Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm so hard up for an NHL game on PC I downloaded NHL 96 (fond momeories, lol) for SNES... hell, I think I might even play Bill Walsh College Football.
These games are still fun, btw.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
oh, ONE MORE THING

Crosby, the old guy who is way past his prime, is actually looking/is playing better than he has since... gosh, since before the first concussion? I'm not saying he's going to continue to get better as he gets older, but holy cow, he's playing amazing right now. I don't care if he wins the Hart or the Art Ross, if he's playing like this, and Geno can be anything close to Geno, this team is winning the whole damn thing.

Sid is playing better than that period arguably because his D game has been immense.

Than again does it really matter when you were scoring like he was at that point.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I think Pettersson can do much better away from Johnson.

JJ is killing or not helping offence going pretty much all the time.

Him mauling some guys behind the net/on boards was the only thing going for him tonight (and recently? as I understand). Other than that he looks his average self. He's not hurting the team much right now, but he is still meh.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Him mauling some guys behind the net/on boards was the only thing going for him tonight (and recently? as I understand). Other than that he looks his average self. He's not hurting the team much right now, but he is still meh.

Well, if he is doing that on your third pair and you manage his usage...

PKs well, you "hide" him 5v5, can be a useful player.

He is still a dumb player, but if you can get a positive contribution, I will not complain.

I do wanna see what MP can do with Schultz though and JJ-Maatta as a third pairing has disaster written all over it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He defends well skating back if he’s one on one with someone. He won’t let them get by him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
by the way, I keep bringing this up, so sue me:

amazing to look at this team now, and look back at where we were when the Dupuis comments were made. I know you can be concerned about Geno (I'm not), but the team is playing their ass off, they finally look structured, and the pieces are starting to look like they make some sense.

I really have been bad at taking notes lately on some of the x's and o's differences I see. It was the holidays so i just relaxed and watched games with my folks. But I have noticed some easy to see changes to the PP breakout and movement. They rarely use the drop to Kess. There is a ton of movement and support. I think the obvious one is flipping sides and how much Sid roams around. He doesn't just stand on that bottom goal line for the deflections. He moves everywhere.

The defensive support is insane. I really need to start focusing harder or just buy tickets in the end zone and take a look further into what they are doing. It's a thing of beauty.

So... props to Sully?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think Johnson’s good play has much more to do with Pettersson than Johnson just like his good play with Savard.

That being said, he’s looking like a less offensively inclined Ian Cole out there.

Curious to see him in the playoffs.

Pettersson has been great and Johnson finally has a partner he gels with but I don’t think it is all just Pettersson carrying him. Johnson is the player getting the more minutes and he has been real solid in his play. It is not like Pettersson is needing to bail Johnson out. They both have been so solid and have been supporting each other so well. I can’t see separating these two.

When Schultz gets back I think it really comes down to who plays best with him. I think our defense will be lights out when that happens. In my opinion we have one of they best top pairings in the NHL and very well could have 6 defenseman that could play top 4 minutes when Schultz gets some games under his belt. I even like Riikola enough to believe he could handle 2nd pairing minutes also if injuries required it which would make 7.

I thought the Pettersson trade was good value at the time but I am starting to think it was a steal. When JR made the Dumoulin comparison for Pettersson’s upside I thought that was a very low chance back then. Now I really believe he could develop into that level of a defenseman. At 22 he is way ahead of what Dumoulin was. Honestly I think with some added weight he might already be that good. The way he see’s the ice and plays such a solid positioning game I am just so impressed.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I dunno. He was so dominant in 2011 we probably roll through the East with that D and a healthy Sid and Malkin.

Probably resulting in Vancouver’s 1st Cup.

I think Boston stops us. Thomas was on fire and they would have isolated Sid 5v5. He would not have played Bergeron to a draw like he could do now. Ok, Jake is a big factor there, not just Sid's defense.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Well, if he is doing that on your third pair and you manage his usage...

PKs well, you "hide" him 5v5, can be a useful player.

He is still a dumb player, but if you can get a positive contribution, I will not complain.

I do wanna see what MP can do with Schultz though and JJ-Maatta as a third pairing has disaster written all over it.
In ideal world, you get rid of JJ and run
Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz(assuming we get good Schultz back)
Maatta-Riikola

But in reality, JJ isn't going anywhere and big PR machine will continue to feed the general public about how he's such a good player and defensive juggernaut.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
My favorite is always NHL 93 on sega genesis wore out a few controllers on that game.

NHLPA_Hockey_93.png

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm so hard up for an NHL game on PC I downloaded NHL 96 (fond momeories, lol) for SNES... hell, I think I might even play Bill Walsh College Football.
These games are still fun, btw.

NHL 94 gets all the hype and it is a great game, but NHL 96 is the pinnacle of video game hockey IMO.

The gameplay's just as addicting but the controls are a lot tighter.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
In ideal world, you get rid of JJ and run
Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz(assuming we get good Schultz back)
Maatta-Riikola

But in reality, JJ isn't going anywhere and big PR machine will continue to feed the general public about how he's such a good player and defensive juggernaut.

I think JJ brings that net clearing presence that is important to have on a team. I really don’t think his play is all because of Pettersson. They both play well together but show me all the plays when Pettersson has had to bail him out. They both have supported each other well.

Like I said JJ has been the one playing the more minutes and by a good margin and he has been a +8 over his last 16 games. I don’t think you separate that pairing as long as they both keep playing at this level. Johnson had the 2nd most minutes tonight and has had top 3 minutes for many games over that time. I don’t see him getting sheltered minutes when he has been playing that many minutes per game. Tell me how that makes sense? Of course the Dumoulin-Letang pairing gets all the toughest assignments but that should happen and does happen with every teams top pairing.

When Schultz gets back I think it will be Maatta-Schultz. I wouldn’t mind seeing how Riikola-Schultz would do but I don’t think he will get that opportunity unless injuries or poor play by that pairing occurs.

Reactions: StroShow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad