Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Sid walks into Montreal and stone cold stuns them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTang58

Nov 30, 2018
Tip of the cap to Murr. You responded kid.

If not for Kucherov, Sid is an easy Hart pick IMO.

Best all around player in the game by a mile.
Honestly, if the Pens/Hawks make the playoffs, I'd give Crosby or Kane the Hart over Kucherov. Regardless, Kucherov shouldn't get it anyway. That team is stacked. The Bolts would only be slightly less OP.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Sid sees what Kessel does with Malkin, why would he want him on his line. As for Hornqvist...could be a situation they know works when they have to go to it(playoff time) so try others during the season.

Sully likes to switch up lines and have everyone gel(at least try) in case of injuries so we always see guys moved around. Playoff lines is where we find out most who he wants paired with.

Agreed with Kessel being moved if we can make the right trade. We won those cups by adding him but hes like a coach who has a shelf life. This team is built around Crosby/Malkin and getting the most out of them. Find the next trade(Kessel the best option due to return and other things mentioned) that compliments that best and puts us over the top again. Thats if he doesnt have a good playoff run and we are out in first/second round, knowing we have to do something big. Had the Staal trade. Then Neal. Hes at that age where we can still get a great return. And adding guys like McCann and Bjugstad, Blueger(to go with Guentzel ,Rust, Hornqvist)....also eventually guys like Bellerive, Bjorkqvist, Angello, Hallander will be ready. This summer would be the time to do it.

But who knows...if we make the playoffs and hes back to himself, to go with the guys mentioned(better roster than we had for both cups) I dont see how we dont compete for it all. Especially if we see the Murray that was in net tonight.

Tho we are coming off a 5-1 win. This could change Tuesday if we lose to Florida

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_servo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ok now I'm starting to get curious about how Guds might murder people in the playoffs, how McCann might play Rust like heroics and how Bjugstad might be a monster in some series.

I got nothing for JJ and ZAR, sorry bros.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+++++++ 5/6 points without Letang/Dumo/Maatta/Rust. Are you serious? Pretty damn incredible.

++++++ Sid/Jake/McCann: What a ****ing game by these guys. McCann constantly enabled Sid/Jake to do their thing. He was constantly backchecking his ass off and playing solid 2 way hockey. Sid/Jake did Sid/Jake things ALL night. Terrific game by those guys. From the drop of the puck to the very end. Terrific.

+ Gudbranson/JJ AGAIN: Same as last night. Nothing but positives to say. JJ has been rock solid. Gudbranson reminds me of Hainsey. Simple/solid. Some minor positioning issues for Gudbranson as he cheats a little strong side and leaves an area weak side pass open, but far from what many of us imagined.

+ Murray: I love the call by Sully to go with the big guy through thick and thin. Murray made key saves and played solid. Well done by #30. We NEEDED to win tonight. Mur was impressive. I ride it out now. Only give Desmith time if needed.

Once again, I'm not going to harp on negatives. This team desperately needed to win games and get points. They got 5/6. Their attention to detail and playing a 5 man game is impressive. It's not perfect but dammit... they are getting it done.

++Sid was just outstanding tonight. That line was just too much for Montreal. Sid and Jake are tremendous, and McCann seemed to compliment the two of them well. What a dominant display.

++Murray was outstanding. I'm sure if I read through the GDT I'll see the usual suspects complaining about the goal he allowed (even though once again it wasn't his fault), but he was the reason the Pens kept their lead even though they played a "bend but didn't break" defense.

++Gudbranson. I gotta give him a couple of pluses simply because he's been so much more solid and dependable than I'd expected. He's still got some positioning issues at times, but overall he's been very solid and dependable.

++4th line. I thought they did their job in the defensive end, and were very good at keeping the puck deep in the Montreal end. Yes, even Wilson.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ok now I'm starting to get curious about how Guds might murder people in the playoffs, how McCann might play Rust like heroics and how Bjugstad might be a monster in some series.

I got nothing for JJ and ZAR, sorry bros.

That's where Im at. The lineup has me excited about the playoffs...but since we've been inconsistent alot havent thought about what these players can do if they get in. JR made some questionable moves but in most of the trades these guys were more built for playoff hockey than regular season.

And we could be seeing the start of another run happening right now. Wasnt this when Hags and Bones started to pick up their games like McCann is doing? Bjugstad isn't dominating the stat sheet but that goal against Buffalo was not something we see from anyone outside of our stars in last years playoffs. Blueger a rookie who is getting full time now that theres room(tho there was before Rust was hurt) and could perform like Rust/Sheary did...who knows.

Still a ways to go but keep this level of play up and pile up wins to get in and I see no reason we dont have a shot.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think it's no no no to Phil for Sid.
More of the coach wanting to make 3 dangerous lines.
But Horny is 100% Sid wanting different.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I picked on Murray a lot after the Buffalo game. He was excellent in Montreal. I think they ride him out and I'm hopeful it continues. Props to him

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Because everyone else has a middle school crush of a chance.
Haha, I'm not sure what this means. I just mean to say we're playing a ton of teams we're neck and neck with down the stretch. If we're gonna earn our way in, we're really gonna earn it by beating direct competition. We're not gonna coast in, beating bottom feeders that have thrown in the towel or anything (though we do play the Rangers a couple times :P ).

Reactions: shoplifter

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Honestly, this team's position could be extremely beneficial. We've been struggling for a long time, but this is the sort of thing that could galvanize a group and really bring the best out of players.

I still think it's entirely fair to say we're a very flawed team in need of a relatively significant re-shuffling this summer, but who knows what could happen between now and then if (and I stress if) we make the post season.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was checking some of the advanced stats and we were beaten soundly, but it felt to me like we carried the play. Maybe a product of playing with the lead.

Are there any sites that keep track of zone time?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I was checking some of the advanced stats and we were beaten soundly, but it felt to me like we carried the play. Maybe a product of playing with the lead.

Theres was stretches of really awful play of the 5 man unit just hanging on for dear life but they were all back and trying their best with the collapsing and leaving the points open thing they like to do now.

Said it in the GDT but it's gonna be a great tape to look at what they're doing wrong in terms of the 2017 PIT style turtle then counter punch.
Lots of puck watching and too much chasing without eliminating bodies going on in their own zone.
But they do have tons of tape from the season to date too which points to a mixture of both preparedness and the roster mix being off.
If they could get Dumo-Letang back shortly that'd be really sweet in terms of the mix. lol

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

That’s just cuz score effects. Pens were defending a big lead for like 50 minutes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That’s just cuz score effects. Pens were defending a big lead for like 50 minutes.

Weren't the shots like 9-4 for Montreal when the Pens took a 3-0 lead? I know the Pens scored 3 on their first 4 shots, but I'm not certain how many the Habs had at the time.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Vancouver fans salty

Nah, we're happy he's gone and know we weren't getting this from him.

We've generally enjoyed Pearson's game ourselves, with Baertschi out he's going to get top-6 reps. They both fit their new team's needs better than the team they left so win/win trade for everybody. I hope Gudbranson keeps this up for you, he's a good guy off the ice and seemed genuinely sorry that he couldn't play better in Vancouver.

Reactions: Doogle and Pete Gas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->