Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only guy that concerns me is still ZAR. I know how the org views him and if they keep trying to push him into the top six I’m going to be pissed and have obviously been quite adamant I believe that is foolish thinking on their parts.

He's on a 4 game point streak though and has 8 points in his last 12 games. I don't know how you can still be concerned by him. You may not like the way he looks when he plays, but he's giving great results right now.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He's on a 4 game point streak though and has 8 points in his last 12 games. I don't know how you can still be concerned by him. You may not like the way he looks when he plays, but he's giving great results right now.

I’ve already said it countless times - the org views him as a budding top six power fwd, and I couldn’t disagree anymore. That means he’s going to be forced with Crosby or Malkin at some point, maybe soon, maybe next year, but it’s what they are hoping for and the idea makes me ill.

Those guys don’t want to play with pluggers, especially Crosby. There’s a reason Hornqvist doesn’t play with him, and ZAR isn’t even on the same planet as Horny.

If ZAR was simply viewed as a bottom sixer, I’d like him a shit load more, despite his potato feet.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’ve already said it countless times - the org views him as a budding top six power fwd, and I couldn’t disagree anymore. That means he’s going to be forced with Crosby or Malkin at some point, maybe soon, maybe next year, but it’s what they are hoping for and the idea makes me ill.

Those guys don’t want to play with pluggers, especially Crosby. There’s a reason Hornqvist doesn’t play with him, and ZAR isn’t even on the same planet as Horny.

If ZAR was simply viewed as a bottom sixer, I’d like him a **** load more, despite his potato feet.

Eh I don't think Sullivan is the kind of coach that pigeon-holes a guy into a spot he doesn't fit, to be honest. As long as the Penguins have Rust, Guentzel, Simon, Hornqvist and Kessel under contract, I'm not too worried about them playing ZAR in the top-6. They may view him as a potential top-6 forward, but there's just too many good top-9 wingers for him to stick there if he's not playing to that caliber.

I think he'll probably end up being the long term LWer for the 3rd line that goes into the top-6 when Rust or Hornqvist gets hurt. Outside of injuries, I don't think it's super likely he breaks into the top-6 long-term. He'll either be viewed as the physical winger to complement Kessel or as a part of a shutdown 3rd line. They may view him as a budding top-6 caliber forward, but I'm not sure that means they plan on using him in the top-6 going forward. If you don't like his game, you can at least calm your fears because the Penguins will likely have the coach and the wing depth where he won't stick in the top-6 unless he performs.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Eh I don't think Sullivan is the kind of coach that pigeon-holes a guy into a spot he doesn't fit, to be honest. As long as the Penguins have Rust, Guentzel, Simon, Hornqvist and Kessel under contract, I'm not too worried about them playing ZAR in the top-6. They may view him as a potential top-6 forward, but there's just too many good top-9 wingers for him to stick there if he's not playing to that caliber.

I think he'll probably end up being the long term LWer for the 3rd line that goes into the top-6 when Rust or Hornqvist gets hurt. Outside of injuries, I don't think it's super likely he breaks into the top-6 long-term. He'll either be viewed as the physical winger to complement Kessel or as a part of a shutdown 3rd line. They may view him as a budding top-6 caliber forward, but I'm not sure that means they plan on using him in the top-6 going forward. If you don't like his game, you can at least calm your fears because the Penguins will likely have the coach and the wing depth where he won't stick in the top-6 unless he performs.

I see him as a guy that can either help in a fourth line role, or be a detriment in the top six.

If he stays in the bottom six, I’ll be a much bigger ZAR fan than I am now. Which basically means I’ll go from loathing him, to liking him more than Kuhn.

Reactions: ColePens

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Sure, he's still getting caved in terms of shot attempts, but the actual shots when he's on the ice are about 50-50 and that pair isn't getting scored on at all. Johnson is bringing some PKing and physicality to the defense, and I don't think his offense or puck moving are nearly as bad as some here would suggest. He's perfectly fine, I think he has performed like a #4 since Pettersson came in. Whether that continues remains to be seen, but I feel like people should be optimistic about his recent play.

But either way, Pettersson is my golden boy on defense now, so I'm going to be pimping him up much more than Johnson now :laugh:

Suggesting that this is just an oh by the way sort of point is something else. Corsi can be taken way too far but to be a 42% CF on this team is pretty f'ing hard to do...that's brutal.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, that is what pisses me off about my boy Brassard. Body language is terrible. He looks miserable. Lots of gliding, no effort. Smart olayer so he is not a net negative most of the time... does nothing really positive either.

I thought he looked alright right at the beginning of the year. Doing the right things, making the right plays but our whole bottom 6 was off so the results just weren’t there.

As you said now the body language is bad and he’s not pushing hard. He just exists and just gets by. Eventually you have to move on from someone like that. Trusting him to play hard when when need someone to step up is getting further and further away.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I thought he looked alright right at the beginning of the year. Doing the right things, making the right plays but our whole bottom 6 was off so the results just weren’t there.

As you said now the body language is bad and he’s not pushing hard. He just exists and just gets by. Eventually you have to move on from someone like that. Trusting him to play hard when when need someone to step up is getting further and further away.

I do not get it though.

Great team, tight lockerroom, easy "in" for him given his friendship with Letang... gotta be something wrong at home or something. Maybe he hates it on L3 with very little PP... but it is his UFA year. Better way for him to get paid is to perform, put the Pens over the top and get that Cup win rub...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I see him as a guy that can either help in a fourth line role, or be a detriment in the top six.

If he stays in the bottom six, I’ll be a much bigger ZAR fan than I am now. Which basically means I’ll go from loathing him, to liking him more than Kuhn.
I'd say he's done a decent job as a top 6 fill-in during injuries too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Suggesting that this is just an oh by the way sort of point is something else. Corsi can be taken way too far but to be a 42% CF on this team is pretty f'ing hard to do...that's brutal.

The sad thing is that he's not even the worse in terms of CF% :laugh:

I don't think shot attempts matter more than shots for, which JJ is at about 50% for.

Like I said, I don't view him as being super likely for being in the top-6 long term. There's just too many guys better than him that deserve top-6 minutes. When the Penguins trade Rust or Hornqvist? I'll be more concerned then. I think it's more likely he ends up being Kessel's long term LW on the 3rd line, assuming that's where the team views Kessel for the long run.

I've been happy with him in a top-6 role, so if he ends up a 3rd liner that gets spot duty in the top-6 as injuries, I'll be satisfied with that. As long as they don't view him as Crosby's long term RWer, I don't have much to complain about with him. Granted, I'm also kinda drunk right now, so maybe you should take my opinion with a grain of salt :laugh:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I do not get it though.

Great team, tight lockerroom, easy "in" for him given his friendship with Letang... gotta be something wrong at home or something. Maybe he hates it on L3 with very little PP... but it is his UFA year. Better way for him to get paid is to perform, put the Pens over the top and get that Cup win rub...

It's the same Brassard I remember from Columbus. Always left something to be desired. I don't know why that didn't happen in New York or Ottawa, but this is why the Jackets traded him.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I do not get it though.

It’s quite the mystery. I don’t think Sully or JR have much more insight either given the comments to the journo’s. Paraphrasing it was give him some good linemates (Pearson/Kessel) and he has to figure it out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s quite the mystery. I don’t think Sully or JR have much more insight either given the comments to the journo’s. Paraphrasing it was give him some good linemates (Pearson/Kessel) and he has to figure it out.

I think he’s looking better. And he score a goal and a PP assist and then was technically part of the Maatta sequence on Friday.

I don’t think we improve or get a “better fit” at C as easily as some say. I think center is the toughest hole to correct in season. I guess that is a reason to trade him because of the value. But, I’d be very worried I’d say Malkin has a nagging injury and we have no legit back-up or Sid gets a cross check to the head where one of them misses a few games or a series.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I mean, on paper, that's a first line.

Of course, in Pitt, he is not going to get first line minutes. He needs to figure it out, indeed. Maybe he is TOO confortable... but he looks miserable.

Weird.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do not get it though.

Maybe he's thinking the best way for him to get paid is to get traded to somewhere where he has a better platform and doesn't want to risk getting an injury that ruins that when he doesn't have to. Lets not forget he's had a miserable time with those - I'd be a little worried about getting another one in his shoes.

I dunno. Right now I think the only thing to do is leave him on that line, cross your fingers, and do some scouting just in case.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sorry I was not clear enough. My "docile" comment has nothing to do with Béliveau's play.

As for "more complete game", I'd guess you are referring to his physical game, right? If so, we'll have to agree to disagree.
Howe played as a D for Detroit for a while in the sixties. He wasn't just dominant offensively. Not saying Mario wasn't great at some aspects defensively but Howe was more complete IMO.
He was fitter than Mario, for starters, at pretty much any comparable age, had less injuries, lasted much longer. How much credit do you give Mario for taking 3 years off?
Not trying to dump on perhaps the most talented Hockey player ever, but it really is not hard to make the argument that Howe had a greater career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad