Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nice, just saw CBJ lost. Tell myself every year I'm not gonna pay attention to the out of town score board, but it never works.

Yeah wishing for opponents is something I won't do. You can wish for an 8 seed and get upset. You can hate to go up against the toughest team and win. There is just nothing you can do. Accept what you get and find a way. That's the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

But even though i say that, I LOVE tuning into these games and rooting against teams. It is so much fun.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Also that Johnson-Pettersson pairing has been doing so well. Johnson had the 2nd most minutes on the team tonight and was a +2. That pairing was the 2nd pairing tonight. Pettersson had the 4th most minutes. Pettersson has really looked good in all 3 zones. That was a great trade. I really believe Pettersson can become as good as Dumoulin. For is light as he is it never seems to bother his play and if he can add on some weight He had another level to get to. 22 is young for a defenseman and he has much more development time to reach his peak. Johnson is a great person to pair him with because he is so physical and can clear the net. Those 2 really compliment each other.

What can you say more about Letang? 27 minutes tonight shutting down the Jets best players. Can’t remember any great scoring chances. Team defense has really done a great job lately.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah wishing for opponents is something I won't do. You can wish for an 8 seed and get upset. You can hate to go up against the toughest team and win. There is just nothing you can do. Accept what you get and find a way. That's the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

But even though i say that, I LOVE tuning into these games and rooting against teams. It is so much fun.
Something about watching other teams - not the penguins - is satisfying. It's stress-free in a way.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Also that Johnson-Pettersson pairing has been doing so well. Johnson had the 2nd most minutes on the team tonight and was a +2. That pairing was the 2nd pairing tonight. Pettersson had the 4th most minutes. Pettersson has really looked good in all 3 zones. That was a great trade. I really believe Pettersson can become as good as Dumoulin. For is light as he is it never seems to bother his play and if he can add on some weight He had another level to get to. 22 is young for a defenseman and he has much more development time to reach his peak. Johnson is a great person to pair him with because he is so physical and can clear the net. Those 2 really compliment each other.

What can you say more about Letang? 27 minutes tonight shutting down the Jets best players. Can’t remember any great scoring chances. Team defense has really done a great job lately.

One thing about Johnson. Twice tonight he just physically "erased" his man... not in the corner but when the Jets were on a rush. It was impressive.

He still has low hockey IQ, but he sure can defend one on one.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Hawks are up next. Well, we've lost nine in a row to them and we are on an eight game winning streak while largely coming off a pretty strong performance. I say we finally beat them, I'll guess 5-2, something along those lines.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
A anti-French bias. Never forget that one. That's also the only reason why people in English Canada rank Mario behind Howe (which is ridiculous) and Orr (which is a nice conversation with arguments on both sides). Letang would have to absolutely destroy the league to get the English-Canadian media to recognize him. Won't happen, especially not with two Canadian guys playing on Canadian teams in the race.
I have Howe over Mario on career...and that's coming from a die hard Beliveau (the 1950's/60's version of Mario) fan, and "English Maritimer" born in Shawinigan.
Mario can be argued as having the highest talent level ever (along with Orr and Gretzky) but Howe (and Beliveau IMO) had greater careers. Crosby could possibly as well by the time he is done.
I don't think it is ridiculous to hold that opinion, any more than Jesse Owens over Usain Bolt, if Bolt had struggled with injuries after his first Olympics.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I believe this sums up Pens fans thoughts on our current win streak and overall team play:

Attachments

• giphy (3).gif
    giphy (3).gif
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: 66Lemieux

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I haven't seen bunch of recent games, but had an impression that goaltending, first line and PP have been carring the Pens to wins in that stretch.

Tonight really looked like a good team effort and team defending and puck movement all looked on solid level. Seems like Pens can have 3 out of 4 lines going on any night now, but we'll see.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
One thing about Johnson. Twice tonight he just physically "erased" his man... not in the corner but when the Jets were on a rush. It was impressive.

He still has low hockey IQ, but he sure can defend one on one.

Since Johnson has simplified his game and started playing with Pettersson he has been a +8 with 4 points in his last 16 games. He has been playing top 4 minutes and doing well. Tonight Johnson had the 2nd most minutes of the defenseman. His stay at home physical style has really gelled with Pettersson’s smart mobile style. Johnson also does great on the PK.

I really don’t even fault Johnson for his first 19 games when he was a -10. He was getting used to a new team, new pairing partners, and was just trying to do too much. Many defenseman better than him had a longer time adjusting to the Pens (Gonchar and Martin come to mind).

When Johnson stays within himself he can be very effective. 2 years ago in 2016-17 season he was a very good stay at home defenseman during that year with 23 points and a +23 in 82 games played. I agree when Johnson try’s to be an offensive defenseman like most of his career his hockey IQ is lacking. I think when Johnson keeps it simple he is a legit top 4 defenseman.

Pettersson has been a godsend and is so much better than I expected.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I have Howe over Mario on career...and that's coming from a die hard Beliveau (the 1950's/60's version of Mario) fan, and "English Maritimer" born in Shawinigan.
Mario can be argued as having the highest talent level ever (along with Orr and Gretzky) but Howe (and Beliveau IMO) had greater careers. Crosby could possibly as well by the time he is done.
I don't think it is ridiculous to hold that opinion, any more than Jesse Owens over Usain Bolt, if Bolt had struggled with injuries after his first Olympics.

Howe was great for a LONG time and is definitely top 4 ever, but I'd like to hear your argument for him over Mario. Mario did as much or more in about half the games. Howe has Cups on Mario... but in a 6-team league.

Unless you place a premium on longevity, there is NO way you can argue that Howe was better than Lemieux.

Béliveau is underated often (better than Rocket, IMHO). Like Rocket more because of his social importance (Béliveau was mostly the good docile classy establishment guy).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Since Johnson has simplified his game and started playing with Pettersson he has been a +8 with 4 points in his last 16 games. He has been playing top 4 minutes and doing well. Tonight Johnson had the 2nd most minutes of the defenseman. His stay at home physical style has really gelled with Pettersson’s smart mobile style. Johnson also does great on the PK. I really don’t even fault Johnson for his first 19 games when he was a -10. He was getting used to a new team, new pairing partners, and was just trying to do too much. When Johnson stays within himself he can be very effective. 2 years ago he was a very good stay at home defenseman during that year.

Pettersson has been a godsend and is so much better than I expected.

I think Johnson’s good play has much more to do with Pettersson than Johnson just like his good play with Savard.

That being said, he’s looking like a less offensively inclined Ian Cole out there.

Curious to see him in the playoffs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the Penguins:

1) haven't got their 2nd line straightened out
2) are missing their 2nd best offensive dman
3) probably need to address their 3C
4) have one of the most active, aggressive, NEED-TO-WIN GMs in the league

and are playing some incredible hockey right now.

If you don't think this team is gonna be a force come the playoffs, you're just looking for reasons to hate life.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
by the way, I keep bringing this up, so sue me:

amazing to look at this team now, and look back at where we were when the Dupuis comments were made. I know you can be concerned about Geno (I'm not), but the team is playing their ass off, they finally look structured, and the pieces are starting to look like they make some sense.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
by the way, I keep bringing this up, so sue me:

amazing to look at this team now, and look back at where we were when the Dupuis comments were made. I know you can be concerned about Geno (I'm not), but the team is playing their ass off, they finally look structured, and the pieces are starting to look like they make some sense.

So basically, Dupuis is a hero.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
the Penguins:

1) haven't got their 2nd line straightened out
2) are missing their 2nd best offensive dman
3) probably need to address their 3C
4) have one of the most active, aggressive, NEED-TO-WIN GMs in the league

and are playing some incredible hockey right now.

If you don't think this team is gonna be a force come the playoffs, you're just looking for reasons to hate life.
oh, ONE MORE THING

Crosby, the old guy who is way past his prime, is actually looking/is playing better than he has since... gosh, since before the first concussion? I'm not saying he's going to continue to get better as he gets older, but holy cow, he's playing amazing right now. I don't care if he wins the Hart or the Art Ross, if he's playing like this, and Geno can be anything close to Geno, this team is winning the whole damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->