Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens go Wild on Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++ Geno: Geno was in assassin mode tonight. On the PP, he wasn't even messing around. He was just all in and trying to keep it simple and fire it. When he's forcing east-west is where he overdoes it. But tonight he took that puck and was just going to the net. And then when they over commit to G, he turns around with a Mario behind the back pass for a great goal. Massive credit to Rusty who is Geno's right hand man. Those guys should NEVER ever ever be separated. Never.

+++ Powerplay (Sid): Sid makes a huge difference. He gets zone entries and forces defenders to watch him. I thought it was great. Geno was NOT forcing it. He was all-in. Rusty floats and is dangerous. His patience/vision is 10000x better than 2016. Horny is there for madness.

+++ Sid: I can also see why Sid loves Simon. Simon is such a puck handler. He loves controlling and controlling. It's EXACTLY what Sid wants. He's not the best player but he really fits what Sid wants to do. Massive credit to McCann and Simon. Great compliments tonight. McCann/Simon have nice chemistry. I don't believe that line is a perfect line, but they at least play how Sid wants to.

+ Horny/Tanev: Horny was beat up all night and just keeps getting after it. Tanev is a never ending tazmanian devil. His motor does not stop. These 2 guys don't know how to flip the switch off. They'll flip it off when they finally leave this world. It's unreal and that energy goes down that lineup.

+ Marino: I do not have any more words. He does something almost basketball like when he goes to retrieve a puck. He just boxes the guy out to the angle he wants to go and picks it up like it's nothing. It's something he needs to teach all dmen of the Pens. It's unlike anything i've ever seen. I tried to zone in on it. I think he's setting guys up and faking them out. It's unreal.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
giphy.gif

Sid is back! And Chucky scored.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Post-game thoughts in the form of numbers…

Number of times I saw Simon create chances through puck pressure - 5
Number of times I thought McCann looks as composed and creative as I’ve ever seen - 6
Number of times I was grateful Sid is back - 87
Number of times I thought ‘boy, this PP lark sure looks a lot easier with a full roster’ - 3
Number of times I wondered whether Sid shot for Dumba’s stick on his goal on purpose - 1
Number of times I thought ‘JJ might be better, but he still has those derp moments’ - 3
Number of times I realised I’d mistaken Pettersson for JJ afterwards - 1
Number of times I was worried Tanev would get himself killed - 2
Number of times I thought ‘Man, Bloogs makes some nice plays’ - 3
Number of times I saw ZAR do something definitely useful - 2
Number of times I wondered whether Kahun is the right third wheel for Geno/Rust - 3
Number of times I felt sorry for Dubynk - 3
Number of times Simon scored right after thinking that - 1
Number of times I got sad for Galchenyuk and hoped we could trade him soon and everyone can find a better fit - Limit does not exist
Number of times I considered turning it off and going to bed at a sensible time - Zer… okay, fine 3

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@ColePens, as discussed, the PP looked great when Horny returned and before Jake got hurt because the balance was perfect. Horny AND Rust being out there let Geno, Jake, and Letang focus more on the skill plays.

Before then. Too little chasing/grit. After Jake got hurt, with McCann, to little skill (or too little hockey sense with Gally).

BUT, now that Sid has belatedly replaced Jake, the balance is perfect again. And the results did not surprise.

EDIT: Geno shooting as much tonight on the PP as he had in the month's previous games combined certainly helped too. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ain't scared of nobody in this league right now

Sid healthy

Letang getting career milestone

Rust setting new levels for self

You just made sure we’re going to have another injury soon...thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad