Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Muzz/Letang are STARS tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Imo Murray has played too much to start the season...we’ll need to play him later in the season for the PO push...he’s near the top already in games played next to Fleury...he shouldn’t play more than about 50 games altogether...

Very well could be, I'd assume we'll likely see Jarry in net tomorrow for the back to back so there's some available rest there. Interested in seeing Jarry again regardless, was pretty encouraged by his last effort so want to see how he fairs against a quality team.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
In neither of the last two games when we got down 1 0, did I think that the game was over. Both times my confidence has been justified. That simply wouldn't have been the case last season. I admittedly got really burnt out on the Pens after last year because the way they were playing was maddening, depressing, and boring. Game one this year and I was almost wondering if I'd be able to make it 81 more. Bad is one thing, dispassionate another. But the intensity that they've played with since has been incredible. It's been way more fun watching the games, and I can't wait for each next one. Glad it's tomorrow, and it should be a good one. I'm fired up *insert Penguins baby gif*

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Standings/that stuff doesn't really matter. Pens struggled in 2016 and won the Cup. Injured to high hell in 2017 - won the Cup. Tampa DOMINATED and lost in the first round. St Louis was last place - win the Cup.

BUT... finding an identity and finding this type of chemistry is monster. We aren't just winning based on skill. We aren't just winning because Sid is on fire, albeit he is. This team is finding chemistry and playing with speed. They are playing with tenacity. And we are finding young cheap players who can deliver big.

This team is fun. Win or lose... this team is worth my time and investment.

I agree with you that standings don't matter that much but I'm a little tired of us never winning the division. Maybe this is the year?

I'll settle for just keeping the playoff streak alive though. It's not easy to make the playoffs and it gets harder every year. Playoff hockey is always exciting (even last year's was...at least the first two games :p ) so don't take it for granted.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
was PPG Arena as much of a mortuary as it sounded over the tv? A library sounded louder...

It was bad. Possibly the quietest its ever been when I've been there.

Anyway, thoughts and stuff

- Both Simon and Guentzel have played better games of hockey. Both messed up on a lot of plays you'd normally bet on them to make and that was a big part of why it took so long to beat Dallas. Yet both figured in goals because they kept going to the right areas and trying to do the right things and they got rewarded for that. I feel exasperated that they got rewarded and Sid didn't, but I feel like there's a lesson there in terms of rating players; even on bad days, they can make a difference.

- Until McCann scored his goal, I was coming to the impression that he was Sheahan as a C; defensively responsible, offensively reliant on his wingers. Not that the goal actually changed my opinion. Kahun impressed me; he's a guy who can buy his team mates space. Horny didn't impress, but I know what he's doing even when not impressive. If that line failed to fire, I'm blaming McCann a lot. Goal aside, I thought the line wasn't much more than okay.

- Solid effort from ABT but not much more. I didn't think Bluegers was as bad as some seem to think but they rarely connected with each other as a line.

- I can't decide what I think of AJ. If he won a single board battle, I think he missed it. Yet I like his hands and IQ. And his speed to negate that icing! Blandisi and Lafferty were decent.

- I think Sully was trying to put Schultz-Pettersson with Sid and I'm not sure I appreciated it. I actually thought Letang was a bit careless with the pcuk at times last night but incredible game overall. Dumo had a fine game too. Whole of the defence really.

- That said, Murray rescued us. Too many grade A performances that he had to shut the door on. And he did.

- Fantastic team spirit. You sense that the team is super clear on its aims. That's the most fun part right now. People aren't wrong about that being a game we lose last season.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I agree with you that standings don't matter that much but I'm a little tired of us never winning the division. Maybe this is the year?

I'll settle for just keeping the playoff streak alive though. It's not easy to make the playoffs and it gets harder every year. Playoff hockey is always exciting (even last year's was...at least the first two games :p ) so don't take it for granted.
I’d love the division. It’d be amazing. But what I’m most happy about right now is this team building a cushion that when things go south, as they do for almost every team at some point. String of losses. Bounces don’t go your way. Zebras call everything against you. We will have that gap. I just hope this team pushes and pushes early on so when that time comes it only brings us back to center and not behind the 8 ball.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The only negatives I'd say about this game is that I thought Marino had a pretty poor game overall and Simon was absolutely awful. Everything else was good IMO.
Agreed on both fronts. Simon and Marino are overhandling the puck a bit. Simon in particular was getting a little too cute with the puck in our end of the ice. Marino has kind of come back to earth a bit. Not terrible, but a step back from the first few games. He'll learn.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And the beat goes on. Wasn't able to catch this one, but happy to read the PGT and see that the team is still playing with a lot of heart and effort.

Said it all last year. The losses, per se, didn't bother me. It's how they lost that did. Too many nights where they just looked disorganized and didn't look like they cared. Since the call-ups this season, it's like a 180. Hopefully that continues even with a full roster.

Reactions: EightyOne

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
++++++ Team hustle/effort: I forget who said it in the GDT but this effort is better than anything I can remember all last season. The heart/effort/etc. It's all there. Incredible work.
+++++++ Letang: Take away his goal and he still gets this spot. His passing was top of the line tonight. Incredible. Dishes were safe, good pace, crisp, and put his guys full stride. Incredible work. I do not think it's overreacting to say that might have been Tanger's best game that is not a playoff game. I don't think he made a SINGLE mistake.

+++ Sid line: Another great game. I think Jake could have had 3 goals. Sid could have had one.

+++ McCann,Horny, Laff, Tanev: All great hustle games. Just good heart/hustle. I actually liked that McCann/Horny duo. Thought they were great.

+++ Murray: No doubt he kept us alive time and time again. We got a little luck (post/awful rebound shot by Seguin) but Muzz was spectacular. Very solid.

I don't have any minuses here. Simon had a bad 1st/2nd but he was still solid. Blueger struggled a bit. Some bad turnovers and very quiet game. WHen he's quiet and turning the puck over, it's bad. JJ on the first goal made no sense. He was on the complete wrong side of the ice. But he still was incredible for the majority of the game.
How did Blueger struggle?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
True, but even in a game like this, Simon reacts quickly to win the race to the puck and get it to Letang for his 1st goal.
He does little things like this all the time that many don't appreciate.

Simon is a tremendously intelligent hockey player. He is one of those guys that can do everything well. The differing with him comes down to whether he does everything well enough to be a top line player.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Simon is a tremendously intelligent hockey player. He is one of those guys that can do everything well. The differing with him comes down to whether he does everything well enough to be a top line player.
No, he's not talented enough to be a top line player on any team. He can't carry a line on any night. However, if he plays a style that allows Jake and Sid to do exactly what they did last year then I'm ok with it though. So far they're on track. Why change anything? Plus there's the added benefit that we get to to strengthen another line with RW's like Rust, Horny and Kahun (who I think has a lot more to give).

That being said, he's not a lock by any means. McCann would be my first choice and Rust would be my 2nd. But if the puck is in the hands of Sid as much as we've seen this year (57% corsi), what's there to fix?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Simon's a prime third liner. He's smart, he won't ever be the guy that ends up hurting a line, but he's not good enough at any aspect to warrant a top-6 spot, imo. His shot is abysmal, and a legitimate non-threat. That's a big, big problem because it allows guys to key in on Sid and Jake, daring Simon to shoot. He's god decent enough hands, he's a decent enough passer, but he's pretty much wholly without a shot. He may or may not be the best stop-gap option we have now, but that line still needs a permanent RW moving forward.

Last edited:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think Simon's a prime third liner. He's smart, he won't ever be the guy that ends up hurting a line, but he's not good enough at any aspect to warrant a top-6 spot, imo. His shot is abysmal, and a legitimate non-threat. That's a big, big problem because it allows guys to key in on Sid and Jake, daring Simon to shoot. He's god decent enough hands, he's a decent enough passer, but he's pretty much wholly without a shot. He may or may not be the best stop-gap option we have now, but that line still needs a permanent RW moving forward.
Agreed. Sid's rw should be Rust, McCann, or horny

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed. Sid's rw should be Rust, McCann, or horny
I think Rust is probably the best option if he plays like he did a couple years ago and stops trying to pretend he's some sniper. Horny's too slow for the tempo Sid/Jake play with. I like McCann a lot, and I've liked that line a lot in the past, but I'm not sure he's got the tenacity to bring the Rust/Tanev style of game that line's missing, imo.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Guys we could trade and lose very little: Bjugstad, Kahun, Gudbranson, Johnson

Guys I could see traded in a hockey move: Schultz, Hornqvist, Rust, Riikola

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
And the beat goes on. Wasn't able to catch this one, but happy to read the PGT and see that the team is still playing with a lot of heart and effort.

Said it all last year. The losses, per se, didn't bother me. It's how they lost that did. Too many nights where they just looked disorganized and didn't look like they cared. Since the call-ups this season, it's like a 180. Hopefully that continues even with a full roster.

but every hockey nickname has to end in Y. So we shorten Murray to Murr, and then add Y. We'll call him Murry.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Standings/that stuff doesn't really matter. Pens struggled in 2016 and won the Cup. Injured to high hell in 2017 - won the Cup. Tampa DOMINATED and lost in the first round. St Louis was last place - win the Cup.

BUT... finding an identity and finding this type of chemistry is monster. We aren't just winning based on skill. We aren't just winning because Sid is on fire, albeit he is. This team is finding chemistry and playing with speed. They are playing with tenacity. And we are finding young cheap players who can deliver big.

This team is fun. Win or lose... this team is worth my time and investment.

Pens finished with 4th best record in the league in 16, and 2nd best in 17.

We can talk about not worrying about standings, but home ice has some legit value when your top horses are all on the wrong side of 30.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I’m with you here. Really seems like he fights the puck at times. Has been pretty frequent this year, at least lately. I wouldn’t mind him being resigned but hopefully it’s not some stupid Vasilevskiy type contract. That’s just way too much.

Prob same we see with most goalies ... Especially ones who start off how Murray did and set such a high bar for himself....even tougher. We all saw how confident he was when he first came in...not to mention it being the playoffs. Was never fazed.

2018 - going for that 3peat is when it changed. Dealt with Dad dying and had a few injuries...was struggling after that. And pretty much has been since. Of course still had some great games in between but he didnt steal games for us these last two playoffs. Caps series was def on him(i say we still win if Malkin/Hags duo didnt get hurt against Philly but thats why we needed Murray even more). And while the Isles sweep was on our offense...if Murray steals a game out of the first two, that could have changed. Look back at the Sens ECF...we could have easily been swept there too if game 2 goes their way. We had probs scoring in all of the first 3 games then suddenly started beating Anderson. Getting healthier helped.

Anyway was always worried with Murray going thru the same thing evry goalie does...growing pains. Too hard to stay at a high level at that young of an age. There are so many adjustments you have to keep making(when teams are breaking down hours and hours of video on how to beat that goalie).

And
Murray having the personal issues on the side def didn't help. Toughest position in league. Weird how at 21 he was more confident than at 24 . Its why I always wanted that backup vet just in case. And i still say Casey should have been put in for a game against the Caps and we could have won that series(but would have never happened...he didnt have the experience or pedigree....tho during the season he showed that same calmness in net that Murray had). We were in all of those games...up in most..and allllmost breaking Holtby again but a Murray goal would prevent it and let Holtby settle down again. We were so close so many times from that happening..lol that was the most frustrating thing about that series. Other than them scoring either 30 seconds in to start a period or to end it...every single time...and we continued to let it happen lol. Murray was already struggling in the Flyers series so taking him out for a game and letting the team hit the reset button wouldnt have been a bad decision..

But just giving examples of what goalies go thru...and its the elite ones who eventually get past this. Murray will likely get back to his 2016-17 level as he ages. We saw Fleury become Much better when he reached 30. Knew that would happen.

I just want the Pens to be willing to take him out for a game or two in the playoffs if he does what he did the last two(again...Isles series our offense couldn't score but Murray did keep letting up a goal immediately after we would get that 1-0 in every game...also tied up game 1 at 3 to go to OT and he lost that one....it happens but point is they shouldnt be worried about upsetting him and get back to doing what they did when they had Murray/Fleury. Yeah our backups arent on that level but we also wouldnt need them for as long. Just able to come in for a game to give that spark, if we are in that situation again.

Doing something like that shouldnt cause issues with the starter or making it a controversy...etc. Simply allowing the #1 to reset and get back in there.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still think (read: hope) that Kahun's still struggling with settling in, and once he gets comfortable and finds a spot and linemates, he'll play well. Even if he doesn't, he's pretty expendable and his deal is up this summer. Cap space.

but every hockey nickname has to end in Y. So we shorten Murray to Murr, and then add Y. We'll call him Murry.
Murzy. Everyone's happy, except Murray, and really--who cares? :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad