Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens get back on track thanks to Dumo & Marino!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One thing positive that you can say about JJ.

His game is not the type that will go downhill with time. He ain't great now, but he is unlikely to get much worse as he ages. What can happen? He slows down?

I'm guessing this was meant to be sarcastic and you forgot the emoji?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I was at this one (6-0 on the season) and what a game to be at. I gotta give a + to the crowd for this one. It's easy to be hyped when you score 7 goals but the standing ovation and "Let's Go Pens' chants through the whole final minute was a great touch. I do not expect that from the pre-playoff crowd.
pre-playoff crowds are far better than playoff crowds the big money.fair weather people take over.

Reactions: td_ice

RSPens

May 25, 2015
To the people saying that "this was only a win against Ottawa"...the Pens just lost 3 games in California (3 of the worst teams in the NHL). We already should know that any team (Buffalo) can beat any other team (the Pens) in the NHL on any given night. Yes Ottawa does not have anywhere near the talent that the Pens have. However, what they do have is fight, grit and determination. The fact that the Pens outplayed, out hustled and out worked the Sens, especially without Tanev in the line-up is an accomplishment. It's a confidence booster and it shows that the Pens can play hard and fight when needed. Now where people need to cool their jets, is the fact that it is just one game. They can take the win as "its just Ottawa" and not carry anything away from this game. However I think Sully will hammer home that this is something to build on, a sign that the team is starting to come together (with the new additions), a sign that with the right roster decisions the team can excel, a sign that out working their opponent can lead to success. This game might not mean much today, but if the Pens do go on their usual March...this game may be the trigger point.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not sold on this defensive core come playoff time. Especially in Sully's system they are going to be leaking goals. At least we got more forwards at the tdl and have two really good goalies. Can we put them both in net?

You continue to not understand how hockey is played. It's EVERYONE's job to play offense and defense.

Can you explain to me specifically what you don't like about Sully's system that is going to expose this defense?

Reactions: Beauner

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You continue to not understand how hockey is played. It's EVERYONE's job to play offense and defense.

Can you explain to me specifically what you don't like about Sully's system that is going to expose this defense?

I don't understand hockey. Yet, I played my whole life and D1. You right lol

I like defense that actually plays defense. Perfect example. Sharks got up a few goals and won 5-0. We get up a few goals and the game was 5-3 at one point. Over aggressive defense. Yes, everybody needs to play defense. I like a system where D stay back and F3 stays high as 3rd d and generate chances off turnovers. Not defense plays offense and rely on offense covering for the D.

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
pre-playoff crowds are far better than playoff crowds the big money.fair weather people take over.

That may be true. I have only been to a handful of playoffs games but everyone of them has been electric compared to the standard corporate, family-friendly crowds the regular season crowds that are there for most of the season. Small sample size, so I can't argue against you. All I know is, the crowd last night had that 2016 feel to it and was far better than any other game I went to this season. It had that air of something special happening on the ice and in the stands. We aren't quite there yet but I was getting those vibes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I like defense that actually plays defense. Perfect example. Sharks got up a few goals and won 5-0. We get up a few goals and the game was 5-3 at one point. Over aggressive defense. Yes, everybody needs to play defense. I like a system where D stay back and F3 stays high as 3rd d and generate chances off turnovers. Not defense plays offense and rely on offense covering for the D.

Doesn't matter that you've played if you consistently say things that show you don't understand defense that activates is pretty much how everyone in the NHL plays now, especially when you have defense that can skate.

I'm with you that I don't want Jack Johnson playing like he's Kris Letang, but this team gets so much more out of their offense when they have D consistently joining the rush and playing aggressive. The key is our forwards buying in to cover for them and the weak side D shifting out to prevent odd man rushes and breakways.

Again, can you tell me specifically what you don't like about Sullivan's system?

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
No idea about the 70s, but in the late 80s when I was a kid, the Pens were on WPGH like 20 times a year..... on UHF... UHF!

I had to actually go and flip that switch in the back from VHF... then rotate the dial to find WPGH... adjust the tinfoil on the rabbit ears...

It was the only time they were on TV until KBL picked them up full time.
I don’t remember hockey on 53 but I remember as a kid in the 70s my brother and I coming home from school and watching The Big Valley and Wild Wild West reruns back to back on there...good times..

Well back then you still had to turn the channel manually. I caught on to the Pens in the late 70's. 77 I think. I don't remember the channel or anything. I was 9.

Games were few and far between back in the early days on 53. I believe they were on Saturdays before or after Studio Wrestling with Chilly Billy Cardilil (sp). My memory may be spotty as I was young but that is what I remember.

BTW changing channels manually on the circular dial was great. We would spin it real fast and drive my parents crazy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Not sure you have ever played hockey if you think a team with Brent Burns plays passive D.

Also, you realize the Penguins have been playing this style of D since 1990, so if you want to be a fan of a team that plays passive D NYI or Philly are right there.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

0% of Ottawa's goals had anything to do with how aggressive the D were

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Please add me to the list of people that get just as much, if not more, peeved when our D don't pinch on obviously winnable pucks than when they take risks.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So...for the people questioning how getting 2 D-men back was going to help the team score goals...this game was exhibit A. Not because Marino scored or Dumo getting assists or anything. With Dumo and Marino in the line-up it forces JJ down the line-up and keeps him focused on the defensive side of his game. It gives the forwards more confidence as they know Dumo and Marino vastly improves the transition game. It gives the goalies more confidence because Dumo and Marino are responsible in their own zone. It keeps Trotman and Ruh out of the line-up. It just makes everything easier for the rest of the team.
Yeah, no. The stat line was the exact same as the previous loses. Even down to Murray giving up 3 goals. The only difference is they shot 20% and bounces that were not going in, went in. But go ahead, push the narrative that it's down to 2 d-men coming back and miraculously this team is amazing again. Like they aren't 7th in the league in goals against, doing that while these two d-men weren't in the lineup.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, no. The stat line was the exact same as the previous loses. Even down to Murray giving up 3 goals. The only difference is they shot 20% and bounces that were not going in, went in. But go ahead, push the narrative that it's down to 2 d-men coming back and miraculously this team is amazing again. Like they aren't 7th in the league in goals against, doing that while these two d-men weren't in the lineup.

The two dmen literally created the first two goals.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

The two dmen literally created the first two goals.
That's great, and I'm happy they won. But don't gloss over what actually led to the win and how nothing changed on the defensive end.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Doesn't matter that you've played if you consistently say things that show you don't understand defense that activates is pretty much how everyone in the NHL plays now, especially when you have defense that can skate.

I'm with you that I don't want Jack Johnson playing like he's Kris Letang, but this team gets so much more out of their offense when they have D consistently joining the rush and playing aggressive. The key is our forwards buying in to cover for them and the weak side D shifting out to prevent odd man rushes and breakways.

Again, can you tell me specifically what you don't like about Sullivan's system?

I don't like relying on the defense constantly pinching to keep pucks in. I'm not saying a defensemen can never pinch. My way with the F3 high, he can cover if need be. But constantly pinching is high risk imo especially in the playoffs. They are going to get exposed badly in the playoffs when everything tightens up. I get my way to play isn't fun for 82 regular season games but it's how you have to play in the playoffs.

We only really won Sully's way one time and the amount of games was pretty much identical. 2016, Caps in 6. Tampa in 7. SCF in 6. 2017, Caps in 7. Ottawa in 7. SCF in 6. 2017 was with plugs on defense. Imagine if we got defensemen to actually play defense. We won because of our elite offense with a subpar defense. Now imagine if we had an above average defense.

That's been my biggest gripe the whole time is we got two generational talent centers. Then we had goal scorers like Neal, Kessel, Guentzel. I don't need the freaking defense to help in scoring. I need them to not give up goals. I'm taking our offense vs any offense in the league any day. Look at the offensive talent we've had over the years. We would have way more Cups if we had a defense/system worth a damn.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You're forgetting that pretty much every team collapses. So your forwards are always 3-on-5 down low and facing the wrong way with momentum against them if something goes wrong.

If your defencemen aren't pinching you're looking at almost constant 3-on-2s or worse the other way. It only takes 1 bad pass or 1 blocked shot.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad