Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: POWERPLAY GOALS, ZAR, EMPTY NETTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
L2, as I feared in the summer, our other big issue.

That said, watching today, here's my glass half full take:

Hextall has chips of Zucker and one of Pets/Dumo to solve his goaltending and L2 mix issues.

Would there still be questions? Sure . . . can you trust Matheson and how much of what's ailing Geno has been having Zucker attached to his hip would be the big ones.

I'd still wonder to varying degrees about the mix on the 4th line, BART in the playoffs, what you get from L1 against a good defensive team in the playoffs, which Letang you get, etc, but those are questions that come from you actually making the playoffs.

I can’t see them trading Zucker.

Reactions: Doogle

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I don't want to overreact with ZAR because I got super hyped with Jankowski after only 2 games, but man he looks completely different this year. He looks like an actual 3rd line winger for this team right now, to the point where I'm glad he's a RFA after the year and am glad they kept him.

Just really surprising to see. I thought he was going to be completely toast after that shoulder surgery, but he looks better than ever.
He looks way faster which helps this line to get on to the forecheck a lot better

Reactions: Tom Hanks

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
wAdyVFe.jpg

52zTFdP.jpg

He just made a doo doo in his pants.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Interesting how many people ragging on Jarry, and I look at Twitter and Jesse said he played well.

Also... I know L1 is killing things dead, but flipping the wing pairings between centres is so horrendously obvious as a way forwards I don't know what to say. I near guarantee Sid will continue to kill things.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
L2, as I feared in the summer, our other big issue.

That said, watching today, here's my glass half full take:

Hextall has chips of Zucker and one of Pets/Dumo to solve his goaltending and L2 mix issues.

Would there still be questions? Sure . . . can you trust Matheson and how much of what's ailing Geno has been having Zucker attached to his hip would be the big ones.

I'd still wonder to varying degrees about the mix on the 4th line, BART in the playoffs, what you get from L1 against a good defensive team in the playoffs, which Letang you get, etc, but those are questions that come from you actually making the playoffs.

Do you actually think they are going to move Zucker? I think Hextall/Burke/Sullivan would rather move on from Malkin.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Some really great things to see this game:
Matheson and Ceci were pretty darn good...L1 and L3 are very good lines...Jarry rebounded nicely after giving up a bad couple goals and was tremendous in the third....

some really bad things to see this game:
- L2 continues its discombobulated play and players on there look out of sorts..
- the coaching staff for leaving L2 as is
- L4 is an even worse abomination and collection of replacement level players

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Everyone knows the good things that happened so I'm going to focus on L2.

Malkin needs to be traded or needs to be gone after this season. He's been paid too much to be a distant consideration behind L1 and LINE THREE. Sullivan has never cared for the big Russian and never bothered to make any adjustments that would help him succeed. Other coaches understood that Malkin is and can be a major engine to drive this team to success. It's been a pattern throughout his career. You maximize Malkin's abilities and it always turns out well for the team. Sullivan has never done that and only begrudgingly tailored linemates to Malkin's talents when Crosby was injured, and he broke up the line without a second thought as soon as Crosby returned.

What you're seeing from L2 is a disaster. It's completely pathetic. Like so many other Malkin lines under Bylsma and Sullivan; they could not give two shits about helping this player. The end of this game played out exactly as Sullivan wanted it to: ZAR scoring, the third line playing the last minutes, the first line playing the last minute, and L2 nowhere to be seen. That's pretty terrible for Malkin, who has always thrived on being trusted in the biggest moments.

I'm not here to defend the ONE awful play from Malkin today. He was fine the rest of the game. But my God it's time for him to leave.
Holy overreaction Batman!

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
ZAR was great, Matheson was great, Jarry got the job done and they won in regulation.

Big win IMO.
Jarry just baaaaarely got the job done. It wasn´t pretty at all. Very fragile again. They actually played some defense in front of him too and it still wasn´t pretty.

+++++ - 1st line. They are DOMINATING. Textbook hockey, especially Sid and Rusty. Wow, Rusty´s last season clearly wasn´t a fluke. He is so good. But really, it starts with Sid.

+++++ - Ceci and Matheson. Excellent game by both of them. Kinda shocked but credit to them.

+++ - Tanev, Blueger and ZAR. This line is better with ZAR than it was with McCann imo.

McCann is easily tradeable imo. And so is Zucker.

- Malkin - easy to blame him because he is having a terrible season and made a shocking play on Backstrom´s goal. But other than that I didn´t hate his game at all tonight. Had no support.

+ - Excellent 3rd. They played some determined textbook defense and didn´t allow much to the strong offensive team. Shut the things down and played in the offensive zone a lot.

This team is heading to the right direction. Even the special teams were great today. Two very good powerplays and PK didn´t allow much to the best PP in the league, other than one really fluky goal. We outplayed them in special teams battle and that´s a team that lives and dies by special teams.

Very satisfied. Best game of the season so far. Also this team is 5-0-0 at home so far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Interesting how many people ragging on Jarry, and I look at Twitter and Jesse said he played well.

Also... I know L1 is killing things dead, but flipping the wing pairings between centres is so horrendously obvious as a way forwards I don't know what to say. I near guarantee Sid will continue to kill things.

I think Jesse’s take is more he won the game finally.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Everyone knows the good things that happened so I'm going to focus on L2.

Malkin needs to be traded or needs to be gone after this season. He's been paid too much to be a distant consideration behind L1 and LINE THREE. Sullivan has never cared for the big Russian and never bothered to make any adjustments that would help him succeed. Other coaches understood that Malkin is and can be a major engine to drive this team to success. It's been a pattern throughout his career. You maximize Malkin's abilities and it always turns out well for the team. Sullivan has never done that and only begrudgingly tailored linemates to Malkin's talents when Crosby was injured, and he broke up the line without a second thought as soon as Crosby returned.

What you're seeing from L2 is a disaster. It's completely pathetic. Like so many other Malkin lines under Bylsma and Sullivan; they could not give two shits about helping this player. The end of this game played out exactly as Sullivan wanted it to: ZAR scoring, the third line playing the last minutes, the first line playing the last minute, and L2 nowhere to be seen. That's pretty terrible for Malkin, who has always thrived on being trusted in the biggest moments.

I'm not here to defend the ONE awful play from Malkin today. He was fine the rest of the game. But my God it's time for him to leave.
Nah. He deserves to retire here. I’m not gonna bail on the guy that absolutely carried us for several years because he’s finally getting old. Call him out, sure. But demand he be gone? No thanks.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Not throwing shade at this win, because I’m happy about it. But is anyone else largely unimpressed with Washington? I think they’re the worst team the Pens have played just far. Even the NYR impressed me more.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Being risk-averse, I wouldn't break up GCR.

Sorry, Geno.

Reactions: radapex

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
+ compete level, first line, power play finally did something

- goaltending once again over 2 goals, second line still not a great mix, the usual

Reactions: domaug

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
This team isn’t devoid of talent in any area... it probably needs some shotblocking guys if they are hanging with sully... he absolutely needs that... but honestly everyone wanting to totally rebuild is insane... this isn’t a team that you cannot win with... including at goal... Jarry is young and he will have bumps, especially when the d is mashed potatoes, but as soon as he gets confident again he can be a huge asset especially with his stickwork when he is playing well....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tbh. I don’t think it is.

It must be nice to just be able to play hockey without your GM threatening to trade everyone in the media.

The only thing I don't know is what Hextall wants to do with L2.

If he's planning to keep Malkin after next season, then Zucker has to be dealt before Sullivan does more permanent damage.

OR, perhaps he wants Malkin to ask for a trade, which could explain why Sullivan has Zucker there despite the absolute insanity at this point of it.

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Trade Malkin? You are an idiot.

Now trade Zucker, that makes a lot more sense. There is nothing I have seen from Zucker that indicates he is currently a top 6 player in the NHL. On this team, I am not sure Zucker is even an improvement on our L4 wingers. Trading Zucker improves the Penguins more than any other move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad