Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Stars -- Matt Murray is damn good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tiny coda on the Pens development thing -

I was re-reading the development camp thread from two years ago (I mainly wanted to see what if anything stuck out about Miletic). One of the big recurrent things about that thread was how much people liked Blueger, how he'd added half a step and how he saw the ice like a pro even then, but how his weakness was his shot.

Nobody would say that now. Just one example of the small adjustments with big impacts that the Pens can have on college grads.

Now just need him to coach Simon on what he's doing different ;)

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Everything has a shelf life as we know for Crosby's RW. They change it up just due to not working for a spell, and that's okay. Your lineup is okay.

I'd rather see mine for a bit. See how it shook out.

If Rust hits his shelf life then put Hornqvist with Jake and Sid and put Rust with Simon and Bjugstad. Or put McCann with Jake and Sid and the. Put Rust with Malkin and Kessel. Or put Rust with McCann and Malkin and then move Kessel down with Simon and Bjugstad. No lineup should see ZAR playing line 2 LW when we are healthy

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If Rust hits his shelf life then put Hornqvist with Jake and Sid and put Rust with Simon and Bjugstad. Or put McCann with Jake and Sid and the. Put Rust with Malkin and Kessel. Or put Rust with McCann and Malkin and then move Kessel down with Simon and Bjugstad. No lineup should see ZAR playing line 2 LW when we are healthy

And yet

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Development doesn’t mean the Pens have NO impact on players...college players who come here learn to be a pro, play the Pens system, and improve on aspects of their game, grow their game...no one is saying that doesn’t happen...but basically who you are as a hockey player is formed by age 22 and much of the work was done by the college program, or Euro professional league ...

“Development” by a professional organization in the true sense of the word is taking the raw or still forming young guy and doing the work the college programs do...nhl FOs only do that for high draft picks or players who won’t be taking the college route...the Pens haven’t had many recently because we don’t get many high picks...the Pens “developed” DP and Sprong and would have developed Kapanen had he not been traded...they’re also developing Bellerive now...it’ll be interesting to see where he ends up...

Edit...current players playing for the Pens that they “developed” (primary developer): Sid, Letang, Murray, Maatta (Geno played three years in another professional league first)

Last edited:
Reactions: DegenX

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I mean, ZAR did play well for a stretch when in that spot. I don't know why it's so hard to believe he can do that again. He's on pace for 15 goals and 32 points this year, pretty much all of which are at ES. I don't get why people like to take shots at him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jared McCann has as many short-handed goals for us as Brassard has in entirety at Colorado.

The more we go along, the more that trade has been brilliant.

Like I said before, I would have traded all of that for McCann himself. And I just heard JR was trying to hunt him down last year, too. This kid was built to be a Penguin and he's 22 (will be 23 soon) with time to grow.

tenor.gif

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I mean, ZAR did play well for a stretch when in that spot. I don't know why it's so hard to believe he can do that again. He's on pace for 15 goals and 32 points this year, pretty much all of which are at ES. I don't get why people like to take shots at him.

When you have two players like Malkin and Kessel you shouldn’t need a stud on the other side. Sullivan usually likes a defensive first guy like he did with Hagelin. Also Dupuis played that for Crosby’ Line for years. I think McCann can be that for Malkin and Kessel. ZAR seemed good also on that wing before injury.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think it's taking a shot at him to say he belongs in the bottom 6, even if he's a decent fill-in for that spot when we have injuries.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Huge game for Murray. I love how he gave the little arm pump after the buzzer. If he keeps this going into the playoffs and Malkin comes back ready to go we can take on anyone.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
ZAR is an incredible player to play L4 and pop up in the lineup if needed for injury. I don't think there is a doubt there. The main issue is when he is stuck in that top 6 role. That is not best for him.

And just to be fair, Blueger is doing an admirable job filling in and doing his thing, but he's also best needed on L4. Cullen is dying a slow death and doing all he can do with guys like Wilson. He NEEDS some skill guys with him who can play defensive, too. Blueger and Cullen together are meant to be. I'd like to see Johnson get the nod over Wilson.

I digress.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
ZAR is an incredible player to play L4 and pop up in the lineup if needed for injury. I don't think there is a doubt there. The main issue is when he is stuck in that top 6 role. That is not best for him.

And just to be fair, Blueger is doing an admirable job filling in and doing his thing, but he's also best needed on L4. Cullen is dying a slow death and doing all he can do with guys like Wilson. He NEEDS some skill guys with him who can play defensive, too. Blueger and Cullen together are meant to be. I'd like to see Johnson get the nod over Wilson.

I digress.
I really like what our lines are obviously going to morph in to with Geno back in. I like the look of McCann-Geno-Phil more than any line Geno has had this year aside from maybe Rust there, but that honestly feels like basically the same line on paper. And then you get Blueger on L4. Eventually hopefully with ZAR instead of Wilson.

And I'm happy that we are letting Blueger just play in Geno's place instead of shuffling around all of the other lines to accommodate his injury.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
“He’s sick,” said Matt Murray, who played with McCann in junior, with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. “I’ve known it for a long time. He was lighting up the OHL when we played together.

“I was excited when we traded for him. He’s a good friend of mine. I know how skilled he is. He’s showing it right now. He’s a really good goal-scorer. He’s doing such a good job for us.”

As Penguins gush, Jared McCann downplays his glorious goal

Hadn't thought about the Soo connection between Murray and McCann.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Dude constantly rips Murray. If he's always sarcastic, ok - I didn't catch it. But again, its constant.
If it makes you feel any better I am confused as well. I thought your reply was upping the game by adding your own level of sarcasm, but I may have overthought it. Or not!?

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Crosby is starting to look tired. Hopefully they rest him before PO's
this, they will pay for it in the playoffs, esp when they go deeper! The amount of energy they have exerted just to stay a float should catch up, you would think! (i am not being negative, just realistic). They have to get secondary scoring from other lines because you know #87 will see the best centers to shut that line down. I really dont like what has transpired through the season, but i guess it is what it is.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think this was Florida’s main complaint about him.

Even 10 in 26 is good for me given what that line is doing defensively.

when you play in a lineup with Crosby and Malkin, it probably feels easier to just play your game and do your thing, unlike in florida where he was relied on to score.

Crosby and Malkin make the whole lineup better, it gives everyone a confidence boost.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
- That 2nd goal was a shot that Murray HAS to save.
- High glove, where have I seen that before?
- Murray just can't close out a period without letting in a goal.
+ Other than that Murray played a great game, but again he shouldn't have let in either goal.
dont blame him for that. #44 stuck his stick and shot changed direction. It is almost as if he shouldn't have done that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->