Player Discussion Colin White - C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
When the Sens got White I thought of him as a garbage collector. That's not an insult that's a compliment. My favorite garbage cleanup man was Steve Schutt back in the day. Don't leave a loose rebound puck around him or it's in your net. It's not that he was a big body he just moved quickly into position with great anticipation as to where the puck would end up.

He's a different body type but I'm sure Tkachuk didn't ask permission to own the front of the net. It doesn't mean he's not polishing up his game too but I dare any coach to tell him he can't go there. White has to be like that imo but I believe the responsibilities of a centre at both ends of the ice won't allow him do that as effectively. It wouldn't hurt to try him at RW with a young play making centre and a shooting LW (not mainly checking types) and see how he does around the net with those types of guys. I think there is a lot more scoring ability there than we've seen so far.

If they want an all round centre that sacrifices offense like Pageau did then White can also be that man but expect him to be centering the 3rd line and that means the cost will always appear too high to those who value offense.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Ehhhh.. sorry... ... you want the negative ? He still needs to learn to pass a puck and stickhandle. 5 lbs of muscle isn’t the only thing holding him back but I was trying to be positive - jaka$$. It’s still hard to envision him anything but a 4C or 4RW on a non playoff team with Chaplik and VA really close.

You’re so excited for him to play okay and call me wrong. I bought my kid his jersey, I’d love for him to play well. The reality will always be that he wasn’t ready for the contact - he’s not Dadonov. He should have grinded out success in the AHL and be entering his second season of a bridge motivated to play well for a good RFA pay day.

The Sens rushed Jaros, White, and Lajoie and look at their games vs Norris, Brown, Bath, Form etc.

Last edited:

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
The reality will always be that he wasn’t ready for the contact.

Exactly. Every Sens fan wants him to succeed. I'd love nothing more than to see him develop into a Patrice Bergeron clone.

But the fact of the matter is that he was a 4th line player last season and really disappointing. I am encouraged by the article. He's gaining strength and confidence. We need him to step up and become a leader on the team.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ehhhh.. sorry... ... you want the negative ? He still needs to learn to pass a puck and stickhandle. 5 lbs of muscle isn’t the only thing holding him back but I was trying to be positive - jaka$$. It’s still hard to envision him anything but a 4C or 4RW on a non playoff team with Chaplik and VA really close.

You’re so excited for him to play okay and call me wrong. I bought my kid his jersey, I’d love for him to play well. The reality will always be that he wasn’t ready for the contact - he’s not Dadonov. He should have grinded out success in the AHL and be entering his second season of a bridge motivated to play well for a good RFA pay day.

The Sens rushed Jaros, White, and Lajoie and look at their games vs Norris, Brown, Bath, Form etc.

I'm not looking to call you out as wrong.... I'm just having some fun with you

We all hope the same thing for White...we just have some different views on the root cause of his performance last year

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

It was actually kinda funny googling crow recipes....Americans will eat damn near anything they can shoot

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not looking to call you out as wrong.... I'm just having some fun with you

We all hope the same thing for White...we just have some different views on the root cause of his performance last year

In my alternative world Boucher/PD dont rush him and he is forced to develop some toughness in the minors (like Form) and he comes up as an excellent 3C/3LW who can play up the lineup. Basically White plus everything good about Chaplik was a realistic outcome IMO.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Great article, excited to see how much faster and stronger he has gotten.

Really sucks that the 7 teams that didn't get the playoffs cant have some type of early training camp tournament or something.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018

Really sucks that the 7 teams that didn't get the playoffs cant have some type of early training camp tournament or something.
The nhlpa don t approved the idea or what ? Because suppose to have 2 weeks prior other team

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Is that confirmed? Last I heard, it was looking like we'd get an extended camp

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Boxing lessons too for Whitey, eh? I still have hopes of White turning into a Nazem Kadri (ceiling) or a JGP type player. The physical improvements should enhance the mental toughness, and with the way the team is being built, he has the opportunity to grow into that role - a scrappy, 2-way, 3rd line centre with skills.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I didn't mean to suggest that he was paid exclusively for potential, i thought that was pretty obvious, the point was the balance leaned twards potential for White, and for Duclair it leans further towards past performance.

There is no spin here, these are simple concepts. Younger players are more likely to improve going forward than older players. Rookies are more likely to improve than guys coming off their 5th season. The concept is supported by historical examples. Is it foolproof? Of course not, but these trends factor into contracts.

In the end, comparing White and Duclair contract negotiations is a weak argument to make as the circumstances and past differ so greatly. It's not because i said so, its because years of examples have shown us that it is the case.

Not to mention they play different positions and have vastly different roles. Other than that totally the same though. :rolleyes:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah total flukes.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead :shakehead

Yeah. He's got nothing!

This is his highlight package from the year BEFORE his rookie season which resulted in his contract. There is plenty of upside evident to anyone who wants to see it. He makes a variety of really nice plays in different situations at the AHL and NHL levels.

He looked out of sorts last year but there's plenty of reason to believe he'll bounce back. His good play was never a fluke. He has a track record at every level of playing well. Hopefully that resumes this year.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nice to see him discuss a strength training program on top of “just skating” ...

Typical for a young many who’s spent “4 cycles ” of lifting in the gym to mention it. We didn’t get any of that last year and it showed. Good sign.

If it isn't on Instagram it didn't happen.

Good for him though - I personally have zero doubt in my mind that he has been part of a strength program for many years but if he open to discussing his shortcomings and stating how he will overcome them that is great.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If it isn't on Instagram it didn't happen.
He was asked about his off season program last year and he said he skated... this year he was asked and he said he lifted and skated. If he lifted last year I hope he got a new trainer and/or program.

My guess is we will see a stronger White this year because he did work (as he said) on improving his strength.

Reactions: armani

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I guess this won't go over well!

Still helps with hand eye coordination, right?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
no one is eating crow just because White mentioned in passing hes worrking out really hard lol.

Hopefully White improves his play, that would be great for the org. The contract will always be a mistake, look at what Tampa signed Serg for or what we gave Dadonov. Imagine White being worth Serg (they are basically paid the same) in a 1 for 1.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hopefully White improves his play, that would be great for the org. The contract will always be a mistake, look at what Tampa signed Serg for or what we gave Dadonov. Imagine White being worth Serg (they are basically paid the same) in a 1 for 1.
yeah bad contract i dont understand what went on in th enegotiation room for it to happe.. scariest part, i dont even remember if i defended it or hated it when it was signed.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
yeah bad contract i dont understand what went on in th enegotiation room for it to happe.. scariest part, i dont even remember if i defended it or hated it when it was signed.

Most fans and most of this board was thrilled with the signing. The contract thread still exists and you can go back and read all the posts about what a steal the contract is (supposedly).

I assume White’s agent may have floated a hold out possibility and the Sens didn’t want the bad publicity after loosing 3 UFA’s and promising fans they would keep the young players.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

It's unfair to compare pre-COVID contracts with post-COVID contracts. If White can be an effective 50 point centre, he's worth what he signed in 2019.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

He's played one year out of six. No matter how you feel about this player it's WAY too early to make conclusions about the contract.

It's unfair to compare pre-COVID contracts with post-COVID contracts. If White can be an effective 50 point centre, he's worth what he signed in 2019.

Yup. And if you look at a player like Dylan Larkin his career trajectory was similar to White's early in his career. He had a solid rookie season when playing on a team with some quality veterans. Flopped compared to expectations in his second season once most of the vets had moved on. Bounced back very well in his third season and has been excellent ever since. I'm not saying that White will be as good as Larkin but his development when put into context looks really similar (minus Larkin being injured like White was).

Reactions: Xspyrit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad