Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Geno dusts off the old g-mode and puts on a 3rd period show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I always said if the Pens are in the top 15 of hits, then we are not a good team. I'm not against hits in any way, but that means we are chasing and chasing and chasing.

I would like to see us interfere more, hit less, and possess way more.
Exactly. In hockey in general the team who hits the most usually loses. Almost a rule.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Malkin could still be "complimented" as a winger no?

KIRK's answered a lot of this but I'd add another two points -

a) Wingers are cheaper than Centres. Finding the right Centre for a Wing-Malkin would be obnoxiously hard.

b) I worry more about having Geno with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone than he do about his defensive duties. Keeping him at C = more puck. I can see a situation where maybe we have a C with Geno to take the face-offs, but in open play, Geno is the one who should be at C.

Cullen...okay wait is that completely crazy? (Gives head a shake) Can't play that many minutes/game at ES.

Edit: Okay I've talked myself into Cullen, if he can handle the minutes. Bluegs/Bjugs/Canns get 3c/4c. Sounds silly until you consider the type of 2-way, intelligent, gritty/jammy player that compliments Geno well. If it can't be Rust, Cullen is the 2nd best choice. All are welcome aboard this ridiculous bandwagon.

The worst Cullen looked this season was at W. People talk about him coming back post-injury, but he was definitely trending up before the injury when put at C. Also, he hasn't handled going up the lines well this season. I really don't think Cullen is the answer.

Also, its all about the balance imo. Guys like Horny look a lot better on Geno's line when balanced with a pacy puckhound who can play and are often quite successful.

If Malkin was as good as some people here think he is then he would make his linemates better just like Sid does.

The excuses are sickening. Why should a 9 million dollar player be coddled like a baby?

He’s a great player when we wants to be but his inconsistent effort and focus cheapens the overall product. He is what he is.

Sid is kept away from linemates he doesn't gel with. Geno isn't. That's the big difference right there. Why shouldn't the 9.1m million dollar player receive the same love and support as the 8.7m player?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sid is kept away from linemates he doesn't gel with. Geno isn't. That's the big difference right there. Why shouldn't the 9.1m million dollar player receive the same love and support as the 8.7m player?

Guentzel, Crosby and a mishmash of RW's
Mishmash of LW's, Malkin, Kessel

I don't think either have been mistreated at all.

They tried to change out from Hagelin to Pearson for him (Malkin) and it didn't work. How about getting Sid a RW, why does he have to play with a mixture all the time.

This isn't meant to be a smartass post, but people feel Malkin has been wronged here. Fact is, Malkin has played with worse and still managed to do well enough. People also forget that when Geno had Kunitz/Neal on his wings the team was without its best player. The defense is good enough for Geno with Schultz back, but let's not pretend Geno didn't do some of bad plays on his own accord as well when without Schultz. Pucks off his stick, poor passes, or just looping around.

At times we see this from all of them.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
LOL at people who compare Crosby and Malkin. Other has two tailor made wingers and plays always with top-3 defense pairing in the league behind him.
Other has broken down Kessel and some random bottom sixer and obviously Johnsson-x behind him. What the hell you think is going to happen?

Sullivan knows there isn't lot he can do with this D corp. so for him it's easier just keep Crosby happy

Yeah, I can’t be the only one who gets pissed off by this. They signed JJ to keep Crosby happy, but Malkin gets all the punishment.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah, I can’t be the only one who gets pissed off by this. They signed JJ to keep Crosby happy, but Malkin gets all the punishment.

People can keep saying this, but some proof would be nice. They were teammates forever ago, cool. I'm sure Crosby had some input on his character as a player, but this has JR written all over it. No need to blame it on Crosby.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Exactly. In hockey in general the team who hits the most usually loses. Almost a rule.
More than likely because the team is hitting because they are behind and trying to spark something...

Problem with the Pens’ “hits” is that they don’t do inflict anything worthwhile.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
People also forget that JR drafted him in Carolina.

And then jettisoned his rights to LAK while he was still playing college because JMFJ was being a MFer by not signing multiple contract offers with CAR and GMJR.

Maybe JR feels guilty that he couldn't come to terms back then and always wanted him. Maybe he won't care about jettisoning his *** again.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
People also forget that JR drafted him in Carolina.
He also traded him as well. I don't know what to think of it. Many of the moves since the last cup win have been head scratchers to say the least.

They won two cups based upon their speed, the rest of the league started copying that model. So, they decided to stay ahead of the curve and build their team around....uh...I'm not so sure....but then again, I'm not as far-thinking as the Penguins upper management. Or, they could be just throwing crap against a wall and seeing what sticks. That seems more likely.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Guentzel, Crosby and a mishmash of RW's
Mishmash of LW's, Malkin, Kessel

I don't think either have been mistreated at all.

They tried to change out from Hagelin to Pearson for him (Malkin) and it didn't work. How about getting Sid a RW, why does he have to play with a mixture all the time.

This isn't meant to be a smartass post, but people feel Malkin has been wronged here. Fact is, Malkin has played with worse and still managed to do well enough. People also forget that when Geno had Kunitz/Neal on his wings the team was without its best player. The defense is good enough for Geno with Schultz back, but let's not pretend Geno didn't do some of bad plays on his own accord as well when without Schultz. Pucks off his stick, poor passes, or just looping around.

At times we see this from all of them.

There's a big difference in how ideally suited Guentzel and Crosby are to each other, and how ideally suited to each other Kessel and Malkin is. We might as well have built Jake in a lab when it comes to fit with Sid. The fit between Malkin and Kessel is a lot less tight.

Also Sid gets first choice on his mish mash of RWs (and has had first choice on LW obviously) and - super crucially - gets a first class attacking dman to play with most of the time. Geno doesn't have first choice on RWs, or LWs, or for most of this season, a first class attacking dman. I suspect that if he did have his choice of LWs, Hagelin would still be here.

I'm not saying "And therefore it's not surprise Geno has done nothing". Geno has indeed turned it on before without a lot of support and a lot of Geno's problems are in his own form.

But he hasn't got the same support as Sid has. And even with Schultz back, he's still not getting it. And he should get that support.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
DeSmith reminds me a bit of Fleury. Less about technical ability and positioning, and more about reacting and being athletic.

That's why when he's dialed in, he can make those highlight reel saves. But if he's off just a bit, he looks like he's flopping around out there and isn't making the positional saves.

My exact thoughts on DeSmith.

Jack Johnson by virtue of his awful play and contract could be what killed the end of the Sid Malkin era.

Bad contract, yeah. But let's not be over dramatic here.

Exactly. He’s a lesser Fleury right down to the bright yellow pads! Of course that explains why a certain section of the fan base think he’s as good or better than Murray.

Haha, maybe! However I think the real reason is the MAF maniacs are just that - maniacs. They are angry that Murray (rightfully) took MAF's starting gig and won 2 Cups.

I like that Pearson was scratched?

With D, is the system or the personnel? Thoughts?

BOAF. The coaches aren't teaching their players to follow the puck like lost puppies in the D zone or to offer zero resistance in the NZ. Players are doing this. BUT, this is the best hockey league in the world. You have the players to make things work. They aren't.

Definitely the annoying part. Sid and Letang look 2016 level right now and we are likely going to be lucky to get in the playoffs and if we do we are playing Tampa.

Ugh. That'd be awful. Can't even imagine how obnoxious the TBL fans would be during and after that series.

Blazenumb1

Jan 26, 2019
First post(don't be too harsh lol) but recent lurker on the thread. Given how well ZAR played with Geno I would imagine that's tried again for their next game. However, am I crazy for wanting to see Bjugstad play with Sid? So lines like this

Jake-Sid-Bjudstad
ZAR-Geno-Phil
Ted-MCcann-Rust
Pearson-Cullen-Horny - I think he has a lot more upside than Wilson.

Reactions: canadianguy77

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I always said if the Pens are in the top 15 of hits, then we are not a good team. I'm not against hits in any way, but that means we are chasing and chasing and chasing.

I would like to see us interfere more, hit less, and possess way more.

Well, players like Jack Johnson certainly are part of that recipe. :razz:

First post(don't be too harsh lol) but recent lurker on the thread. Given how well ZAR played with Geno I would imagine that's tried again for their next game. However, am I crazy for wanting to see Bjugstad play with Sid? So lines like this

Jake-Sid-Bjudstad
ZAR-Geno-Phil
Ted-MCcann-Rust
Pearson-Cullen-Horny - I think he has a lot more upside than Wilson.

Pretty sure Sid isn't comfortable with Bjugstad. This isn't like Geno, where the coaches will throw **** against the wall for the sake of throwing **** against the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad