Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid walks into Montreal and stone cold stuns them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
As long as the Pens make the playoffs, I don't care if Kessel floats the rest of the way. I want playoff Phil and he's shown consistently in the past to be a playoff beast, last year not withstanding. Then again, last year he was on fire all year before the playoffs which usually isn't the case, he typically has his slumps during the season.

I'm much more concerned with team defence at this point.

Reactions: ColePens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, Sid has chosen his linemates on the way to three cups and is the franchise.

Look at McCann tonight.

I agree completely that Guentzel - Crosby - Kessel is the most logical top line. Makes no sense other than the fact Sid doesn’t want to play with him.

Its too boom or bust as a line if you want to use Sid against other top lines. Guentzel-Kessel just isn't a wing combo you want against other top players when the puck isn't on their sticks. It also really steals talent from the line below.

I wish we saw it more as a quick switch hit option for attacking zone face offs against bad lines, but I totally get why its a thing even before we consider that Sid has influence and enjoys playing with guys with very similar outlooks to his own.

Penguins are depthy no doubt. Crazy. What teams can lose 4 roster d men (yeah I guess ruh too) and perform better? This team is freakishly good.... and bad..... I donno.

Freakishly good and bad covers it.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This season we have usually delivered in games when we needed a bounce-back and this was no exception. Guentzel for 6 million a year is a daylight robbery, he is so much more than just a product of Crosby. Both of them just burned the Habs' village and it was glorious. We struggled quite a bit for 10-15 minutes in the middle of the game but Murray stood tall. I thought Geno played a lot better against Buffalo but he scored the winner and battled and Kessel disappeared once again, so I can't fault him much. Games like this show once again how much goaltending and puck luck mean, our first two goals involved favourable bounces, the third was a gift from Price, I don't think our skaters played any worse against the Sabres but the result was a lot different.

I am very pleasantly surprised by the defence, I would have happily taken 6 out of 8 points from the last 4 games even with Dumo and Letang in the line-up, as it is, it's downright unbelievable achievement, especially considering that both OT losses came after some questionable refereeing. I will be perfectly happy to eat crow about Gudbranson and JJ, and really hope they can keep it up. We also have to hope at least one of Letang and Dumo come back soon because I don't think this make-shift defence can hold the fort for much longer. Kessel getting off his schneid would be very welcome too.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
That’s just cuz score effects. Pens were defending a big lead for like 50 minutes.
Yeah, that makes sense. There was a lot of dumping and cycling for the sake of cycling, especially in the 3rd where the scoring chance discrepancy is. High danger is even for the game. Then you have the Habs trying to claw their way back in and throwing a lot of stuff on net.

It never really felt like they were in real danger or getting caved in to me (*real danger beyond what you'd expect in such an important game). The Habs would have a couple of strong shifts but then Sid's line would come on and stick it to them. Gave up too many shots from the middle but it was an admirable job IMO, considering the 1st pair is missing and how much we've relied on them.

Also, interesting that Sid spent a slim majority of his even strength time with the 2nd pair of Petts-Guds. I thought I'd see Schultz there. :popcorn:

Reactions: TooManyHumans

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kessel is such a D liability that I see why Crosby prefers a better two way player. Unfortunately Horny is just not fast enough to be a compliment to Crosby creating space and visa versa. In theory Horny should work best with Malkin. Rust is the best fit due to a combo of speed, D and RH shot. If Pens could trade a couple of wingers here for picks, I would strongly consider a Q offer for Kapanen from Toronto as a RFA.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Can I say I dont want OM back? Is that safe to say around here or wut?

Fine by me.

I picked on Murray a lot after the Buffalo game. He was excellent in Montreal. I think they ride him out and I'm hopeful it continues. Props to him

Me too. But that's Murray this season: awful one night, excellent the next. Maddeningly inconsistent. And I'm a big fan of his.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Missed the game last night. What was the deal with McCann on the top line? Looks like it worked out pretty well.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He had a cou0le if nice feeds to players on the point and in the slot, unfortunately they were wearing Canadians jerseys

Not a good strategy.

I just expect 4th liners to not give up goals and rookies to NOT take penalties...heaven forbid they do that shit outside of our blueline.

Any turnovers are dangerous to those ends.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Defence is really holding up, very impressive given the injuries and how bad some of those players are supposed to be. They have a 2017 Pens squad vibe to them right now, playing much better than the sum of their parts. If they can keep that up, with the forwards we have maybe we still have a shot.

Crosby has become more and more clutch with every passing season it seems. When we've needed him he's stepped up, 20 points in the last 10 games with this team trying to stay alive. Kucherov deserves the MVP, but Crosby might find himself in the conversation.

Was really expecting DeSmith in net, thought that would be a huge mistake given the importance of this game. Great move by Sully to go back to MM.

Malkin has been playing much better for a while now, safe to say he's back.

Huge win, with Colubmus floundering a bit at the moment they might be able to get into the playoffs and even avoid Tampa.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Team is playing playoff hockey. Only thing they need to clean up is special teams. 4th line is lacking. Getting Rust back would be nice but other than that. No changes needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad