doesn’t turn into a Z.Smith deal. I hope the evaluation on the player is right and he continues to develop. If he stagnates at 15G this will be a bit of an anchor.

This deal has absolutely nothing in common with Zack Smith's deal other than both players being forwards. I have no idea why you would even bring up that comparison.

Reactions: Deku

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I’ll echo everyone’s sentiment that this is a great deal. Hopefully they don’t just trade him for assets next year.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

What if he stays around 15 goals but gets around 35 assists? 4.75 mil for a 50 point two-way center is great

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He is absolutely nothing like Zack Smith, I dont see how Smith is a comparable. Nothing similar about their situations, their draft pedigree, their success prior to playing in the NHL. Production at the same age...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What if he stays around 15 goals but gets around 35 assists? 4.75 mil for a 50 point two-way center is great

Even if he tops out as a 15goal-30assist-45 point center who can play PK1 minutes... $4.75 mil for that kind of player in his prime is a great, great deal.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This deal has absolutely nothing in common with Zack Smith's deal other than both players being forwards. I have no idea why you would even bring up that comparison.

The comparison is the potential risk to have a player that underperforms the contact.

Every contract with term has the potential for a player to underperform. White has barely dipped his toe in the league. Extracting full value of this contact is far from guaranteed.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The comparison is the potential risk to have a player that underperforms the contact.

Every contract with term has the potential for a player to underperform. White has barely dipped his toe in the league. Extracting full value of this contact is far from guaranteed.

What happened to the only contract he is going to sign was for 2 to 2.2 on a one year deal. You said that with certainty today? Did you receive some misinformation?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I’m not going to nitpick the details on this one given this is the first bit of good news we’ve received in a while.

Credit where credit is due, this is a great signing by PD and exactly what (most) of the fan base has been craving.

Now get TC signed (won’t happen given the market) and fire Boedker into the sun (entirely possible now that the team doesn’t have floor issues) and I’ll be a (relatively) happy camper.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Risk is mitigated because of his age at the time of the signing. Buyout only costs a third instead of 2/3rds.

Low risk and potential high reward deal.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
When you are basically trying to lock up a guy who you hope tops out as your #2 C, this is a good deal, as mentioned, if he sits as a good #3C you lost, but didn't really lose bigly.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

That exists for every player ever though and a low budget team needs to take some chances to get bargains or they're gonna be hooped in short order after bridging everyone again. This is at least a young player with potential, not a vet with an out of nowhere goal scoring season playing with Mark Stone.

The reason Zack Smith was a dumb f*** signing was because everyone and their dog knew he did not magically turn in to a reliable 25 goal scorer and could see that as a bad deal the moment it was signed.

It was our smaller version of David Clarkson's deal after an outlier season or two. Terrible deal on day one and almost everyone knew it.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

4.75 mill, is mid ground. If he actually played like a 2 c he'd be 7+ million.

Reactions: Gesus

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
That exists for every player ever though and a low budget team needs to take some chances to get bargains or they're gonna be hooped in short order after bridging everyone again. This is at least a young player with potential, not a vet with an out of nowhere goal scoring season playing with Mark Stone.

The reason Zack Smith was a dumb **** signing was because everyone and their dog knew he did not magically turn in to a reliable 25 goal scorer and could see that as a bad deal the moment it was signed.

It was our smaller version of David Clarkson's deal after an outlier season or two. Terrible deal on day one and almost everyone knew it.

He had the 'picther' stat line that should always make you raise an eyebrow, 25g 15a or something to that effect. It essentially means he created very little for himself, and was a beneficiary of good linemates. David Clarkson had an extremely similar stat line the season prior to signing his albatross contract.

Reactions: Sweatred and Gesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->