Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I love Murray and Letang playing on their top level more than I love my mother.

I wouldn’t go that far but if Murray is playing like this in the playoffs I think we are the Cup favorites. When we won the Cups Murray was a big reason for it. Getting top end goalie play has always been a factor in who wins the Cup.

Letang playing like a Norris defenseman brings this team to another level.

Really think this team has the makings to be as good as the first Cup team of the back to backs. It was hard going the second time without Letang. Too think that Cup team didn’t have Guentzel. I think this supporting cast can be better than that team. The scary thing is we are playing this good lately without Schultz. That is going to be like adding a top 4 defenseman to the team at the trade deadline. Schultz will have some games under his belt by that time. You also know JR will trade to upgrade something most likely by then. I was thinking Simon’s spot but he is looking better and better lately. Maybe Brassard? Although I still hold out hope he can produce at past levels.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Howe was great for a LONG time and is definitely top 4 ever, but I'd like to hear your argument for him over Mario. Mario did as much or more in about half the games. Howe has Cups on Mario... but in a 6-team league.

Unless you place a premium on longevity, there is NO way you can argue that Howe was better than Lemieux.

Béliveau is underated often (better than Rocket, IMHO). Like Rocket more because of his social importance (Béliveau was mostly the good docile classy establishment guy).
I know you probably know who had the most goals and points for the Canadiens from 55-56 to 59-60 when they won 5 straight Cups...
Any guess who had the most penalty minutes?

The argument for Howe is a more complete game than Mario, along with longevity vs shortened career/injuries.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I know you probably know who had the most goals and points for the Canadiens from 55-56 to 59-60 when they won 5 straight Cups...
Any guess who had the most penalty minutes?

The argument for Howe is a more complete game than Mario, along with longevity vs shortened career/injuries.

Please do not ever quote 5 straight cups from an era with six teams.

:teach2:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Can the Penguins overcome their fear of the blackhawks to keep the streak going?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My go to looked for sign of a long losing streak coming is when someone on the main boards asks if anyone can stop the Pens and you may as well award the Pens the cup now.

Hasn't happened yet, but give it time.

At that point I start looking who is available near the top of the draft this year.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
by the way, I keep bringing this up, so sue me:

amazing to look at this team now, and look back at where we were when the Dupuis comments were made. I know you can be concerned about Geno (I'm not), but the team is playing their ass off, they finally look structured, and the pieces are starting to look like they make some sense.

duper still doing this team a solid 3 years later :sarcasm:

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My go to looked for sign of a long losing streak coming is when someone on the main boards asks if anyone can stop the Pens and you may as well award the Pens the cup now.

Hasn't happened yet, but give it time.

At that point I start looking who is available near the top of the draft this year.

Pennies beat the craps twice this year. Both games were hugely important - or null to the early point getters means zip crowd - Pens looked great both games.
One was incredibly early in the season one was just about the time this streak started. Penguins don't worry me, just get into the post.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Looking at the box score...

Pearson only played 9 minutes even strength. Phil 10:33, Brass 11. Cullen's line played slightly more than them.

Speaking of Cullen, he should be getting a mandatory drug test in the morning.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Also that Johnson-Pettersson pairing has been doing so well. Johnson had the 2nd most minutes on the team tonight and was a +2. That pairing was the 2nd pairing tonight. Pettersson had the 4th most minutes. Pettersson has really looked good in all 3 zones. That was a great trade. I really believe Pettersson can become as good as Dumoulin. For is light as he is it never seems to bother his play and if he can add on some weight He had another level to get to. 22 is young for a defenseman and he has much more development time to reach his peak. Johnson is a great person to pair him with because he is so physical and can clear the net. Those 2 really compliment each other.

What can you say more about Letang? 27 minutes tonight shutting down the Jets best players. Can’t remember any great scoring chances. Team defense has really done a great job lately.

If Johnson can somehow get to an even rating that would be something, pairing him with Petterson has done wonders for him.
A very solid 3rd pairing.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's huge that the Malkin line is starting to score. Need that secondary scoring from them to keep this going.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think Rust with Sid helps keep that line from getting hemmed in. It may not finish like we'd like, but they're pretty dominant.

Simon is finding his game. Leave it alone with Malkin and PH for now. Malkin doesn't look like trash anymore so that's good.

The third line isn't nearly as good as it should be, but as long as they occasionally score and make the opposition worry about them to some extent, they're a net positive.

I wanted Cullen here from the beginning back in 2015. Huge fan. But even I was convinced he was done earlier this year. Hopefully he can maintain this level, because we're back to having a clear advantage at center again if so. And that's even with Brassard's invisible act.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Really liking Pettersson. His possession numbers are decent enough, and he just....looks good. I dunno. One of those guys where the stats don't tell the whole story. Like Paul Martin or Dumo. Just so reliable back there.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think Rust with Sid helps keep that line from getting hemmed in. It may not finish like we'd like, but they're pretty dominant.

Simon is finding his game. Leave it alone with Malkin and PH for now. Malkin doesn't look like trash anymore so that's good.

The third line isn't nearly as good as it should be, but as long as they occasionally score and make the opposition worry about them to some extent, they're a net positive.

I wanted Cullen here from the beginning back in 2015. Huge fan. But even I was convinced he was done earlier this year. Hopefully he can maintain this level, because we're back to having a clear advantage at center again if so. And that's even with Brassard's invisible act.
Not really an act now is it. More like the traveling show.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

"On paper" that third line should be really good. Pearson/Brassard/Kessel is as good as most teams' second lines. Heck, they'd probably be Arizona's top line. It's kind of disappointing that Brassard's not producing more with those two.

But as long as the other lines are clicking and that line can chip in on occasion, it's one of the reasons I'm fine with not moving on from Brassard. That line still has the potential to break out in the playoffs and be the kind of difference maker HBK was for us in 2016.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
"On paper" that third line should be really good. Pearson/Brassard/Kessel is as good as most teams' second lines. Heck, they'd probably be Arizona's top line. It's kind of disappointing that Brassard's not producing more with those two.

But as long as the other lines are clicking and that line can chip in on occasion, it's one of the reasons I'm fine with not moving on from Brassard. That line still has the potential to break out in the playoffs and be the kind of difference maker HBK was for us in 2016.

Oh no. Ohhhhhh no.
It wont happen with Brassard.

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
Who is going to sit when Schultz is coming back, because Pettersson looks great?

Something like this

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Maatta - Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad