Colin McDonald

bigbren92

Mar 13, 2012
I just wonder what the point of having him on the team actually is. I mean I don't see him doing anything bad out there, but he literally does nothing. He seems to have lost that edge from the end of last season. I feel like we should put Clutterbuck on the 4th line instead and then send Colin to either BP or have him be the regular healthy scratch instead of Nelson.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Agreed, and though it's easy to point fingers because the whole team is playing like poop, c-mac looks slow out there...and when he does get in on the forecheck, he and his whole line seem to have lost their cycling magic.

If Nelson had more grit like a Kassian or Tom Wilson, I would say he could easily replace Cmac...unfortunately with all the nancies on the team, c-mac is quite valuable, unfortunately (yes I wrote that in twice...haha)

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
He doesn't deserve his own thread at this early point. There are others that aren't doing at least what he is. His line, even though didn't (and hasn't really so far) produce points, was one of the best lines tonight, and consistently solid most nights.

He looks a bit slower to me. When he skates, the feet move quickly but he doesn't. But he has good: hockey sense, quick shot, checking, defensive play.

He's a solid 4th liner and last year he came up big, with some timely goals and hits that changed games. Can't give up on him yet.

PMB and Regin on the other hand, are not as good as Colin 2 way and are a liability at this point. I''ll give them the benefit of a 25/30 game look but they seem to be players that will not help you in the playoffs, or getting there for that matter. Said it in the GDT, no finish. Good vision and creativity sometimes but lacking in execution. So many turnovers and quick ups for the other team.

When Nelson and Donovan sit for PMB and Carkner, it's tough to take. McD is far down the list of issues.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I guess people will do anything to find negatives in anyone.

He was never the best skater, and I still see him being the solid player he was for us last year.

I swear people need to seriously calm down.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
looks complacent. He was playing for his last shot to be an NHLer last year and it showed. He should ride the pine a few times to remember how it feels.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I just wonder what the point of having him on the team actually is. I mean I don't see him doing anything bad out there, but he literally does nothing. He seems to have lost that edge from the end of last season. I feel like we should put Clutterbuck on the 4th line instead and then send Colin to either BP or have him be the regular healthy scratch instead of Nelson.

You could say the same thing about Martin. This game, Martin did play better, but these guys has been playing average...which I guess is ok. The more inexperience we bring up from BP, the harder it will be to win games.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
He's a fine player, perfect for the 4th line. Not sure what the hell you people are talking about. If you want to complain about a player it should be Clutterbuck and PMB.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
He's a fine player, perfect for the 4th line. Not sure what the hell you people are talking about. If you want to complain about a player it should be Clutterbuck and PMB.

Yeah, seriously. McDonald is what he is. If I wasn't about to get in a car right now I would take 5 minutes and list 100 or more reasons why the Islanders aren't playing up to their potential right now. Colin McDonald would not be on that list.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I think the problem here is the 3rd line has been terrible. Regin and Clutterbuck have done nothing, so i understand the point of moving Clutterbuck to the 4th line with martin. Then the issue becomes who playes center on thr 3rd line? I guess the options would be Strome or nelson and moving mcdonald up to the 3rd line with grabner. The problem with this it would the islanders pay Clutterbuck close to 3 mil a year on the 4th line?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I think McDonald's tendency to go over the edge prevented him from earning a full time NHL job until earlier this year. If he craps the bed for the next 20 games such as scoring 2 points, perhaps the Isles will go for a replacement.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Mcdonald is a 12th/13th forward who has zero impact on the game. Every team has a Mcdonald.

The biggest problem with Mcdonald now is that we traded a 5th overall pick and signed someone for 2 million plus that is also a 4th line wing

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think McDonald's tendency to go over the edge prevented him from earning a full time NHL job until earlier this year. If he craps the bed for the next 20 games such as scoring 2 points, perhaps the Isles will go for a replacement.

If that is the only move this team makes when they haven't fixed holes more important on a magnitude of 10 then they deserve whatever they get.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

I don't understand going over the edge? Do you mean stepping out of position? McDonald doesn't go out of position. It is Martin that may do that once in a while to make a big hit, but McDonald will play positional hockey and always finishes his checks. That was the first thing I noticed about him. Why are we picking on him anyway? He already has a goal this season, which is a lot to say for other 4th liners.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I don't understand going over the edge? Do you mean stepping out of position? McDonald doesn't go out of position. It is Martin that may do that once in a while to make a big hit, but McDonald will play positional hockey and always finishes his checks. That was the first thing I noticed about him. Why are we picking on him anyway? He already has a goal this season, which is a lot to say for other 4th liners.

to me it means playing with toughness over what is acceptable. The checks he delivers may go over what is allowed and he goes to the box.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
Colin McDonald isn't a horrible 4th liner, but I've never really been a fan of his game. But, I will say this, Nelson should easily be playing over him.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Man from what I see Cmac comes out and plays his role and hits consistently, I remember when we didn't really have that a few years ago aside from MM, some said Cmac does look a bit slower though, true , I think if anyone should sit for Brock is PMB, dude seems like he can skate and stickhandle real well but doesn't really have any jam to his game .....hope Cappy gets the guys rollin tomorrow night ......greetings from South Florida fellas!!!:yo:

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
Colin McDonald isn't a horrible 4th liner, but I've never really been a fan of his game. But, I will say this, Nelson should easily be playing over him.

He cycles, hits, fights, and has solid hockey sense and a very good shot. If you dont like that why do you watch hockey?

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
A right handed shot who hits, skates, and can score (with a good shot), playing the 4th line. Yes please, I'll take him every day for that role.

The fact that the Islanders are truly capable of rolling 4 lines will help them in the long run. Especially in this season where you have many back to backs.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
CMac shows up EVERY GAME. Nelson is sitting because as good as he looks, he isn't there every shift. Like others have said, I'd rather sit PMB or Moulson or Okposo for not showing up than CMac who plays hard every shift.

LotteryForLife*

McDonald is ok. I just think we have too many guys that are just that. Ok. If we want to be a better team, we need more high-end players. I feel like if we had Strome, Nelson, Lee and Reinhart here and subtracted the Brian Strait's and Colin McDonald's of the world we would have a much better team moving forward

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
McDonald is ok. I just think we have too many guys that are just that. Ok. If we want to be a better team, we need more high-end players. I feel like if we had Strome, Nelson, Lee and Reinhart here and subtracted the Brian Strait's and Colin McDonald's of the world we would have a much better team moving forward

The 4th line is not our problem.

Please close this thread, it's run it's course.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
CMac shows up EVERY GAME. Nelson is sitting because as good as he looks, he isn't there every shift. Like others have said, I'd rather sit PMB or Moulson or Okposo for not showing up than CMac who plays hard every shift.

how dare you insult our golden boy nelson?? you mean to tell me coasting on the canucks 4th goal ISN'T the best option?

we should try to sign rob schremp for our 4th line, he has some talent!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad