Colin Greening Appreciation

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's received a ton of flak this year, and I maintain that most of it has been undeserved. He has really elevated his play since taking a seat. Holy smokes he has been great! They say that power forwards take longer to develop in the NHL, and Greening has the brain and the tools to become a very effective player.

:handclap:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Post game, he said sitting down as a healthy scratch gave him the opportunity to re-evaluate his game which is exactly what everyone criticizing him was hoping he'd do. Good game. Definately more like the Greening of old.

WhiteLight*

No, most of it was deserved. He was awful. Not even close to playing to his potential. He finally got his head out of his ass.
Good for him I guess

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like as intelligent as Greening is he will benefit a lot throughout his career if he's ever in a funk from just sitting for a game. He's a smart player and being such a smart guy he will (hopefully) be able to get the most out of his tools. He's still quite young, too...I'd be interested to see what the average break-out season is for the average power forward.

Just going through a few of the guys like Doan, Lucic and even Iginla didn't really hit their stride until 3 - 4 years in the league.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I will appreciate him tonight, but when I'm sober in the morning I will probably regret it.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
My favourite Sen. Met the guy, have his jersey, always performs excellent when I'm in attendance (see sig). :yo:

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Great game for Greening tonight, hope he maintains his play for a while!

SelleckStache

Mar 12, 2007
Ottawa
yF8zANv.jpg

yes by

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Greening should be doing more with his size, speed, and skills. I thought he was great last season before slowing down his pace toward the end. Sens altogether are injury-riddled so you have to wonder if he'd be producing more w/ Spetsa in the lineup. As long as he's fine playing 3rd line minutes and he will accept the pay that is associated with a 3rd line and Murray won't trade him because he accepts his 3rd line role then I'm happy. He could be doing much more though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Greening should be doing more with his size, speed, and skills. I thought he was great last season before slowing down his pace toward the end. Sens altogether are injury-riddled so you have to wonder if he'd be producing more w/ Spetsa in the lineup. As long as he's fine playing 3rd line minutes and he will accept the pay that is associated with a 3rd line and Murray won't trade him because he accepts his 3rd line role then I'm happy. He could be doing much more though.

I don't know if he has the hands to score a lot but he is now 4th in scoring on this team. I see him more as the muscle on an offensive line to dig pucks out of the corners, along the boards, to finish his checks, throw some good hits & to do the dirty work in front of the net. I don't expect a lot of goals from him but have noticed that he is a pretty good passer & playmaker at times. He plays a good two way game, is hard to play against & usually plays against the other team's top line, he is very good defensively & takes the odd faceoff.

On another note, nice to see so many on here appreciating Greening.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Looking much, much better than he did at the start of the year

I'm starting to think this guy is an asset that I would like to keep

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
A propos of nothing, I just noticed that Greening's stats this year after 24 GP are almost identical with the ones he had in 2010-11 where he also had 24 GP. In fact his numbers in 2011-12 are also very similar:

Year Team GP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits BkS
2010-11 OTT 24 6 7 13 2 10 56 9
2011-12 OTT 82 17 20 37 -4 46 189 48
2012-13 OTT 24 4 7 11 5 2 60 9

The circumstances are different this year with all the injuries and him playing on different lines, and so I don't know whether the stats are promising or disappointing. But it does look as if he pretty much reached his plateau from the beginning, which is understandable given how old he was as a rookie. He's only 10 months apart from Corey Perry.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
A 40 point power forward is nothing to shake a stick at. I hope he continues to develop his physical game a little more. He's a very useful player for us. If we had a bit of insulation for our forwards in the form of Michalek and Spezza all year I think he could probably have a few more points too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A 40 point power forward is nothing to shake a stick at. I hope he continues to develop his physical game a little more. He's a very useful player for us. If we had a bit of insulation for our forwards in the form of Michalek and Spezza all year I think he could probably have a few more points too.

And that's a big line with a little bit of everything. Most of course want Greening to be a scorer like Michalek but I doubt we ever see that. If you want another scorer with Spezza than I would suggest they put Silfverberg up there. Greening can play on any line & be a complimentary player but we often expect more than the guy can deliver. He is what he is, a good two way defensive forward with size & speed who does all the dirty work, I just wish he had a mean streak or would drop them more often. I don't think he has had any penalties yet this yr, Lady Bing candidate. :shakehead

P.S. - I sit corrected, Greening has one two minute penalty this yr .... yikes ... that could be part of his problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad