OT: Cole's OT Boutique: Beep Beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, when it was her turn to drive back from Seattle, I some how ended up having to listen to some live set of some EDC thing for an hour.

An Hour.

60 f***ING MINUTES OF WHAT SOUNDED LIKE THE SAME SHIT.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Actually an Aviation is an amazing gin based cocktail. Very flowery, too. Enjoyable.
Gin is good, I like Hendricks with some club soda (not tonic) and 2 slices of cucumbers at the bottom with ice on top of it so it weighs it down, adds a nice refreshing flavor to it.

Wrong is Mezcal, jesus christ, I forgot how awful that stuff was when we were in Capitol Hill at some Mexican bar/restaurant and all the drinks had Tequila, my dumb ass figured "meh when in Rome..." no. Never. Never is a good time for Tequila of any kind.

My gf who has seen me drink some pretty strong f***ed up alcoholic drinks saw me take a sip and was like "Yeah, no, if you think that's nasty, I'm not trying your drink."

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I.....just can't do it. I can't watch Ready Player One.

You can't compress those events into 1 week in the movie. You just can't and then have a decent movie. I am going to avoid this movie altogether, it now ceases to exist in my world. That book, as cheesy as it is, holds a special place in my heart with the nostalgia and the book in general. I know a lot don't like it, but I love it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
All my salary increases have come via new jobs. My current one is more than my previous two combined. Which is why I haven't flat out quit.

I do not like gin.

Also, here's a gif I made via Imgur that I believe could be used here frequently:

MvPZkKe.gif

Sarcastically and not.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh, when it was her turn to drive back from Seattle, I some how ended up having to listen to some live set of some EDC thing for an hour.

An Hour.

60 ****ING MINUTES OF WHAT SOUNDED LIKE THE SAME ****.

Like a nerd,i 've tried to look up science behind that thought. I hear that with country music. I hear that with rock music. I hear that A LOT with EDM. "It all sounds the same." And I cannot figure out what causes that. I've had talks about it with my friend to see what they are feeling when a beat is going. And it's funny because i'll hear something different, maybe a drum line or how the beat is timed.

But yeah - I've listened to about 15-20 1 hour sets this week while working or in the car. So imagine 20 hours instead of 1. :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Also - as i've said before, i'm not a drinker anymore but the occasional interesting beer here and there. Love Anderson Valley and had their blood orange gose. Superb. Comes off as a sour. Incredible taste. A great sipper. Highly recommended.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like a nerd,i 've tried to look up science behind that thought. I hear that with country music. I hear that with rock music. I hear that A LOT with EDM. "It all sounds the same." And I cannot figure out what causes that. I've had talks about it with my friend to see what they are feeling when a beat is going. And it's funny because i'll hear something different, maybe a drum line or how the beat is timed.

But yeah - I've listened to about 15-20 1 hour sets this week while working or in the car. So imagine 20 hours instead of 1. :laugh:

You savage.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

When someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of music, they're not going to be listening to it closely, ergo they're unlikely to notice the subtle differences that makes music from within the same genre sound different.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
When someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of music, they're not going to be listening to it closely, ergo they're unlikely to notice the subtle differences that makes music from within the same genre sound different.

True. This is very true. Like Country music just sounds like the most awful type of mainstream music ever created. I would rather listen to 20hrs of EDC.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I called 911 today for my dad, waited 4 hours in the waiting room and to CT Scan, then the little area he's staying 2 nights at and left at midnight and cried the whole 45 minute walk home but I stayed strong in front of him.

God...if you really do exist PLEASE spare my dad, i'll do anything! I don't have any other family, they turned their back on us. I PROMISE I'LL GET HIM TO LOSE THE WEIGHT! it will be my goal in life, I'm not ready to be alone in this f***in world. Omg these tears wont stop.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I called 911 today for my dad, waited 4 hours in the waiting room and to CT Scan, then the little area he's staying 2 nights at and left at midnight and cried the whole 45 minute walk home but I stayed strong in front of him.

God...if you really do exist PLEASE spare my dad, i'll do anything! I don't have any other family, they turned their back on us. I PROMISE I'LL GET HIM TO LOSE THE WEIGHT! it will be my goal in life, I'm not ready to be alone in this ****in world. Omg these tears wont stop.

Oh **** man. Hospitals in Victoria saved my life so your Dad’s in good hands and hopefully they can do the same for him.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Oh **** man. Hospitals in Victoria saved my life so your Dad’s in good hands and hopefully they can do the same for him.
I hope so, he may need surgery and has REALLY bad kidneys, plus they had to push his hernia back but could not do it all the way and was puking pooh that was blocked. My mom died in surgery...but there is a whole story for that (she was a crack addict, did needles and shit).

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I hope so, he may need surgery and has REALLY bad kidneys, plus they had to push his hernia back but could not do it all the way and was puking pooh that was blocked. My mom died in surgery...but there is a whole story for that (she was a crack addict, did needles and ****).

There will be someone at the hospital you can talk to to help you cope should you want too. My mum used it when I was in there. Helped her a little bit.

Doctors will generally give you the worst prognosis when giving their assessments if things aren’t conclusive as well. So it might be a little better than what they say.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

God...if you really do exist PLEASE spare my dad, i'll do anything! I don't have any other family, they turned their back on us. I PROMISE I'LL GET HIM TO LOSE THE WEIGHT! it will be my goal in life, I'm not ready to be alone in this ****in world. Omg these tears wont stop.
I don't really know what to say to people in these situations but I've been there. Hopefully he pulls through and the doctors get him out of that mess and you can start pulling him towards a healthier lifestyle.

Seeing my dad in the hospital after his stroke will stay with me forever. It's very grounding seeing a man you grew up watching everything he did just so frail and weak. Unfortunately a lifetime of unhealthy living habits finally caught up to him and he passed away. Hopefully your dad makes a full recovery. Having you there with him is going to help him a lot, even if you yourself feel helpless.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
@ColePens I'm starting to see what you mean when you say not being hungover is great :laugh:

Waking up on a Saturday not hungover and going to the gym at 10 feels a lot better than getting drunk on a Friday night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I'm decent friends with some of them (the bar after is a staple of casual league frisbee :laugh: and a group of them was just on my winter league team) and they all told me there's jobs I could apply for. I'm gonna start keeping an eye out for Scientist positions especially. That said, I'm not really actively trying to leave my current job. 1000+ people would be a hell of a change for me. We've got just under 30.

Bettis is a good place to work overall, I think. Not great, but good. Like I mentioned, the real selling points of working with NNL are the benefits.

The pay is mediocre and it's standardized, you're not likely to get that much more than a weaker candidate. My resume is phenomenal and I got the same offer as people who didn't have the GPA, work experience or extracurriculars I have. The environment is kinda tense because of the nature of the work, there are harsh penalties for doing things like bringing your phone on site multiple times or accidentally taking a confidential document off site. It's something you'll grow used to and it's something Bettis is actively trying to improve (they're actively trying to change the site to more of a college campus). They're working really hard to get and retain young people, so they're trying to improve the environment. Those are really my only 2 complaints with working with NNL. Sure, it sucks to not have my phone on me during the work day, but I'm not going to get all huffy about that.

There are a lot of good things with the company. The best thing outside of the benefits IMO is the ability to "change jobs" while staying in the company. Don't like your current position? You can stay at the same site and look for new openings in other units. If you see an opening, you can email the manager and possibly have a new job within a day. Don't like the location of where you're working? You can do the same thing, but jump to a different site. There are sites in NY, Idaho, Virginia, NH, South Carolina...there are a bunch of options. You might have to work at a shipyard or a fuel reprocessing site, but you do have those options.

TL;DR: working at the Bettis site is good

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The pay is mediocre and it's standardized, you're not likely to get that much more than a weaker candidate. My resume is phenomenal and I got the same offer as people who didn't have the GPA, work experience or extracurriculars I have.
As a weaker candidate (at least on paper) that sounds excellent :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->