Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Flyers & Pens

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think we won't be fine in the regular season, but I want to see us play this structured a game against top teams when our roster is fully healthy (i.e., I want to see us successfully fight off the impulse to go run and gun when invited to do so).

Fair enough. Neal and Letang are certainly guys who tend to play like idiots from time to time.

But I'd say Scuds and J. Martin will help Letang tremendously. And Malkin really buying in defensively will mitigate the ******** with Neal.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Flyers have had more head coaches than wins...

I'm not sure that Scuderi will actually make Letang a better player so much as cover for him and thus enable. The results should be better either way, though. Hopefully Martin really helps with that.

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
The Flyers have had more head coaches than wins...

I'm not sure that Scuderi will actually make Letang a better player so much as cover for him and thus enable. The results should be better either way, though. Hopefully Martin really helps with that.

I laughed, and re-posted on facebook.

Am I the only one that thought Fleury's Penalty was stupid? Seriously I know what he was trying to accomplish giving his dman time, but it was so obviously interference, it was fitting that they scored on that PP

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I laughed, and re-posted on facebook.

Am I the only one that thought Fleury's Penalty was stupid? Seriously I know what he was trying to accomplish giving his dman time, but it was so obviously interference, it was fitting that they scored on that PP

I dunno. I thought it was a chincy call. Seemed like one of those even-up calls if anything. I've seen goalies make that play a thousand times, and rarely are they ever called for it.

That said, I'm glad that this game didn't turn into a gong-show like these Philly games usually do. If Neal had played, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't have. But on the other hand, maybe this Pens team has finally matured. One can hope.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+The 2nd best player in the world (Crosby) outscored the best player in the world (Giroux).

That achievement in itself deserves to be the lone plus for this game. ;)

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I dunno. I thought it was a chincy call. Seemed like one of those even-up calls if anything. I've seen goalies make that play a thousand times, and rarely are they ever called for it.

That said, I'm glad that this game didn't turn into a gong-show like these Philly games usually do. If Neal had played, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't have. But on the other hand, maybe this Pens team has finally matured. One can hope.
Turning his back wasn't what I had an issue with, that's puck protection, it's when he should have skated back to the net, and instead shook his booty at Talbot... to me it was an obvious and stupid penalty that ultimately costed him his shutout.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
+The 2nd best player in the world (Crosby) outscored the best player in the world (Giroux).

That achievement in itself deserves to be the lone plus for this game. ;)

That's mighty generous of you, calling Crosby the second best. He's top 10 on a good day.

It wasn't Fleury's finest moment, but I thought it was weird that it got called. :dunno:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Fair enough. Neal and Letang are certainly guys who tend to play like idiots from time to time.

But I'd say Scuds and J. Martin will help Letang tremendously. And Malkin really buying in defensively will mitigate the ******** with Neal.

That was my concern too. Letang and Neal tend to become idiots against the Flyers, spending the entire game being baited by Hartnell.

Of course, none of those three were involved this time.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Plus: Watching game replay on CSN Philly now for the hell of it and listening to drunk ol' Steve Coates say (without a hint of irony):

"Well if you don't count Crosby, and you don't count Malkin then it's a pretty even matchup between these teams up front."

It sure is, Coatesy. It sure is.

schommer75

Oct 2, 2010
Plus: Watching game replay on CSN Philly now for the hell of it and listening to drunk ol' Steve Coates say (without a hint of irony):

"Well if you don't count Crosby, and you don't count Malkin then it's a pretty even matchup between these teams up front."

I thought the same thing! Take away our 2 best players and THEN the teams are even

cool story bro

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Dude, unfortunately I recorder the wrong feed and that guy is AWFUL!
I remember him saying that. Along with him gushing over Wayne Simmonds greatness when Fleury robbed him in front of the net. Nothing about the save, just how great Simmonds is for going backhand to forehand...and promptly shooting it directly into Maffy's glove...
This is then followed by the statement in the third about how Fleury has been real good this game. But Mason has been better. This irked me because when he said it, they were showing Maffy's highlights. They weren't even talking about anything Mason was doing but he just had to throw that in (and yes, Mason played very well).
And yes, as you said, ironically enough, not 30 seconds after that statement was made, he then announces that Fleury is the number one star of the game! Literally 30 seconds after he says Mason has been better, he announces Fleury as the number one star as if he just forgot what came out of his mouth a half minute before!
Hahaha! What a moron!
I can't even tell you how many times he got obvious calls wrong, like when Schenn's shot went off the butt end of MAF's stick. On the replay Jones is talking about how Schenn's just fanned the shot when Coates interrupts by screaming,"No!! IT HIT THE POST!!! IT HIT THE POST!!!"
The play by play guy calmly says, "well, what it hit was the end of Fleury's stick there gentlemen". Ahhhhh they were brutal!
Then I remember who we have as our home announcers and realize what a hypocrite I am for laughing at these guys!
P.S. I liked Bortz coming out hard off of a scratch. Absolutely leveling Rinaldo and then whipping Newbury soundly.
#AkunaMäättata

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

That is why I keep saying that the Hart trophy is a joke. Not only do guys like these get to vote for it, but MOST of the voters are like this guy.

Do people forget that the Pens have lost the most man games in the NHL over the last few years, including almost their entire core for huge chunks of the years? Even now, Neal, Letang, etc, gone, gone gone. And yet they STILL put up 100 point plus seasons and have only lost one game this year.

How stupid can some people be?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Had to run off for meetings 10 minutes into the third, just saw the rest during a late lunch break.

In this game you just have to tip your cap to Glass for being not worthless on the puck and absolutely relentless when it comes to his physical play and work ethic. With a lineup as low on skill as this one was, that was important in keeping the puck in the Flyers end for most of the game. Less so in the third, but a push was expected with how the second period ended.

+'s to the grinders all around. It sure wasn't pretty, but they played hard.
+ to Bortuzzo who played real well after the first 10 minutes. Makes no sense not to just ride this horse from now on. He is ready for it and plays with an edge you rarely see from any of our other D-men.

+ to Niskanen and Dupuis for starting the season in a way that ought to increase their trade value even further. Niskanen does not look all that good in the defensive zone when we are under pressure, but he is fine when we are in control and he adds a lot to our transition game when going forward. Of course it boosts his production that him and Scuderi are out there with Sid's line as much as they are too.
- to the knowledge that I am so far from being in agreement with the Pens management that such a trade scenario would be an awesome idea to explore.

+ to MAF who played REALLY well except for that penalty.

+ to having Sid and Geno. They're pretty good at hockey.

- Kobasew on the 2nd line. There is just no way Jeffrey is not better for that line when it comes to his characteristics as a player. Not that he should be considered a second line option, but in a spot like this with Neal and Bennett out, it just kills me that the coach does not first think "who will be less obviously kryptonite for Geno". With the 1st line being set, it is overwhelmingly obvious to me that the answer is Jeffrey, and then you can use Kobasew on any of the bottom two lines in a role where he will be that much more likely to succeed. But nothing new there - the concept is just alien to Bylsma.

Bylsma I suppose should have a + his way for the fact that our neutral and defensive zone coverage was back to being largely very good in this one.

Ultimately.... ++++ on winning 4-1 at the Flyers, never mind how much they suck right now, and ++++ for the fact that they suck that much also :D .

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I was encouraged by the reappearance of the defensive structure. Pens are much better suited to play that 1-3-1 or LW lock.
I noticed it more too. I wonder if it had anything to do with the video sessions they had.

Something I have been wondering about, it seems like the system is engaging around the defensive blueline rather than the redline. I was thinking that this could be setup to cause dump-in's (rather than icings) so that we can take advantage with our mobile d-men and puck possession. Maybe that is just where I was noticing it.

I'm not a systems guy but I find it interesting and would like to hear some opinions on this.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the last thing Letang needs, is another babysitter on his line so he can go and do stupid stuff like rush up the ice and deke through a team and then flub a pass or a shot. I think one of the biggest reasons he did so well with Despres was because he took on the babysitter role and played a more responsible game.

Maybe I only saw it that way though. Or I am seeing things, or maybe this isn't apple juice and I have been drinking a big glass of scotch.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing a little Maatta/Letang and Scuds/Bort. Future dynamic top pairing and a secondary shutdown pair. Get Maatta more minutes with our best players.

Even if Nisky is still here, Scuds taking shifts with him certainly won't hurt.

Bengui

Jul 24, 2009
Saturday is gonna be a big test. Because, I don't know if the majority noticed, but we had to wait until our eight game before facing an opponent that finished higher than 20th last season.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The positives:

+Team defence. Every D-man looked good tonight, Orpik perhaps being the lone exception.

+First line. Kunitz creating chances and Sid finishing when he had the opportunity.

+Jussi Jokinen. A legitimate, solid 2nd line winger, to be sure.

+Malkin. Good two-way play tonight

+++MAF. Great game, hope he keeps up this level of play!

The negatives:

-The PP.

It's missing something, not sure what. Maybe the legit sniping threat Neal provides? A dangerous point shot option? Net front presence? All these areas could be improved to be sure, not sure what the biggest factor in holding them back actually is though. There certainly is enough talent on the ice.

-Kobasew on the second line.

He is an iffy third line option in my eyes, and to be blunt, looks lost playing in the top 6. Can't wait to see how that line gels when Neal gets back, they looked deadly in preseason.

Niskanen tied for 3rd in scoring among defensemen.

For all the flak he takes, Niskanen is bringing some much needed (considering who is injured atm) offensive spark from the blue line.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Turning his back wasn't what I had an issue with, that's puck protection, it's when he should have skated back to the net, and instead shook his booty at Talbot... to me it was an obvious and stupid penalty that ultimately costed him his shutout.

Brodeur does that all the time and it's never called, of course Marty would have probably flopped as soon as Talbot touched him and drawn a penalty.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Where is DJ? Hard to believe that he isn't better than DE at forward (rollseyes). Seriously, WTF is Bylsma doing with his job?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lets see what happens when we start playing Boston and Toronto.

When we beat them the mantra will just be "wait 'til the playoffs" anyway. Let's save some time and skip this step rather than pretending like wins against these teams in the regular season will convince doubters of anything. :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Where is DJ? Hard to believe that he isn't better than DE at forward (rollseyes). Seriously, WTF is Bylsma doing with his job?

Although he looked out of place/confused a few times, I thought he was noticeable for his strength and ability to protect the puck in the dirty areas in the offensive zone. Made a couple nice dishes too.

All in all, he was more noticeable than DJ's been the last couple games.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
When we beat them the mantra will just be "wait 'til the playoffs" anyway. Let's save some time and skip this step rather than pretending like wins against these teams in the regular season will convince doubters of anything. :laugh:

Based on his fast start, has Fleury convinced you that he's an elite level goaltender that can lead his team to the Cup, again? No?

Well...

As for Engelland. I thought he looked surprisingly competent with the puck in the offensive zone. Though he really had no idea what he was supposed to be doing in his own end. All in all, I'd rather have a mediocre forward playing over a mediocre defenseman playing forward. But that's mostly just me, based on the "Jeffrey sux" comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad