Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 - The Murray and Sid show!

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
My thoughts:

Yay, they won! But...boy, it doesn’t look like they have a snowball’s chance of winning 18 more games :laugh:. Oh well.

4th line has looked awful for a while. But, it’ll never be tweaked, because...reasons. I noticed Marleau a few times! McCann...yeesh, but again, nothing will change.

I agree with switching Zucker/Jake for Geno, but...more reasons. Poor Geno.

5-2 win next game with 2 PPG!

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he's better as a winger because of his limited vision and the fact he plays more of an up and down game.

Unfortunately, we don't have another center to use in that spot.

When he’s at wing it’s, “he needs to be at C to have the puck more and dictate things.” I think he’s just an inconsistent player having a bad streak at a bad time, but he doesn’t fit W or C perfectly at this point. Maybe something eventually clicks, idk.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm no expert on ZAR, but wasn't he supposed to be the 'physical presence' that can bang bodies, win board battles, etc?

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Also, goal aside, Zucker looked pretty good last night. He played with an edge that I didn't think he was capable of. It'll never happen, but him with Sid and Horny would drive Price and Weber nuts

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think he's better as a winger because of his limited vision and the fact he plays more of an up and down game.

Unfortunately, we don't have another center to use in that spot.

Lafferty and Rodrigues both play C and both looked decent in training camp. If McCann can't step it up, I'd happily back one of them to be better.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lafferty and Rodrigues both play C and both looked decent in training camp. If McCann can't step it up, I'd happily back one of them to be better.

Why wait for another loss? I’d endorse replacing McCann with ERod and see what he can do. Marleau can’t play center full time and Laff is much better at wing

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Nothing I saw in this game gives me hope this team is a serious contender. Shouldn't be that difficult to beat the 24th ranked team.

Haven't you seen this movie before?

Some teams are bad match-ups for other teams.

And this kind of bore-fest trapping defense first team always has given the Pens trouble.

You have to be patient and win a low scoring game. Battle in the corners. Get your nose dirty in front of the net and score ugly goals. Score on the powerplay.

The Pens stars never have been willing or able to commit to that kind of game against this kind of team. Coaching gets some blame, but this has been a problem longer than this coaching staff has been around.

Get by the Canadiens and the story changes.

Reactions: NeedleInTheHay

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why wait for another loss? I’d endorse replacing McCann with ERod and see what he can do. Marleau can’t play center full time and Laff is much better at wing

If Sully doesn't want to wait and makes the move, that's no skin off my nose.

Although I won't complain too much either if he shows a little more faith in the hoping of finding that game that gets a hot streak going.

I do hope/am pretty sure he's thinking about his options though. There's a bunch of talk about the top six but they're doing 90% of their job and it's conceivable the remaining 10% lies in better personal performances. The bottom six are losing their lunch money though. They're a much further way from doing their job and while I'm sure there's better to be had from them from better personal performances, they'd have to be pretty radical to make it better than a break even unit as things stand.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If Sully doesn't want to wait and makes the move, that's no skin off my nose.

Although I won't complain too much either if he shows a little more faith in the hoping of finding that game that gets a hot streak going.

I do hope/am pretty sure he's thinking about his options though. There's a bunch of talk about the top six but they're doing 90% of their job and it's conceivable the remaining 10% lies in better personal performances. The bottom six are losing their lunch money though. They're a much further way from doing their job and while I'm sure there's better to be had from them from better personal performances, they'd have to be pretty radical to make it better than a break even unit as things stand.

What’s their job? If you don’t think it’s to score but only to prevent goals against, then McCann’s line is doing its job...BART isn’t but that’s another matter...if you think they need to contribute offensively, then they are far away as you say...

Reactions: canadianguy77

CascadiaPenguin

Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Yep, I suggested the same after G1. But the coach apparently believes the reclusive McCanon shot will make an appearance. I'm close to giving up on the guy, he's looked terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad