Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - the one where Pens fans whine the entire time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Murray had some lucky breaks but sometimes it's exactly what a goalie needs to gain confidence
Nice to see the boys hang on and end the Caps streak
Let's go Pens!!!

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wilson is Tanner Glass, right down to the fact that if he was a step faster he'd lay some nice hits on the forecheck. Solid game by the 4th line, maybe time to swap ZAR and Pearson again.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This team is dead without Sidney. He did more than Mario... that whole era doesn't count much with the over spending nonsense and whatever above my level criminality of it (if any) I just don't think Mario could compete in this level of game. Wayne either. Sid will forever conquer any level comparable for some time. Some long time.

You’re right in a way, Sid’s game is more conducive to this era. He’s the greatest, most skilled mucker ever.

Mario was artistry, he would have quit a lot sooner from this brand of hockey.

Last edited:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Also, for as much they mishandled Sprong, I must say that Pettersson is a very solid return. Very solid and reliable young dman, we need more of those badly.

Couldn't agree more
You never have enough D depth
Pettersson has been very good and reliable since being acquired
Might make a guy like Maatta expandable if he keeps this play up when Schultz returns

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I could see Johnson being useful in a playoff series against the Caps. So that's good I guess.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Also, for as much they mishandled Sprong, I must say that Pettersson is a very solid return. Very solid and reliable young dman, we need more of those badly.
ya! if you look at it as a solid defense-man for a guy tha was playing 4 min a game (when he played) it's a good trade...... it's just when you think we traded a 30 goal scorer on a very cheep contract that things start to go south.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Nobody because who cares.

Sid, Geno, Phil, Letang, Jake.........

Copy cat league, watch as teams continue to muscle it up against the Pens. I first saw this in the last Ottawa game.

Edit: I also wonder when I read these opinions if you ever played a physical team sport like football or hockey? That's not meant as a shot at you, but an attempt at understanding.

I have witnessed first hand the value of having "tough guys" in YOUR lockerroom. It truly provides everyone on the team an extra pep in there stride. You stick your chest out more, you engage more often, you sleep with comfort knowing you have the Nuclear option.

You may not like that in your sports, but it is reality. I also get that the Pens won 2 cups with little of it as well. But they were the first to go all speed & skill and caught the rest of league flat footed. What saved them most that first cup run was Wilson getting suspended and the Caps reacting by backing off of the physical play.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthGeorge

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
ya! if you look at it as a solid defense-man for a guy tha was playing 4 min a game (when he played) it's a good trade...... it's just when you think we traded a 30 goal scorer on a very cheep contract that things start to go south.

Let’s see him get to ten before we say he’s a twenty goal scorer.

Let’s also see where Sprong gets slotted once that squad is healthy.

Also, let’s focus on Pettersson because he’s a Penguin and he’s been great for us.

Reactions: The Old Master

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sid, Geno, Phil, Letang, Jake.........

Copy cat league, watch as team continue to muscle it up against the Pens. I first saw this in the last Ottawa game.

Considering we're a better team with Oleksiak out of the lineup (would prefer the circumstances to be healthy scratched / traded), not gonna fret about that too much.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Nobody because who cares.

Well it's going to be open season on our stars.

I'd also like to blame the half ass attempt at redemption. They should have lined Oleksiak up on Wilson like the reports said and make him fight or bitch up. But noo, the Pens don't want to look like goons. Wilson rushing him was the only way he'd win and their dumbass strategy played right into his hand.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I'd also like to blame the half ass attempt at redemption. They should have lined Oleksiak up on Wilson like the reports said and make him fight or ***** up. But noo, the Pens don't want to look like goons. Wilson rushing him was the only way he'd win and their dumbass strategy played right into his hand.

Their strategy ended with us getting 2 points and continuing to live in their heads.

The only way they could beat us in the playoffs was taking out a fatigued Pens team that had just gone the most playoff series in a row in 20 years.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

The idea that fighters actually protect stars in this day and age still exist? Santa Claus existing is a more legit theory than this but whatever rocks your boat, I guess.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I have witnessed first hand the value of having "tough guys" in YOUR lockerroom. It truly provides everyone on the team an extra pep in there stride. You stick your chest out more, you engage more often, you sleep with comfort knowing you have the Nuclear option.

I have witnessed the Pens and Hawks dominate the NHL for most of a decade without goons but that doesn't count since I didn't play for them, I guess.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They really didn't, at least not all in. See my edited post above as reference.

I don’t believe you watched the 15-16 or 16-17 cups if you don’t think teams tried to physically intimidate us. See Orpik on Maatta, Callahan on Letang, Thornton on Crosby, Calvert on Kuhnhackl, Niskanen on Crosby, Hoffman on Schultz.

This team is never going to win a physical battle. The Caps do, because they have stars like Oshie and Ovechkin that are absolute units.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's going to be open season on other teams as we might start to outplay them on a consistent basis.

I hope you are right Sully.

Their strategy ended with us getting 2 points and continuing to live in their heads.

The only way they could beat us in the playoffs was taking out a fatigued Pens team that had just gone the most playoff series in a row in 20 years.

You can act like Oleksiak getting wrecked doesn't hurt but it does. Wilson was down after the Reaves fight. Now we will have to see that highlight forever.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I'd also like to blame the half ass attempt at redemption. They should have lined Oleksiak up on Wilson like the reports said and make him fight or ***** up. But noo, the Pens don't want to look like goons. Wilson rushing him was the only way he'd win and their dumbass strategy played right into his hand.

This is why I have no respect for Wilson, none. That wasn't a fair fight, he got the jump on Jamie. It didn't look bad since the RIG got his gloves off quick, but Wilson was able to gain leverage on Jamie and it led to the big punch connecting. Really a dirty, sissy play by a faux tough guy.

In the old days, Wilson would have had to answer that cheapness against a real tough guy like Tocchet. In today's hockey, he is cheered by the media and he gets to laugh at his opposition unpunished. blech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad