Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: POWERPLAY GOALS, ZAR, EMPTY NETTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think he does too. I'm not demanding he be gone, at all. I'm saying the coach doesn't trust him and doesn't value what he can bring to the team, and we are paying too much money to have a superstar be a third consideration behind lines 1 and 3.
When Malkin gets in a funk, I wouldn't trust him either. The play on Backstrom's goal is evidence of that.

Geno runs hot and cold. He's in a cold spell. So you dial back his play, put him and his line in situations where they can benefit, and ride it out. Then, when he's hot, you get him and his line on the ice more.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think that it is, it's been a major problem under Sullivan and it was under Bylsma. Malkin's potential is wasted under this coach, who consistently watches his line flail around and does almost nothing to change it. You can't pay 9.5 for that.

I do think your Zucker/Brassard take is accurate. Like, he should be good here and he was so publicly targeted by the team for so long that it felt like a match made in heaven.

But there's something missing. For Brassard it was willingness to be an "elite 3C" rather than a meh 2C. For Zucker I sincerely think he lacks some IQ in the offensive zone.

Kapanen should be on the 3rd line either way but I'd hate to move Tanev off of it.

Reactions: vodeni

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
-Literally, can we get a GDT that allows us to vote on who the next DELAY of GAME Penalty will go to...
-Just a few spurts where everyone stopped playing or we had 2-3 bad defense errors then bad goalie play and it was in the back of the net
-L2 needs help. I love Malkin, he's just so out-of-synch with those Wingers. It's not just him, Zucker has no idea how to play with Kap either.
-/+Rust needs to just shoot. 3-4 of his passes were just really bad. Man, if he had some passing touch and vision he would be insanely good.

+Tanev had a great f***ing game.
+Jarry had some big saves. Hopefully, he can start playing better
+L1 is playing good. Guetz and Rust just need to keep shooting
+PP looked much better
+Our bottom pairings (D and L3 and L4) are playing good or above average

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
When Malkin gets in a funk, I wouldn't trust him either. The play on Backstrom's goal is evidence of that.

Geno runs hot and cold. He's in a cold spell. So you dial back his play, put him and his line in situations where they can benefit, and ride it out. Then, when he's hot, you get him and his line on the ice more.

That isn't even close to what's going on here, and it's not something Sullivan has ever done with Geno. He prefers the pluggers and always has.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I was pleasantly surprised with Matheson and Ceci. Otherwise, with this being the first game I have seen, the team looked rather uninspired. If this is the best they have looked than I am glad this was the first I have seen.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Can somebody make a GIF of Wilson hauling down Sid and Sid still scoring for LOLZ.

TcveyuO.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don’t think Zucker is a problem at all. His play for this team has been largely excellent. That line is just a mess.
History and advanced stats show that Zucker does work with Malkin (he works with both Malkin and Crosby). The key is the central figure in that line - Geno. Malkin's in a rut. That doesn't mean you trade him. That doesn't mean he sucks.

It's one of those periods where you have to ride it out. In the past, the Penguins have done that by leaning on other lines to carry play. With the 1st and 3rd lines playing well, they can do that now again.

People just need some patience.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I was pleasantly surprised with Matheson and Ceci. Otherwise, with this being the first game I have seen, the team looked rather uninspired. If this is the best they have looked than I am glad this was the first I have seen.
The third period was easily the best I have seen them look all year. If you managed to miss most of them until now then good on you.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

The Sodfather

Jan 19, 2021
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Not throwing shade at this win, because I’m happy about it. But is anyone else largely unimpressed with Washington? I think they’re the worst team the Pens have played just far. Even the NYR impressed me more.

At the very least the Pens are a poor match up for them. But, yeah. They have looked underwhelming. As someone else pointed out, they are a great PP and really little else. Their defense looks slow, too.

Reactions: ncm7772

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I thought Ceci was supposed to be one of the worst defensemen in the league.

For the last 2.5 years teams have been playing him into his weaknesses, rather than his strengths. The majority of players in the league will look terrible in those situations. As long as they keep utilizing him like this, he will be a solid D man.

Reactions: domaug

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Jesse’s take is more he won the game finally.

Not my reading of it. Besides, to use a fairly blunt force argument, the Caps were expected to get 3.19 goals, they got 3, and one of them was off an absolutely suicidal play by Malkin I'm blaming no goalie for. He did what was expected at least...

Being risk-averse, I wouldn't break up GCR.

Sorry, Geno.

Fair. But something's got to happen.

I for one look forwards to the explosion here when ZAR and Zucker switch lines...

Reactions: BillPrep

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The obvious thing to do is swap LWs.

Zucker played great with Sid, Guentzel played great with Malkin...Its a win - win.

But for some reason it has never been tried since

I'm guessing Sid wants Guentzel.
As much as I want Zucker to get going, I'd 100% roll that 1st line until it slows down. They are winning us games. Getting Sid in a rhythm like this is extremely important for us moving forward. He's getting a lot of O-zone time right now, and looked focused, quick and smart on the PP today.

Would revisit your idea in the future though.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I haven't watched yet, but I had a feeling Tanev was gonna score today. I did not have ZAR getting another of any kind on the bingo card tho :laugh:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not my reading of it. Besides, to use a fairly blunt force argument, the Caps were expected to get 3.19 goals, they got 3, and one of them was off an absolutely suicidal play by Malkin I'm blaming no goalie for. He did what was expected at least...

Fair. But something's got to happen.

I for one look forwards to the explosion here when ZAR and Zucker switch lines...

I wouldn't hate ZAR with Malkin again.

Sad that we've gotten to this point, but here we are.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
First time the Penguins’ compete level was adequate for a full 60 minutes. Something to build on.

I'd agree way more good minutes than bad.

You can tell coach told them to cover the crease. Last 2 games so much different than previous ones.

Gurgs was bringing it up too... they need to start lowering Letangs minutes and balance it out. All our pairing are starting to play good.

I also think that would work for L2 less minutes and get the other lines out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->