Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Zucker firing candy hearts at the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see nothing in McCann’s game that proves he will be a top six winger.

He’s a defensively solid pest, with speed and a cannon of a shot. His playmaking is trash and he doesn’t play well along the boards.

Rust has a ton of skill and hands and has won every forecheck he gets in on since day one.

C'mon, you know that wasn't always true. Rust had his streak down the left or right and cut into the net around everyone as his big play, and he struggled to even have consistent play and why he was demoted to bottom six on a number of occasions.

Every forecheck? He had times of falling down and getting out worked on the boards too. That tends to happen to smaller players up against bigger players along the boards and when challenged. What Rust had is speed with relentless hustle with some skill and eventually grew to what he is now. You saw flashes of it, but it was never a constant. This year they got a more polished version of him, and it still is not out of the realm for him to retort back, but I hope he doesn't. This has been the longest span (5 games) he's gone without a goal or even a point.

He's already missed games, and even if he doesn't score another point this season it's the best he's had as a Pen.

I don't agree McCann is garbage on wing. His shot alone will make him useful there with 87 or 71 feeding him.

But yeah, he's definitely best off at center. And if we can acquire another bottom six forward, I think Sullivan can roll 4 lines and trust McCann at center. Not a fan of having him on wing on the 3rd line with Bjug at center.

Explain to me how he's best at center? This is always said, but there's really nothing to state it's true. The only way he's a center is when one of Sid/Geno are down and playing 2C, and then super sheltered minutes wise in a top role. His minutes are gonna take a hit once more in a 3C role.

Now take into affect his linemates. Hornqvist on the RW and _?_ on the LW.

I think McCann needs to get it working on the wing or he may find himself as the next non fit because, he's not your typical 3C type of player, and I doubt they are bumping Sid or Geno to get him into a effective position for him to succeed. The 3C needs to be an all around player and not just a straight up 5 on 5 player. It's too much of an important position. One where they have a great 4C playing those minutes, but even he has serious flaws to be the 3C forever. It's to the point if you have huge draws you have to send Sid in. That's fine if your normal guy is out injured, but it shouldn't be your means of moving forward permanently.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JJ and Petts are the two worst puckhandlers on the blue line and I honestly don’t know which of the two I’d rank last.

Right now, I'd probably rank Pettersson lower simply because Johnson seems to know his limitations and (more often than not) doesn't try to over handle the puck. Pettersson has moments where he thinks he's Letang/Marino and will try things he's physically incapable of pulling off.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Right now, I'd probably rank Pettersson lower simply because Johnson seems to know his limitations and (more often than not) doesn't try to over handle the puck. Pettersson has moments where he thinks he's Letang/Marino and will try things he's physically incapable of pulling off.

I don't know, man. I think he's capable, just being over extended and not used to the minutes. Many changes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Explain to me how he's best at center? This is always said, but there's really nothing to state it's true. The only way he's a center is when one of Sid/Geno are down and playing 2C, and then super sheltered minutes wise in a top role. His minutes are gonna take a hit once more in a 3C role.

Now take into affect his linemates. Hornqvist on the RW and _?_ on the LW.

I think McCann needs to get it working on the wing or he may find himself as the next non fit because, he's not your typical 3C type of player, and I doubt they are bumping Sid or Geno to get him into a effective position for him to succeed. The 3C needs to be an all around player and not just a straight up 5 on 5 player. It's too much of an important position. One where they have a great 4C playing those minutes, but even he has serious flaws to be the 3C forever. It's to the point if you have huge draws you have to send Sid in. That's fine if your normal guy is out injured, but it shouldn't be your means of moving forward permanently.

Like others have said, McCann is a bit of a spazz. He likes carrying the puck and creating offense his way.

Why not let him do that on his own line with a couple of guys to help him keep possession like PH. Sid and Tanev lines will be taking the difficult responsibilities. And with the proper LW on Malkin's line, they can either be a great 200 ft line or if Guentzel comes back in the playoffs and goes back there, they'll draw the most difficult matchups on a nightly basis.

BART is going to be used like a 3rd line anyway. You're not asking a whole lot of McCann at center.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I don't know what that is.

lol...they were one of the first audio cassette makers...they had a commercial with Ella Fitzgerald where she’d sing live and break a glass with a high pitch and then they’d play a Memorex tape of her singing and the tape would break the glass too...like right...come on...is it live or is it Memorex was their slogan...I think they went out of business in the 90s

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Like others have said, McCann is a bit of a spazz. He likes carrying the puck and creating offense his way.

Why not let him do that on his own line with a couple of guys to help him keep possession like PH. Sid and Tanev lines will be taking the difficult responsibilities. And with the proper LW on Malkin's line, they can either be a great 200 ft line or if Guentzel comes back in the playoffs and goes back there, they'll draw the most difficult matchups on a nightly basis.

BART is going to be used like a 3rd line anyway. You're not asking a whole lot of McCann at center.
And I think McCann does upgrade that 4th line to where it can play a lot more. With Horny there too you are pretty close to a 3rd line. So we could move towards having our two top 6 lines, a defensive depth line, and a scoring/possession depth line.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Blueger and McCann is very similar to Cullen and Bones imo.
Get one more effective depth LW and we could really be in business. Ideally a RW to play with Sid to bump Simon down, but I think that's a big ask. I think we will need to live with kahun and Simon as our top 6 3rd wheels with Jake out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Get one more effective depth LW and we could really be in business. Ideally a RW to play with Sid to bump Simon down, but I think that's a big ask. I think we will need to live with kahun and Simon as our top 6 3rd wheels with Jake out.

Adding a player like Trevor Lewis would be interesting.

Tanev - McCann - Lewis
ZAR - Blueger - Hornqvist

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
More importantly, does it matter? Will he ever leave bluegers side again ?

I think if we get Bjugstad and Kahun back and add another piece ZAR is setting up to be the scratch judging by his 5v5 usage.

And based on the “we need a vet bottom sixer” I can’t really see who else JR would be trying to knock out of the line up.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think if we get Bjugstad and Kahun back and add another piece ZAR is setting up to be the scratch judging by his 5v5 usage.

And based on the “we need a vet bottom sixer” I can’t really see who else JR would be trying to knock out of the line up.
I'll be honest, I completely forgot about Bjugstad.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'll be honest, I completely forgot about Bjugstad.

it’s because he’s not a fit here...can you see him playing with Sid on RW? No...if Sully is not going to play Tanev in the top six and break up BART, then he’s not playing RW in the bottom six because Horny is there...so he has to center the 3rd or 4th line, which forces McCann back to wing...since it doesn’t look like we can trade him before the deadline, he should be the 13th forward in case of injury...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I mean, if we're adding a forward, I'd bet Bjugstad only gets a spot when another injury happens. And even then, RW is pretty crowded. And it's been a long layoff to trust him at center over McCann.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
it’s because he’s not a fit here...can you see him playing with Sid on RW? No...if Sully is not going to play Tanev in the top six and break up BART, then he’s not playing RW in the bottom six because Horny is there...so he has to center the 3rd or 4th line, which forces McCann back to wing...since it doesn’t look like we can trade him before the deadline, he should be the 13th forward in case of injury...

McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Tanev

Is the obvious when Kahun and Bjugstad are back. JR is rumored to want a bottom six vet. Whose job do you think they want to improve on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad