Player Discussion Colin White - C/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The days of drinking beer all summer and showing up to camp to get in shape ended years ago

White is listed at 5 foot 11 or 6 feet and the lightest weight i can find is 183. He's not small per se but he's not built like a tank either

You see guys employ different training strategies and diets all the time. For example there was a good story with Boro about two months ago talking about playing at 220 versus 205.

I don't think it's the case that White didn't train at all. I think it's more the case that strength is a noted deficiency so we'll see a customized program for him this summer to address that.

I see other weaknesses that need to be addressed in his game: speed, puck handling, passing, shooting. White is not a first or second line center or player because his skill set is average.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I see other weaknesses that need to be addressed in his game: speed, puck handling, passing, shooting. White is not a first or second line center or player because his skill set is average.

Prior to this season was there ever a concern about White's skating? Personally I thought it was a strength

Reactions: h2owned

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Prior to this season was there ever a concern about White's skating? Personally I thought it was a strength
His skating looks fine to me, three things happened for White this year that he needed to get over first the pressure of the contract, he needed his confidence and to get over his injuries. It took a while but as a 22 year old some players take longer to deal with these obstacles his last 10 games or so he has played well its too bad for him the season got cut short he was starting to get on a roll.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His skating looks fine to me, three things happened for White this year that he needed to get over first the pressure of the contract, he needed his confidence and to get over his injuries. It took a while but as a 22 year old some players take longer to deal with these obstacles his last 10 games or so he has played well its too bad for him the season got cut short he was starting to get on a roll.

I thought last year his skating was a strength and then he had the injury in camp and just struggled with it. He's definitely looking a lot better the past two months

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Or... as @Cosmix pointed out he needs to improve strength, shooting, puck handling etc. There is so much interest to make excuses for this player rather acknowledge his weaknesses.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Or... as @Cosmix pointed out he needs to improve strength, shooting, puck handling etc. There is so much interest to make excuses for this player rather acknowledge his weaknesses.
You are being willfully ignorant here.

99% of people agree he had a poor season compared to expectations (not compared to salary) and that he (like ALL prospects and young players) has skills to be worked on. He also needs to get stronger...like all young players.

Too bad, you had been a reasonable poster for a while but now you are back to making up a narrative to fit your clear and obvious dislike for White.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Of course this is not the season that any body had in mind for him. And its close to the worst case scenario.

But I cant be the only one who is not actually all that worried about White right now?

Beyond being a sophomore player that wass looking to avoid a common jinx, he had a huge contract looming over his head - in addition to having an entirely new coaching staff that he didnt seem to immediately click with, and some injuries early in the year that compounded everything above.

It was just a tough year for Colin. He never found his groove or a clear role in DJs pre deadline roster, and was clearly lost at times.

But he was already showing major signs of life before the uh, shutdown.. And Im positive that he will have a big season and play in a prominent role on next years version of the Sens,

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of course this is not the season that any body had in mind for him. And its close to the worst case scenario.

But I cant be the only one who is not actually all that worried about White right now?

Beyond being a sophomore player that wass looking to avoid a common jinx, he had a huge contract looming over his head - in addition to having an entirely new coaching staff that he didnt seem to immediately click with, and some injuries early in the year that compounded everything above.

It was just a tough year for Colin. He never found his groove or a clear role in DJs pre deadline roster, and was clearly lost at times.

But he was already showing major signs of life before the uh, shutdown.. And Im positive that he will have a big season and play in a prominent role on next years version of the Sens,

I am not as positive as you are about White’s future; however, I certainly hope he improves significantly to become a regular 3rd line or better NHL player and more than what he has shown this past season (a 4th liner). He has a lot to work on to get better.

Reactions: Sweatred

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is all going to be about how he looks next season. This season was a disappointment but it should have been expected: we lost almost all our talent and gave him a large contract.

Most young players who aren't already stars almost always struggle with the pressure of getting paid so much money. That's a good thing too, it means he understands and appreciates what is being expected of him and that he cares.

I'm expecting him to show in camp in the best shape of his life and having gotten over the nerves of the contract expectations. Even if he tops out as a great 3rd C who can fill in at the two spot, his contract will still be absolutely fine.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You are being willfully ignorant here.

99% of people agree he had a poor season compared to expectations (not compared to salary) and that he (like ALL prospects and young players) has skills to be worked on. He also needs to get stronger...like all young players.

Too bad, you had been a reasonable poster for a while but now you are back to making up a narrative to fit your clear and obvious dislike for White.

I disagree - and the narrative that he is “over pressured/injured/contract” is equally ignorant to reality and insult player (skill) evaluations.

I feel like I have said this 1000 times. I like the prospect, I bought my kid his jersey... I just want him to get better... same as Logan Brown, Brann etc.

I definitely do not believe he is (or was) a finished project. I wish he got more of the Logan Brown treatment than the Lazar treatment.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
7 points in last 6 games since moving up with Brady and increased ice time.

Great. If he achieves that rate of points (1.166 per game) next season over an 82 game schedule he will get 95.7 points. I might be willing to bet a small bundle he does not achieve that (my expectations are lower). But I do hope he does. :)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Great. If he achieves that rate of points (1.166 per game) next season over an 82 game schedule he will get 95.7 points. I might be willing to bet a small bundle he does not achieve that (my expectations are lower). But I do hope he does. :)
you know all he has to do is have 5 streaks just like that through the course of a season. and thats 35 points right there in 30 games. then lets say he only gets 15 points in the remaining 52 thats 50 points in an 82 game season. pretty good production.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
you know all he has to do is have 5 streaks just like that through the course of a season. and thats 35 points right there in 30 games. then lets say he only gets 15 points in the remaining 52 thats 50 points in an 82 game season. pretty good production.

Yes, 50 points for White over 82 games would be good. However I think his point totals get improved while playing with better players, which is virtually a truism for any player. I do not see White as a player who is skilled enough to make other players better. He seems to have a 3rd to 4th line skillset and is more of a complementary player. I hope he does improve and expect that he will, but I not expect a top line player.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It is all going to be about how he looks next season. This season was a disappointment but it should have been expected: we lost almost all our talent and gave him a large contract.

Most young players who aren't already stars almost always struggle with the pressure of getting paid so much money. That's a good thing too, it means he understands and appreciates what is being expected of him and that he cares.

I'm expecting him to show in camp in the best shape of his life and having gotten over the nerves of the contract expectations. Even if he tops out as a great 3rd C who can fill in at the two spot, his contract will still be absolutely fine.

Topping out as a great 3C would be amazing... we are committed to paying him as great 3C but I’m see very little to believe we get that player xx without a huge increase in skill and strength.

FireDJ

Jul 20, 2006
Alberta
It's good production for his low standards, but if that's what a first line center is getting nowadays for production, we will be in the basement for years.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yes, 50 points for White over 82 games would be good. However I think his point totals get improved while playing with better players, which is virtually a truism for any player. I do not see White as a player who is skilled enough to make other players better. He seems to have a 3rd to 4th line skillset and is more of a complementary player. I hope he does improve and expect that he will, but I not expect a top line player.
if he puts up 50 points playing anywhere hes not a fouth line player lol regardless of linemates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad