OT: Cole's OT Bar: -18 and snow to 60 and run to 30 and rain all in one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Actually, the hardest thing about eating or cooking healthy is SHOPPING healthy.

There are a lot of strange ingredients you'll have to learn about. And, I've still never found it to be cost effective to buy a bunch of fresh items in general. And you gotta use them before they go bad or it's really expensive throwing produce out.

Good luck. Everyone could benefit from better diets in this modern western world.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I'm trying to cut back on pre-frozen stuff and get away from fried foods. I imagine that replacing things like chicken tenders, fries and frozen pizza with grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and homemade pizza is a lot lower in calories. Putting in more effort to eat a similar amount of healthy food sounds better than just eating less crappy food, which is why I've struggled to maintain a diet for years now.

My old roommate last night was telling me about his vegetarian diet and how it's hard to hit 2000 calories with that diet. I wouldn't do that because I don't like rabbit food, but I'll definitely try putting in more effort with cooking to cut calories. I've wanted to get better at cooking and I want to cut back on calories, so this seems like a great way to do both.

My wife is vegetarian. I do think it's easier for women just because they need less calories. But I certainly couldn't do it.

Going with homemade stuff will definitely be healthier. And it usually tastes better too.

My thought was that I don't do anything in the mornings already, so working 6-10 and sleeping in until 10 isn't that much different. I then realized that I'm losing like 3+ hours of being awake at night, since I have to go to bed at like 9 for work :laugh:
yeah it sounds reasonable on paper, but it sucks.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Actually, the hardest thing about eating or cooking healthy is SHOPPING healthy.

There are a lot of strange ingredients you'll have to learn about. And, I've still never found it to be cost effective to buy a bunch of fresh items in general. And you gotta use them before they go bad or it's really expensive throwing produce out.

Good luck. Everyone could benefit from better diets in this modern western world.
Yeah, I just shop for what I am going to eat every week. Spices and oil and stuff are all I really keep around in bulk. Otherwise I just keep a couple of cans of soup and a box of mac and cheese or something around as my emergency meal options if I need something else. The hardest part is deciding what I'm eating all week ahead of time. The online shopping with grocery pickup helps a ton too, since I don't impulse buy shit walking through the store :laugh:

I also meal prep for the week on Sundays anyway, so I don't cook during the week. I make a bunch of 2 or 3 things and just eat them all week. I absolutely hate having to come home and cook after work. I grew up on eating leftovers on a regular basis, but I know a lot of people refuse to eat leftovers more than like a day later. To me, if I can't get at least 3 meals out of something it's really not worth the effort of cooking it :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yeah, I just shop for what I am going to eat every week. Spices and oil and stuff are all I really keep around in bulk. Otherwise I just keep a couple of cans of soup and a box of mac and cheese or something around as my emergency meal options if I need something else. The hardest part is deciding what I'm eating all week ahead of time.

I also meal prep for the week on Sundays anyway, so I don't cook during the week. I make a bunch of 2 or 3 things and just eat them all week. I absolutely hate having to come home and cook after work. I grew up on eating leftovers on a regular basis, but I know a lot of people refuse to eat leftovers more than like a day later. To me, if I can't get at least 3 meals out of something it's really not worth the effort of cooking it :laugh:
Meal prepping is the way to go. I've been eating healthy all year because my wife meal prep and cook in bulk. I'll make a big batch of chicken breasts so I'll have 3-4 days worth of leftovers, same with potatoes or rice so I've already got my protein and my carbs all ready to go for my lunches. I just usually throw a salad together, add in some almonds and some fruit and I'm good to go. There's so many different recipes you can do with just chicken breasts that I have yet to get tired of it. Many we do in the crock pot.

Breakfast is usually something quick like eggs with some oatmeal and fruit. Dinners are often when we'll have fish or steak or venison, maybe homemade pizza. They're our cheat meals without really being cheat meals. I honestly don't even feel the need to have actual cheat meals since I enjoy everything I eat.

Yesterday I did have some cake just because I was at the in-laws and they served it without asking, not worth explaining for the 10th time that I don't eat sugar. I haven't had a drink all year though. Not that I was a big drinker to begin with.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Meal prepping is the way to go. I've been eating healthy all year because my wife meal prep and cook in bulk. I'll make a big batch of chicken breasts so I'll have 3-4 days worth of leftovers, same with potatoes or rice so I've already got my protein and my carbs all ready to go for my lunches. I just usually throw a salad together, add in some almonds and some fruit and I'm good to go. There's so many different recipes you can do with just chicken breasts that I have yet to get tired of it. Many we do in the crock pot.

Breakfast is usually something quick like eggs with some oatmeal and fruit. Dinners are often when we'll have fish or steak or venison, maybe homemade pizza. They're our cheat meals without really being cheat meals. I honestly don't even feel the need to have actual cheat meals since I enjoy everything I eat.

Yesterday I did have some cake just because I was at the in-laws and they served it without asking, not worth explaining for the 10th time that I don't eat sugar. I haven't had a drink all year though. Not that I was a big drinker to begin with.
yeah I don't really do cheat meals. Same reason, my actual meals are really good. My cheating is having a some chips or dessert or something. Which I've done way too much of lately :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think once the football season ends, using Sundays as a meal preparation day would be really useful and fun. Just spend a day cooking up lunches and dinners for the week while blasting music? That doesn't sound bad at all. I'm usually bored on Sundays anyway, so that's definitely an option for something to do.

My only concern with cooking food in bulk is that I'll overeat in my original meal. If I would just be cooking to make food for the week, I don't think that would be a problem. But if I'm cooking with the intention of having leftovers for dinner, I don't know if that would work too well.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
At least you've identified a weakness.

You'll have to divvy ALL your meals including the first into something like these
2-compartment-meal-prep-containers-Seperate-Different-types-of-food-with-ease-1.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think once the football season ends, using Sundays as a meal preparation day would be really useful and fun. Just spend a day cooking up lunches and dinners for the week while blasting music? That doesn't sound bad at all. I'm usually bored on Sundays anyway, so that's definitely an option for something to do.

My only concern with cooking food in bulk is that I'll overeat in my original meal. If I would just be cooking to make food for the week, I don't think that would be a problem. But if I'm cooking with the intention of having leftovers for dinner, I don't know if that would work too well.
I separate them in to the meal-prep containers before I eat that day's meal. I was doing the same thing before I started that :laugh: I don't necessarily put it into the actual container, but I divvy the same amount of it onto a plate/bowl at the same time. If I really want to do it right I use MyFitnessPal to know how many servings I should be getting out of what I cook based on the calories. That way I know how many containers I should be filling. That's more important for things like soup or chili that I actually just keep in to one big tupperware bowl and know how many "scoops" I should eat at a time.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

You don't need a bunch of strange ingredients unless you're following a specific diet. And you don't have to buy fresh everything. Fresh is usually better as far as taste goes, but the nutritional value between fresh and frozen isn't as far apart as folks think it is.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shopping is easy, go keto! Bags of veggies, weiners, eggs, bacon, cheese, chicken, fish, ground beef, sausages, drink AND cook with Avocado Oil, lots and lots of water (at least 3L a day minimum). If I can shop as the worlds laziest mofo anyone can. Don't forget your pink him salt.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Shopping is easy, go keto! Bags of veggies, weiners, eggs, bacon, cheese, chicken, fish, ground beef, sausages, drink AND cook with Avocado Oil, lots and lots of water (at least 3L a day minimum). If I can shop as the worlds laziest mofo anyone can. Don't forget your pink him salt.

Hope you get your cholesterol checked semi regularly.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I regret coming into work today, and what makes it worse is that I decided on doing 2 half days instead of 1 full day this week :laugh:

I'm starting my new year's resolution early, I want to start cooking more real food instead of just throwing frozen pre-cooked stuff into an oven. The problem is that I've never really done much more than throwing frozen pre-cooked stuff into an oven, so I'm interested to see how this goes. I may just learn how to make good grilled chicken and just make that every day, I certainly wouldn't get tired of it. Grilled chicken is probably my favorite food and I've never actually made it myself.

My New Year's resolution is quite boring in comparison :laugh:

Get a promotion at work, get a partner and go out more/stay out late more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad