Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Game 2 Pens vs. Sabres

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Realistically they should break up the top PP into two separate entities. They finally have the personnel to do it with too.

True, but Geno and Sid like playing with one another too much. I'm not too torn up if it never happens, even if it's a pretty good idea.

Bennett, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang/Pouliot would be magnificent. I mean, we know how much freaking Sullivan added with his RH shot, and he's no BB. But we keep shoehorning Kunitz and now Jokinen in there. Frustrating.

No, for the same reason you can't play Bennett with Malkin unless you've got no choice, you can't play him on the #1 PP. His play might make it impossible not to keep him there.

It seems like they're purposely trying to limit his opportunities until they can get him to sign a 2nd contract, haha.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
This team is so different from previous years. None of that "go north" stuff. We're actually methodical in our breakouts and supporting the puck. Our D is allowed to reverse. Using the middle of the ice really well in the neutral zone. I love the touch passes to streaking forwards too... It has Jacques Martin written all over it and I'm thrilled.

Niskanen had some poor turnovers and Martin limp-wristed a few clearing attempts.

Vitale and Jeffrey were killing penalties and looking good at it too. Vitale tipped some passes with his stick and Jeffrey turned a 1-on-2 into a scoring chance that was probably better than anything the Sabres had all night.

And it's extremely encouraging. I'm looking forward to this year. It feels like we're a fourth line and a few tweaks away from making a real run.

Unfortuntely, those few tweaks seem incredibly unlikely to occur without something forcing Bylsma's hand.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Realistically they should break up the top PP into two separate entities. They finally have the personnel to do it with too.

Having Crosby and Malkin both out there seems to just muddy the waters too much. Too many chiefs and too few indians.

Yes, but having Bennett out there opens up the entire ice. Frankly, with a healthy Neal, the guy who shouldn't be on a PP with Sid and Geno is Kunitz.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't pretend to know what they are thinking anymore.

I thought Morrow was untouchable until one day in late March when I was sitting outside a DQ about to smash my iPhone off a wall.

Morrow was getting benched or having his ice time severely limited in WBS though, so something was obviously up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
True, but Geno and Sid like playing with one another too much. I'm not too torn up if it never happens, even if it's a pretty good idea.

Bennett, Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang/Pouliot would be magnificent. I mean, we know how much freaking Sullivan added with his RH shot, and he's no BB. But we keep shoehorning Kunitz and now Jokinen in there. Frustrating.

It seems like they're purposely trying to limit his opportunities until they can get him to sign a 2nd contract, haha.

#12 and #13

Funny, I move half way across the world, and we start seeing things similarly. One of us needs Fleury's shrink. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And it's extremely encouraging. I'm looking forward to this year. It feels like we're a fourth line and a few tweaks away from making a real run.

Unfortuntely, those few tweaks seem incredibly unlikely to occur without something forcing Bylsma's hand.

We need Bennett in the top six and a cup caliber first line too (note, I said first line . . . not a shot at Sid).

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
What's sad is I remember the Pens playing against Sutter. His entire job was to cover Geno. He absolutely blanketed him. Mugged, hooked, held, bit . . . did whatever you'd expect a Sutter to do to get the job done. THAT is the Sutter who I thought the Pens were getting. It's not the one they got.

I can't say I remember that, but that's not a huge surprise. :laugh:
Maybe he just doesn't work in this system or with this role on the team? Decided he was going to be more gentlemanly, it's a reffing thing, Bylsma or someone spoke to him? IDK, it's not good.

I think the biggest problem, and it showed in the playoffs, is that Sutter doesn't have enough muscle. If he won't put it on, screw him. If he can't put it on, I think someone talked about an interview where he said he couldn't put weight on, then I think he's got to be done here. Not being able to put on muscle would essentially be his ceiling, regardless of potential.

He also looks like an insomniac/stoner, which might explain a bit. :sarcasm:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That Vanek goal was ridiculous. I want that guy here so bad.

Maybe he will make it to July 1 then sign here. Malkin has Neal while Crosby has Vanek. Worlds just not FAIR! We will have the cap space for him, especially if Fleury does not change and we buy him out.

Vanek-Crosby-BB
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
JJ-Sutter-Dupuis

Killer offense, killer D with Martin controlling them.

Knowing Bylsma it will be

KCD
Vanek-Malkin-Neal
JJ-Sutter-Kobasew? if he inks more years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Morrow was getting benched or having his ice time severely limited in WBS though, so something was obviously up.

He was starting to turn it around though, but since Maatta is in the NHL right now and Despres is eternally in the doghouse, I should probably prepare myself.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Maybe he will make it to July 1 then sign here. Malkin has Neal while Crosby has Vanek. Worlds just not FAIR! We will have the cap space for him, especially if Fleury does not change and we buy him out.

Vanek-Crosby-BB
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
JJ-Sutter-Dupuis

Killer offense, killer D with Martin controlling them.

Knowing Bylsma it will be

KCD
Vanek-Malkin-Neal
JJ-Sutter-Kobasew? if he inks more years.

KIRK's been drinking

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
We need Bennett in the top six and a cup caliber first line too (note, I said first line . . . not a shot at Sid).

We could do that, but then Dupuis' feelings would be hurt and Bylsma would have broken a promise to Dupuis. That only happens to rookies.

What this team needs more than anything is for the lines to be done properly, until that happens the roster is a fairly moot point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can't say I remember that, but that's not a huge surprise. :laugh:
Maybe he just doesn't work in this system or with this role on the team? Decided he was going to be more gentlemanly, it's a reffing thing, Bylsma or someone spoke to him? IDK, it's not good.

I think the biggest problem, and it showed in the playoffs, is that Sutter doesn't have enough muscle.
If he won't put it on, screw him. If he can't put it on, I think someone talked about an interview where he said he couldn't put weight on, then I think he's got to be done here. Not being able to put on muscle would essentially be his ceiling, regardless of potential.

He also looks like an insomniac/stoner, which might explain a bit. :sarcasm:

That's why I referenced his time against Geno when he was with the Canes. Muscle didn't prevent him from doing a great job. No, sad and odd as it sounds, I wonder if what he really lacks is that Sutter tenacity. You look at his dad, still looks like a guy who scares the **** out of you. Probably would play a pick up game against 10 year olds that way. The apple, I'm afraid, fell far from the tree in that regard. It's not that I think he doesn't care. It's that he lacks the killer attitude or tenacity or whatever you want to call it that his dad had (and has).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He was starting to turn it around though, but since Maatta is in the NHL right now and Despres is eternally in the doghouse, I should probably prepare myself.

No matter how much sense it makes to trade Niskanen, yes, you should prepare yourself.

On a side note: Do you think Borts will look better, worse, or the same with Nisky on his left side rather than Maatta?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's why I referenced his time against Geno when he was with the Canes. Muscle didn't prevent him from doing a great job. No, sad and odd as it sounds, I wonder if what he really lacks is that Sutter tenacity. You look at his dad, still looks like a guy who scares the **** out of you. Probably would play a pick up game against 10 year olds that way. The apple, I'm afraid, fell far from the tree in that regard. It's not that I think he doesn't care. It's that he lacks the killer attitude or tenacity or whatever you want to call it that his dad had (and has).

I think tenacity, grit, aggression, attitude or whatever (x factor) is part of it. He's kind of mellow and meek. But if it had been the playoffs, who's to say that Geno wouldn't have thrown him off or destroyed him, or just done more to outplay Sutter. Hell, maybe Sutter could only keep that up for a game or two. The playoffs are a different beast, and that's where I think the cracks really started to show with Sutter.

Multiple problems, I guess.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We could do that, but then Dupuis' feelings would be hurt and Bylsma would have broken a promise to Dupuis. That only happens to rookies.

What this team needs more than anything is for the lines to be done properly, until that happens the roster is a fairly moot point.

And, don't forget, Sid really likes playing with Kunitz and Dupuis.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think tenacity, grit, aggression, attitude or whatever (x factor) is part of it. He's kind of mellow and meek. But if it had been the playoffs, who's to say that Geno wouldn't have thrown him off or destroyed him, or just done more to outplay Sutter. Hell, maybe Sutter could only keep that up for a game or two. The playoffs are a different beast, and that's where I think the cracks really started to show with Sutter.

Multiple problems, I guess.

C'mon, guys like Talbot (or Brent Sutter) . . . what a player lacks in size or muscle he can make up for with tenacity and abandon. Brett, as you noted, is mellow and meek. He's a nice kid. What he needs is to play like a Sutter.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

I think it depends on his performance in WBS, Dumoulin is still out, so he's going to be relied on pretty heavily.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No matter how much sense it makes to trade Niskanen, yes, you should prepare yourself.

On a side note: Do you think Borts will look better, worse, or the same with Nisky on his left side rather than Maatta?

I think that's the wrong question, because Bort will hold his own no matter who his partner is.

The question is will which of these scenarios is more likely:

Maatta still having ice water in his veins come playoff time with a fierce forecheck

Or

Nisky finally not wilting come playoff time with a fierce forecheck

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
While Neal's out, I really want to see Jeffrey build chemistry with Sutter and Beau with Geno. A guy like Jokinen could then become expendable in a deal for a player that better fits our needs up front. Yes, yes I know Nisky is the board's official odd man out, but if the team is keeping him this year, then that's another option down the road.

I'm tired of your dislike for Jokinen. We shouldn't trade him. The dude is so versatile and he produces. He needs to be kept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad