Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: POWERPLAY GOALS, ZAR, EMPTY NETTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d assume the deal would be around McCann.

And a LD?

They don't exactly have the cap space.

EDIT: Will add this . . . one added thing I like about Jenner is that as a guy who can play C, he can work a hybrid role with Malkin a la Talbot. But, end of the day, whether he can or he can't, you 100% want someone like Jenner in that L2 LW slot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And a LD?

They don't exactly have the cap space.

EDIT: Will add this . . . one added thing I like about Jenner is that as a guy who can play C, he can work a hybrid role with Malkin a la Talbot. But, end of the day, whether he can or he can't, you 100% want someone like Jenner in that L2 LW slot.

Dumoulin for Jenner and a pick would be cool with me.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
History and advanced stats show that Zucker does work with Malkin (he works with both Malkin and Crosby). The key is the central figure in that line - Geno. Malkin's in a rut. That doesn't mean you trade him. That doesn't mean he sucks.

It's one of those periods where you have to ride it out. In the past, the Penguins have done that by leaning on other lines to carry play. With the 1st and 3rd lines playing well, they can do that now again.

People just need some patience.
you just don't just ride it out, you make changes. mix it up a little, sit someone for a game, anything but don't keep throwing them out there expecting things to magically get better i mean that over time it could work. but if you want to speed it up you need to jump start it some how. imo

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
All of these stats re Zucker are just showing what anyone could tell you by watching him: he’s not working out here...who cares what the possession stats show. He’s not a playmaker and doesn’t make much happen on his line. Therefore, the best use of him is a line where he’s going to score more goals closer to the net, as he’s not a sniper....this is why I think the best use of him is with Sid...because except for the occasional breakaway, Geno’s line spends a lot less time in the O zone and close to the goalie...Zucker was more productive with Sid is my recollection...G needs a second playmaker at this point on his line...why I favor Jake there

if Zucker isn’t playing on Sid’s line, we might as well look to trade him in all seriousness...what a waste of potentially an unprotected first round pick...but I wasn’t enamored with obtaining him like some of you were, also for the length of his contract and the price we paid
we are at a point that we are doing the same thing we did to horny , we are now doing to zuc,

Reactions: Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You aren’t living in reality cuz.

I’m constantly asking myself “what is their best hope of making the playoffs and not giving the Wild a top 10 pick?”

I’m living within the parameters of reality... the reality where:

- they have basically no picks or prospects to fix anything

- Crosby and Malkin are aging

- Letang is more liability than the #1 he used to be

- the second line is a mess

- the fourth line blows

And you want to bitch about BART like this is some contending team and that line will hold them back?

Where is your head bro?
You’ve accepted mediocrity, fam.

If you upgrade the third line, you likely improve the fourth line as well. The first line is okay, and the defense will likely improve now that it’s getting healthy.

I think this team could still be a playoff team with some tweaks. I think the team could honestly be a contender if Sully goes.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
L2 and goaltending can be addressed. Hextall has the pieces.

Then you look at mix related questions, but those arent heavy price tag items.

So, in terms of positioning the roster for a run, the pieces are there.

Whether it all crystallizes like 2016 or 2017 is another matter, but it's one even the top contenders have.
when we have a coach that for some reason he refuses to put players in a role to succeed. we could trade for a goalie and sully would play him at wing.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
can't believe anyone would want to breakup the Guentz Sid Rust line. When you have a line that dominant you don't mess with it.
The other team can throw the kitchen sink at them and they still drive play into the offensive zone and score. It's not like the top line is getting shutdown.

Malkin has two talented wingers. Are they the perfect linemates? Perhaps not. But they should be able to find a way to make it work. It could be this is what we get from 34 year old Geno. I do think that if it continues we look at moving Zucker for a better linemate for Malkin. But those sort of things are unlikely to happen before the off season. Unless something presents itself it sure looks like Hextall/Burke are going to evaluate. Let the guys make a run and then based on what happens tinker in the offseason. Only exception being we need to stabilize the goal tending situation. Last game we were fortunate that we weren't facing Varlomov again. We probably still win but it really is coming down to the goal tending. I salute our team for not going in the tank after that first goal against. We played the best we've played on the PK this year, against the best PP in the league. and then a soft redirect goes in. Jarry didn't see it, but that's part of the problem he's not fighting for sight lines as well as last year, that and he's playing at least a foot deeper in net then last season. He's out another foot and even though he doesn't see it it hits him.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zucker - McCann - Sceviour is a line that has an identity and can mimic what Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist did for the team last winter.

That of course leaves a gaping hole for Malkin on 2nd LW. But hasn’t that been an issue since 2009?

Except 2013. Credit to Dan Bylsma's genius strategy of moving a HoF RW to Geno's left wing to address that!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
you just don't just ride it out, you make changes. mix it up a little, sit someone for a game, anything but don't keep throwing them out there expecting things to magically get better i mean that over time it could work. but if you want to speed it up you need to jump start it some how. imo

I think that's easier said than done. If the top line was struggling, it would be easier...but it's not, it's rockin and rolling. That means you mix it up with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. Well the 3rd line is currently BART and they have been good and are a known quantity...so I have trouble seeing Sullivan mixing that up. And who would it be that goes up? Tanev? ZAR? Do either provide a better line than what Zucker is currently?

So how about the 4th line? We okay, maybe you switch Zucker with Lafferty...or Sceviour...but then Zucker is going to be wasted on the 4th line and I have little faith that Laff or Scevs can provide a better product than Zucker.

So, while I don't like it, I think riding it out is our best option without moves. Now if we move McCann for Bennett, then you can look at something like putting Zucker with Bennett.

Jake-Sid-Rust
ZAR-Malkin-Kapanen
Zucker-Bennett-Lafferty
DOC/Sevior-Bleuger-Tanev

It's a tough spot to be in currently with this roster as is, with players performing as-is. The best solution is Zucker gets better, lol. Or if you can switch him and Jake.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Except 2013. Credit to Dan Bylsma's genius strategy of moving a HoF RW to Geno's left wing to address that!

Let me tell you the tale of a little-known winger named James Neal who at the time had the nickname "The Real Deal". He rarely washed his hair but man could he shoot. He was a LW...who converted to RW with success.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You’ve accepted mediocrity, fam.

If you upgrade the third line, you likely improve the fourth line as well. The first line is okay, and the defense will likely improve now that it’s getting healthy.

I think this team could still be a playoff team with some tweaks. I think the team could honestly be a contender if Sully goes.

I've accepted reality, cuz. You obviously haven't reading that last sentence.

This is already a playoff team right now - third place in the East, and they haven't even played as well as they can yet.

You think there is some miracle trade out there this season that makes them cup contenders?

Are the Bruins and TB going to all get Covid and bow out of the big show? Pens have won 1 out of their last 10 playoff games - did you forget that?

This is why you get so angry all the time round here - expectations are out of whack. You literally rant about how JR f***ed shit up, then on the other side of your mouth talk about how they could be contenders...

Dude...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I've accepted reality, cuz. You obviously haven't reading that last sentence.

This is already a playoff team right now - third place in the East, and they haven't even played as well as they can yet.

You think there is some miracle trade out there this season that makes them cup contenders?

Are the Bruins and TB going to all get Covid and bow out of the big show? Pens have won 1 out of their last 10 playoff games - did you forget that?

This is why you get so angry all the time round here - expectations are out of whack. You literally rant about how JR f***ed shit up, then on the other side of your mouth talk about how they could be contenders...

Dude...
JR ruined the team this off season, but I still have some hope it can be salvaged. But it will require firing the head coach, overhauling the third line, and finding a LW to play with Geno.

Well, they also will likely need a goalie. That is a long list of mistakes to address, so you might be right. But even if they fix half of the issues, we could at least be a better team.

It’ll be interesting to see if Hextall does anything. There are some obvious changes that have to be made that do not require watching this team for months. I think you have a couple of decent assets they you could deal in McCann and Dumo.

It’s a tall task for Hextall, that’s for sure. JR is a piece of garbage.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Don't know many 4th liners that play between 16 - 18 a night.

I mean you can play anyone a lot of minutes.

Jenner had a pretty poor year last season. 24 points, -14. His metrics haven't been good either. Idk. I'm all for trying to get a good 4C like Jenner at a reasonable cost.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
JR ruined the team this off season, but I still have some hope it can be salvaged. But it will require firing the head coach, overhauling the third line, and finding a LW to play with Geno.

Well, they also will likely need a goalie. That is a long list of mistakes to address, so you might be right. But even if they fix half of the issues, we could at least be a better team.

It’ll be interesting to see if Hextall does anything. There are some obvious changes that have to be made that do not require watching this team for months. I think you have a couple of decent assets they you could deal in McCann and Dumo.

It can be salvaged - this offseason.

Until then, be happy they have a competent third line for once.

One that will hopefully help avoid giving Minny a top ten pick.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What I love about being a part of Pens fandom is that we get to re-litigate the dumbest personel moves over decades in new and innovative forms. Mad about Hornqvist? Welcome to the Stevens trade. Longing for a hardworking blueliner who gives his all every game and hits everyone (or shoots the puck)- welcome to Orpik. Wishing we had a blueliner who was a PPQB, but also mad that he isn't a solid defensive defenseman? See: Stackhouse, Ron; Zubov, Sergei; Coffey, Paul; Whitney, Sugarplum Fairy; and Gonchar, Sergei.

Like elephants, we never forget. And we're only occasionally hunted and killed for the aphrodisiac powers of our teeth.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I just can’t be excited that our fourth line from last year is now our third line. It’s like the Rodrigues situation, how did that clown go from crushing nachos on the press box in the playoffs to playing top line mins for KK?

Clearly we are not going to agree on this issue. You think this line will somehow save this team while I think it’ll hurt it.

People greatly overrate Tanev and Blueger on this site, so I suspect many will praise the line regardless of how it actually plays.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Ruined the team this off-season??? How do you figure that. Added Kapanen at RW and shipped out Hornqvist at RW so that is a big improvement while also with an eye to the future being 9 years younger and 10 times faster.

On defense getting rid of our worst defensman in JJ and Schultz and bring in Matheson and Ceci and that is a big improvement with those guys also.

So if your biggest gripe is his choices of two players making the minimum with Jankowski and Rodriguez then what the heck are you talking about? Hornqvist needed to go! You don't keep $5.3 million mid 30's winger that is not playing in your top 6. Matheson only cost $3 million this season in real money and Rutherford had to cut real money under $75 million. So while you are switching one bad contract for another all take my chances on the 26 year old defensman with good skill and skating pulling a Niskanen/Schultz over a winger we already knew was not going to be in our top 6 and was on the worst line during our playoffs last season.

We have had plenty of offensive production from our 3rd line and we have the forwards to make a great top 6 if we need to switch it up. We have the defensman to get the job done thanks to Rutherford adding Pettersson, Marino, POJ, Matheson, and Ceci. The team just needs to get a veteran netminder and they never cost much in trades even the good ones. We can survive with a 4th line of whoever works out best of Rodriguez, Sceviour, ZAR/McCann, Jankowski, O'Connor, and Lafferty. Give me that goaltender and I can live with the rest. Not going to have a perfect team with the self imposed real money cap.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I just can’t be excited that our fourth line from last year is now our third line. It’s like the Rodrigues situation, how did that clown go from crushing nachos on the press box in the playoffs to playing top line mins for KK?

Clearly we are not going to agree on this issue. You think this line will somehow save this team while I think it’ll hurt it.

People greatly overrate Tanev and Blueger on this site, so I suspect many will praise the line regardless of how it actually plays.

They basically were the third line last season if you look at their deployment, so I don’t see why it’s a big surprise they are officially now the third line.

And who said they are ‘saving’ this team?

No one is saving them - you gotta deal with that my man.

All they are doing is helping them make the playoffs and prevent this org from the embarrassment of pissing away a top ten pick.

That line has had a big hand in getting them the last four points, which last I checked, is a good thing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'm not sure it can't be salvaged now.

Not to the tune of 2016 depth, of course, but it's clear that the L2 mix and goaltending are your two red flags. It's also clear that Zucker and one of Dumo/Pets are your bullets to address those two spots. It's enough . . . or at least it's no less than JR had to work with in December 2015.

BUT, Hextall has to be right on the two big moves and the tweaking like JR got it right then.

If he does, then anything is possible. Likely? Nah. But, at least the questions aren't the sort that scream 'one and done'.

Reactions: The Old Master
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->