Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Who is going to sit when Schultz is coming back, because Pettersson looks great?

Something like this

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Maatta - Johnson

Schultz at this point to me is a work him in for the playoffs element. That is all.
Guy had his leg dangling like a crab leg at a chinese buffet. Not the slightest hurry. Look at what figuring Tanger could handle after neck surgery. Ease Schultz in, especially with Riikola. It'd be foolish not too.
Hags with a broken foot was eased in hard. How the hell could Schultz not be.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Looking at the box score...

Pearson only played 9 minutes even strength. Phil 10:33, Brass 11. Cullen's line played slightly more than them.

Speaking of Cullen, he should be getting a mandatory drug test in the morning.
Pearson and Kessel should be with someone else, but the coaching staff wants them away from Geno and Sid or rather they are praying it jump starts Brass but instead it's just an abomination.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Maybe Brassard is like a sacrificial anode that protects a ship from corrosive oxidation due to salt water.

The negative aspects in a game are focused on him, and it allows other lines to flourish.

#Science

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Pearson and Kessel should be with someone else, but the coaching staff wants them away from Geno and Sid or rather they are praying it jump starts Brass but instead it's just an abomination.
Search
here you go mate,
Brassard highlits since november, there is like 4 of them? hah..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I sometimes read the PGTs more for tangents like these than the hockey stuff.
the Penguins:

1) haven't got their 2nd line straightened out

I have hope that this is happening. If Simon shot better I'd be a lot more positive.

Well, if he is doing that on your third pair and you manage his usage...

PKs well, you "hide" him 5v5, can be a useful player.

He is still a dumb player, but if you can get a positive contribution, I will not complain.

I do wanna see what MP can do with Schultz though and JJ-Maatta as a third pairing has disaster written all over it.

Call me an idiot, but I'm wondering what they'd look like now that both are feeling more confident and with it. Its not that they can't work together, we see them dominating the PK together all the time. They're both moving the puck a lot more snappily, which would be my main concern with them at ES.

Reactions: EightyOne

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I know you probably know who had the most goals and points for the Canadiens from 55-56 to 59-60 when they won 5 straight Cups...
Any guess who had the most penalty minutes?

The argument for Howe is a more complete game than Mario, along with longevity vs shortened career/injuries.

Sorry I was not clear enough. My "docile" comment has nothing to do with Béliveau's play.

As for "more complete game", I'd guess you are referring to his physical game, right? If so, we'll have to agree to disagree.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

Ya know .. sometimes its less about talent and more about fit.

I wonder if Sheahan with Pearson and Kessel would work? Not that I think Sheahan is the choice for 3C but if it "works," then it works. I liken it to HBK. In a bubble, theres no reason why that line went gangbusters like it did .. but it happened. Not that I expect Pearson Sheahan Kessel to do the same. But if they can click a little ... christ, couldn't get much worse than those to with Brass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Shocking opinion, I know, but I feel like people are still being super unfair towards Johnson. I know, it's shocking I believe that. :laugh:

But for real, I honestly have no clue how anyone can be still complaining about him at this point. The term on his contract is the only thing that sucks right now, everything else is fine or better. At the minimum, a Pettersson-Johnson pair is a fantastic bottom pair for you. Along with the Pettersson impact, I also think you need to consider Johnson getting better adjusted to the Penguins system. That could explain his stronger play recently, and that would mean that his recent play is sustainable.

Sure, he's still getting caved in terms of shot attempts, but the actual shots when he's on the ice are about 50-50 and that pair isn't getting scored on at all. Johnson is bringing some PKing and physicality to the defense, and I don't think his offense or puck moving are nearly as bad as some here would suggest. He's perfectly fine, I think he has performed like a #4 since Pettersson came in. Whether that continues remains to be seen, but I feel like people should be optimistic about his recent play.

But either way, Pettersson is my golden boy on defense now, so I'm going to be pimping him up much more than Johnson now :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Johnson is the Brassard of the defense???

If Brassard was Johnson of forwards, I feel like a ton of people would love him :laugh:

If you took Johnson's skillset and put it in your 3C, I think a lot of people would be super happy with the 3C here. You'd have a good skater who's super physical, can kill penalties and is decent offensively. It would be like having Adam Lowry as your 3C.

Reactions: EightyOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If Brassard was Johnson of forwards, I feel like a ton of people would love him :laugh:

If you took Johnson's skillset and put it in your 3C, I think a lot of people would be super happy with the 3C here. You'd have a good skater who's super physical, can kill penalties and is decent offensively. It would be like having Adam Lowry as your 3C.

Lowry is basically Riley Sheahan. That dude is overrated. We’d be a worse team with Lowry over Brassard.

Yet another overrated player on the asisine TSN sponsored Winnipeg Jets hype train.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lowry is basically Riley Sheahan. That dude is overrated. We’d be a worse team with Lowry over Brassard.

I don't think so, pal :laugh:

Lowry's biggest attributes are his size and physicality, Sheahan is butter soft. They're polar opposites in the most important part of what Lowry is. If you took away Lowry's physicality entirely, I think you might have Sheahan at that point. Maybe. In a normal year, Lowry is basically a little bit worse version of Boone Jenner.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Shocking opinion, I know, but I feel like people are still being super unfair towards Johnson. I know, it's shocking I believe that. :laugh:

But for real, I honestly have no clue how anyone can be still complaining about him at this point. The term on his contract is the only thing that sucks right now, everything else is fine or better. At the minimum, a Pettersson-Johnson pair is a fantastic bottom pair for you. Along with the Pettersson impact, I also think you need to consider Johnson getting better adjusted to the Penguins system. That could explain his stronger play recently, and that would mean that his recent play is sustainable.

Sure, he's still getting caved in terms of shot attempts, but the actual shots when he's on the ice are about 50-50 and that pair isn't getting scored on at all. Johnson is bringing some PKing and physicality to the defense, and I don't think his offense or puck moving are nearly as bad as some here would suggest. He's perfectly fine, I think he has performed like a #4 since Pettersson came in. Whether that continues remains to be seen, but I feel like people should be optimistic about his recent play.

But either way, Pettersson is my golden boy on defense now, so I'm going to be pimping him up much more than Johnson now :laugh:

Many people went off the deep with JJ, but he’s only half way through year one, and so far I think he’s doing what you want from a 5.

He’s bringing a lot of much needed physical play from the back end, and looks like he can play structured hockey ala Ian Cole.

I wouldn’t want to rely on either guy to steady a floundering blueline, but when everyone is on the same page they seem to be valuable systematic players.

His offense is the only disappointment for me, but whatever I guess.

JJ, Murray and Letang took massive beatings in the off-season and the former two well into the season.

So it’s nice to see them overcome that adversity so far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think so, pal :laugh:

Lowry's biggest attributes are his size and physicality, Sheahan is butter soft. They're polar opposites in the most important part of what Lowry is. If you took away Lowry's physicality entirely, I think you might have Sheahan at that point. Maybe.

Since Nov. 20th

Derrick Brassard
Ice time: 298:56
OFF Zone Starts: 47.19
GF/60: 1.64
GA/60: 2.01

Adam Lowry
Ice time: 238:49
OFF Zone Starts %: 45.2
GF/60: 2.01
GA/60: 2.76

Lowry is just so mediocre, I don’t get the obsession. It’s like the Jets fans that say Roslo is untouchable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Since Nov. 20th

Derrick Brassard
Ice time: 298:56
OFF Zone Starts: 47.19
GF/60: 1.64
GA/60: 2.01

Adam Lowry
Ice time: 238:49
OFF Zone Starts %: 45.2
GF/60: 2.01
GA/60: 2.76

Those don't seem that different of results, and Lowry would be providing some physicality. Again, I feel like people would love Lowry here because it seems like he at least brings something unique. The defense for Brassard has basically been "he's not hurting us". He looks super vanilla out there, he looks like he's just going through the motions. Lowry would at least bring some physicality and PKing ability from the 3C spot, which may allow the Penguins to get Sheahan off the roster.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Many people went off the deep with JJ, but he’s only half way through year one, and so far I think he’s doing what you want from a 5.

He’s bringing a lot of much needed physical play from the back end, and looks like he can play structured hockey ala Ian Cole.

I wouldn’t want to rely on either guy to steady a floundering blueline, but when everyone is on the same page they seem to be valuable systematic players.

His offense is the only disappointment for me, but whatever I guess.

JJ, Murray and Letang took massive beatings in the off-season and the former two well into the season.

So it’s nice to see them overcome that adversity so far.

Yeah, he’s basically Ian Cole with less offensive ability (which is weird given how solid he was at that when I used to watch him in LA) BUT he does take less dumb penalties. One thing I will say I respect with JJ is that when he gets beat he doesn’t over compensate and throw his stick out or trip guys. Guess when you get beat so much you just get used to it lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Those don't seem that different of results, and Lowry would be providing some physicality. Again, I feel like people would love Lowry here because it seems like he at least brings something unique. The defense for Brassard has basically been "he's not hurting us". He looks super vanilla out there, he looks like he's just going through the motions. Lowry would at least bring some physicality and PKing ability from the 3C spot, which may allow the Penguins to get Sheahan off the roster.

Yeah, a bunch of intangibles that make people think he’s worth 3 mil.

Lowry is a 4C and the Jets are giving him borderline 3C money. See last year in the playoffs when he had a big fat 2 assists.

I don’t know. Never been impressed with his game and as I said in November. The Jets forward depth bllllllows compared to the East teams.

Nashville at least has solid two-way point producers. Jets have Wheeler and Schief and one note Laine. Then a bunch of players playing above their position.

Another issue is that Enstrom while falling off offensively was still a defensive beast.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, he’s basically Ian Cole with less offensive ability (which is weird given how solid he was at that when I used to watch him in LA) BUT he does take less dumb penalties. One thing I will say I respect with JJ is that when he gets beat he doesn’t over compensate and throw his stick out or trip guys. Guess when you get beat so much you just get used to it lol.

I’ve liked his game a lot on this run, and maybe that will change, but I recall defending Cole as well when a ton of people thought he was hot garbage.

So the guy heralded around here as a playoff warrior they are now missing, I know for a fact was a board whipping board for quite some time.

Not many people to dislike right now, but as the season goes on and they lose some games, the pitchforks will be out.

I guess some are still out for Brass, but I’m still of the belief he will figure it out.

Only guy that concerns me is still ZAR. I know how the org views him and if they keep trying to push him into the top six I’m going to be pissed and have obviously been quite adamant I believe that is foolish thinking on their parts.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I’ve liked his game a lot on this run, and maybe that will change, but I recall defending Cole as well when a ton of people thought he was hot garbage.

So the guy heralded around here as a playoff warrior they are now missing, I know for a fact was a board whipping board for quite some time.

Not many people to dislike right now, but as the season goes on and they lose some games, the pitchforks will be out.

I guess some are still out for Brass, but I’m still of the belief he will figure it out.

Only guy that concerns me is still ZAR. I know how the org views him and if they keep trying to push him into the top six I’m going to be pissed and have obviously been quite adamant I believe that is foolish thinking on their parts.

ZAR is producing though. I don’t know how, but I don’t really care about him if he is scoring at that rate. Easily can be a Kuhn or Fehr type 4th liner.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Remember the article preseason when Letang was quoted that he was just going to no go back to playing the game he thought was right for him and everyone here had a collective meltdown over it?

He has changed his game a little though. He’s playing a lot smarter especially on/near the boards. He’s not taking those big hits like he used too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad