Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Polamalu leads the Pens to their 8th straight!

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by ColePens, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoplifter

shoplifter Registered User

Schultz at this point to me is a work him in for the playoffs element. That is all.
    Guy had his leg dangling like a crab leg at a chinese buffet. Not the slightest hurry. Look at what figuring Tanger could handle after neck surgery. Ease Schultz in, especially with Riikola. It'd be foolish not too.
    Hags with a broken foot was eased in hard. How the hell could Schultz not be.

2. Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory Registered User

Pearson and Kessel should be with someone else, but the coaching staff wants them away from Geno and Sid or rather they are praying it jump starts Brass but instead it's just an abomination.

3. shoplifter

If the opposing team scored, betcha, Brassard would be a -1

Honour Over Glory likes this.
  4. EightyOne

EightyOne Here we ****ing go, again!

Maybe Brassard is like a sacrificial anode that protects a ship from corrosive oxidation due to salt water.

The negative aspects in a game are focused on him, and it allows other lines to flourish.

#Science

Sidgeni Malkby and SHOOTANDSCORE like this.
  5. shoplifter

Search
    here you go mate,
    Brassard highlits since november, there is like 4 of them? hah..

6. Peat

Peat Registered User

Honestly I sometimes read the PGTs more for tangents like these than the hockey stuff.
    I have hope that this is happening. If Simon shot better I'd be a lot more positive.

Call me an idiot, but I'm wondering what they'd look like now that both are feeling more confident and with it. Its not that they can't work together, we see them dominating the PK together all the time. They're both moving the puck a lot more snappily, which would be my main concern with them at ES.

EightyOne likes this.
  7. Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour JordanStaal#1Fan

Supervisor, Business Intelligence (Sales)
    Home Page:
    Sorry I was not clear enough. My "docile" comment has nothing to do with Béliveau's play.

As for "more complete game", I'd guess you are referring to his physical game, right? If so, we'll have to agree to disagree.

8. Shrimper

Shrimper Trick or ruddy treat

Home Page:
    Matt Murray's number looking more normal, good to see. Hope it continues.

9. CanadianPensFan1

CanadianPensFan1 Registered User

Ya know .. sometimes its less about talent and more about fit.

I wonder if Sheahan with Pearson and Kessel would work? Not that I think Sheahan is the choice for 3C but if it "works," then it works. I liken it to HBK. In a bubble, theres no reason why that line went gangbusters like it did .. but it happened. Not that I expect Pearson Sheahan Kessel to do the same. But if they can click a little ... christ, couldn't get much worse than those to with Brass.

10. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 Go Knights Go

Shocking opinion, I know, but I feel like people are still being super unfair towards Johnson. I know, it's shocking I believe that. :laugh:

But for real, I honestly have no clue how anyone can be still complaining about him at this point. The term on his contract is the only thing that sucks right now, everything else is fine or better. At the minimum, a Pettersson-Johnson pair is a fantastic bottom pair for you. Along with the Pettersson impact, I also think you need to consider Johnson getting better adjusted to the Penguins system. That could explain his stronger play recently, and that would mean that his recent play is sustainable.

Sure, he's still getting caved in terms of shot attempts, but the actual shots when he's on the ice are about 50-50 and that pair isn't getting scored on at all. Johnson is bringing some PKing and physicality to the defense, and I don't think his offense or puck moving are nearly as bad as some here would suggest. He's perfectly fine, I think he has performed like a #4 since Pettersson came in. Whether that continues remains to be seen, but I feel like people should be optimistic about his recent play.

But either way, Pettersson is my golden boy on defense now, so I'm going to be pimping him up much more than Johnson now :laugh:

Tom Hanks likes this.
  11. EightyOne

EightyOne Here we ****ing go, again!

Johnson is the Brassard of the defense???

12. Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks Mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.

Johnson is very happy to be here though and puts in effort.

EightyOne and Empoleon8771 like this.
  13. Empoleon8771

If Brassard was Johnson of forwards, I feel like a ton of people would love him :laugh:

If you took Johnson's skillset and put it in your 3C, I think a lot of people would be super happy with the 3C here. You'd have a good skater who's super physical, can kill penalties and is decent offensively. It would be like having Adam Lowry as your 3C.

EightyOne likes this.
  14. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Registered User

Home Page:
    Must be nice to get actual minutes.

Just saw Kessel has 25 EV points this year.

15. pixiesfanyo

Home Page:
    Lowry is basically Riley Sheahan. That dude is overrated. We’d be a worse team with Lowry over Brassard.

Yet another overrated player on the asisine TSN sponsored Winnipeg Jets hype train.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  16. Empoleon8771

I don't think so, pal :laugh:

Lowry's biggest attributes are his size and physicality, Sheahan is butter soft. They're polar opposites in the most important part of what Lowry is. If you took away Lowry's physicality entirely, I think you might have Sheahan at that point. Maybe. In a normal year, Lowry is basically a little bit worse version of Boone Jenner.

17. Mr Jiggyfly

Mr Jiggyfly Registered User

Many people went off the deep with JJ, but he’s only half way through year one, and so far I think he’s doing what you want from a 5.

He’s bringing a lot of much needed physical play from the back end, and looks like he can play structured hockey ala Ian Cole.

I wouldn’t want to rely on either guy to steady a floundering blueline, but when everyone is on the same page they seem to be valuable systematic players.

His offense is the only disappointment for me, but whatever I guess.

JJ, Murray and Letang took massive beatings in the off-season and the former two well into the season.

So it’s nice to see them overcome that adversity so far.

18. pixiesfanyo

Home Page:
    Since Nov. 20th

Derrick Brassard
    Ice time: 298:56
    OFF Zone Starts: 47.19
    GF/60: 1.64
    GA/60: 2.01

Adam Lowry
    Ice time: 238:49
    OFF Zone Starts %: 45.2
    GF/60: 2.01
    GA/60: 2.76

Lowry is just so mediocre, I don’t get the obsession. It’s like the Jets fans that say Roslo is untouchable.

19. Empoleon8771

Those don't seem that different of results, and Lowry would be providing some physicality. Again, I feel like people would love Lowry here because it seems like he at least brings something unique. The defense for Brassard has basically been "he's not hurting us". He looks super vanilla out there, he looks like he's just going through the motions. Lowry would at least bring some physicality and PKing ability from the 3C spot, which may allow the Penguins to get Sheahan off the roster.

Jules Winnfield likes this.
  20. pixiesfanyo

Home Page:
    Yeah, he’s basically Ian Cole with less offensive ability (which is weird given how solid he was at that when I used to watch him in LA) BUT he does take less dumb penalties. One thing I will say I respect with JJ is that when he gets beat he doesn’t over compensate and throw his stick out or trip guys. Guess when you get beat so much you just get used to it lol.

21. pixiesfanyo

Home Page:
    Yeah, a bunch of intangibles that make people think he’s worth 3 mil.

Lowry is a 4C and the Jets are giving him borderline 3C money. See last year in the playoffs when he had a big fat 2 assists.

I don’t know. Never been impressed with his game and as I said in November. The Jets forward depth bllllllows compared to the East teams.

Nashville at least has solid two-way point producers. Jets have Wheeler and Schief and one note Laine. Then a bunch of players playing above their position.

Another issue is that Enstrom while falling off offensively was still a defensive beast.

22. Mr Jiggyfly

Mr Jiggyfly Registered User

I’ve liked his game a lot on this run, and maybe that will change, but I recall defending Cole as well when a ton of people thought he was hot garbage.

So the guy heralded around here as a playoff warrior they are now missing, I know for a fact was a board whipping board for quite some time.

Not many people to dislike right now, but as the season goes on and they lose some games, the pitchforks will be out.

I guess some are still out for Brass, but I’m still of the belief he will figure it out.

Only guy that concerns me is still ZAR. I know how the org views him and if they keep trying to push him into the top six I’m going to be pissed and have obviously been quite adamant I believe that is foolish thinking on their parts.

SHOOTANDSCORE likes this.
  23. pixiesfanyo

Home Page:
    ZAR is producing though. I don’t know how, but I don’t really care about him if he is scoring at that rate. Easily can be a Kuhn or Fehr type 4th liner.

Empoleon8771 likes this.
  24. BigEezyE22

BigEezyE22 Registered User

Engineer
    Remember the article preseason when Letang was quoted that he was just going to no go back to playing the game he thought was right for him and everyone here had a collective meltdown over it?

25. Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks Mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.

He has changed his game a little though. He’s playing a lot smarter especially on/near the boards. He’s not taking those big hits like he used too.

EightyOne and ronduguayshair like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.