Player Discussion Colin Blackwell

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He fits in well and seems to be guy you can plug in all over the place which is valuable unto itself. He may not be the type of guy who scores at a ppg pace but being that 35-40 point utility player who can create turnovers and support his linemates is really ideal for where this team is

Reactions: Cmox

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'll say it. He's a better jesper fasth.

I would like to see him on the PK before I can make that comparison, but he's definitely a better offensive version. What an absolute find by the pro scouts. It's been a long time since the Rangers have found a guy toiling on another roster and it has worked out for them. I'd say Rooney has been another one of those guys. The depth signings (outside of JJ) have been fantastic for the team overall.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would like to see him on the PK before I can make that comparison, but he's definitely a better offensive version. What an absolute find by the pro scouts. It's been a long time since the Rangers have found a guy toiling on another roster and it has worked out for them. I'd say Rooney has been another one of those guys. The depth signings (outside of JJ) have been fantastic for the team overall.

Really they do this every couple of years. 2 seasons ago it was Ryan Strome. Yes, he qualifies for this. Before that it was Michael Grabner, Nick Holden, Benoit Pouliot, and John Mitchell. And I’m sure I missed someone. It doesn’t work every time, but it works fairly regularly.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Love how little Blackwell KOed Kegstand without trying. Blackwell let er rip from a prime scoring area after hanging onto the puck (something he and Fox excel at, patience at the right time), McKegg was completely oblivious and got flattened.

Blackwell didn't even react to the 2 hand axe chop after, 'was that a breeze I felt'?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He gets in on the forecheck, makes some really nice effort plays in the offensive zone and may finish better than Fast but he's not close to the defensive/complete player. Not yet at least.

Either way if he keeps this up he will be a very good swiss army knife kinda guy who can slide up and down the lineup.

On a strong team this is the kind of guy you want on the low lines when you can roll 4 and he can make some noise on the scoresheet, or he can spell a struggling or injured player up top. Good to have.

Reactions: haveandare

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
When we signed Blackwell, I remember looking at his stats and underlying numbers and thinking he would make a great 13F that was better than McKegg.

But he has been a revelation for this team and he seems to grow more comfortable by the day. With him, Rooney, PDG and Lemieux all in the fold, we haven't had this many viable bottom 6 options to play a grinder's role in quite some time. Unfortunately our top 6 went cold.

He could even be a late bloomer and become a solid 3rd line winger for us. He certainly has the talent and plays a solid 200ft game. And signed another year at a league minimum? Great find by our scouting department.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Now that everyone is on the Blackwell hype train, I'm starting to regret that I didn't make this thread 2-3 weeks ago. I'd look like a genius right about now.

His shooting numbers are going to come down, for sure. He is like the polar opposite of Zibanejad, when it comes to shooting this season, so far. But he does so many good things out there, for his contract. I'm not saying he's some great bottom sixer ( no, he isn't at Jesper Fast level ), but he does bring great value.

It sucks that we'll probably lose him to Seattle.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When we signed Blackwell, I remember looking at his stats and underlying numbers and thinking he would make a great 13F that was better than McKegg.

But he has been a revelation for this team and he seems to grow more comfortable by the day. With him, Rooney, PDG and Lemieux all in the fold, we haven't had this many viable bottom 6 options to play a grinder's role in quite some time. Unfortunately our top 6 went cold.

He could even be a late bloomer and become a solid 3rd line winger for us. He certainly has the talent and plays a solid 200ft game. And signed another year at a league minimum? Great find by our scouting department.

Literally the polar opposite of last year's team.

Reactions: Mikachu93

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Blackwell scoring, smashing McKegg and watching McKegg freak out is one of the highlights of the season so far for me.

It had it all. good goal. chippy play. an ex player being exposed as a baby.

haha... I really kind of felt bad for McKegg though. He really tried so hard for us... he is just not.... well.... good.

Blackwell thusfar is pretty much everything McKegg wished he could be. To see Colin crush that little engine who could.... kinda made me feel bad.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Blackwell has cooled down in his scoring a bit, but is still having a career year. A late bloomer in only his third NHL season at 27 years of age, he's been one of the positive upsides of this season for sure. If he gets some minutes, he'll end up on the score sheet.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad