Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele was a top 10 centre in the league for a couple years and he's still a decent #1C. I hope Perfetti can top that, but that's a big ask.

Perfetti is better now that Scheifele was, but there aren't a huge number if rungs above Scheifele.

The only centers with more points than Scheifele over the last three seasons...
  • McDavid
  • Draisaitl (played a lot of wing)
  • MacKinnon
  • Crosby
  • Malkin

Its definitely a big ask and like I said it will be very tough to do it but I see more tools then Mark has in his game.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Just a note on making this year's team. This is much more like the 2004/2005 lockout year. In normal circumstances, the following FORWARDS would be unlikely to be with the team:

- Kirby Dach (NHL regular)
- Dylan Cozens (very likely to make Sabres)
- Peyton Krebs (was with Vegas in bubble and projected to make team this year)
- Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall, they often stick as rookies)

You remove the above four, then all of a sudden Perfetti would be looked upon to drive offense. He, along with Alex Newhook, Connor McMichael, Philip Tomasino, Seth Jarvis, Jack Quinn and Hendrix Laperiere would all be battling for top 6 spots and regular PP time. Not bad for an 18 year old in a (predominately) 19 year old tournament.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just a note on making this year's team. This is much more like the 2004/2005 lockout year. In normal circumstances, the following FORWARDS would be unlikely to be with the team:

You remove the above four, then all of a sudden Perfetti would be looked upon to drive offense. He, along with Alex Newhook, Connor McMichael, Philip Tomasino, Seth Jarvis, Jack Quinn and Hendrix Laperiere would all be battling for top 6 spots and regular PP time. Not bad for an 18 year old in a (predominately) 19 year old tournament.

Those players still might not be a part of it if the NHL gets back up and running by Jan 1 2021

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

It’s one thing that is against Canada in WJC than any other team. That many of our top guys are with camps with NHL. Not to mention Laf so helps explain why Canada doesn’t dominate it more.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s one thing that is against Canada in WJC than any other team. That many of our top guys are with camps with NHL. Not to mention Laf so helps explain why Canada doesn’t dominate it more.
The same thing happens with the other top hockey nations. The USA, Finland, Sweden etc. all regularly lose their top 18 and 19 y/o to the NHL while they are still eligible for the WJC. Canada is actually in a better position than most other countries as it usually has more close to NHL ready players to choose from to fill up the roster.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The same thing happens with the other top hockey nations. The USA, Finland, Sweden etc. all regularly lose their top 18 and 19 y/o to the NHL while they are still eligible for the WJC. Canada is actually in a better position than most other countries as it usually has more close to NHL ready players to choose from to fill up the roster.
I’d argue that we still produce more guys who are top picks than those other nations. That means they are the guys more likely to go straight to nhl. When was the last time another country produced the top 2 players? This year the 3rd was German so US, Swedes fins wouldn’t have lost 2 guys off their squads.
That means we lose our best 2 other countries only lose their best so have 2nd best for tourney.
4 of the top 10 players are Canadian. No other country has more than 1 in top 10.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’d argue that we still produce more guys who are top picks than those other nations. That means they are the guys more likely to go straight to nhl. When was the last time another country produced the top 2 players? This year the 3rd was German so US, Swedes fins wouldn’t have lost 2 guys off their squads.
This year was the 1st time since 2015 when McDavid was picked that the 1st OA was a Canadian. And like I said Canada usually has a bigger group of players close to NHL ready to choose from when they lose their top couple players to the NHL.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Do we know when the next inter-squad game is?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All players and staff are subject to a mandatory 2 week quarantine. So we won't be seeing any additional practicing/games until atleast December 8.

I have no idea how this impacts Cole's chances as this effectively ends the camp/tryout. I believe they will have to name a team and go into the Edmonton bubble soon after the quarantine ends.

Last edited:

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
My hopes for Perfetti are that he can play centre effectively and also drive possession well.

Based on the last couple of games against a very talented pier group all be it in rusty, choppy, play I see some very encouraging signs. His board play, leverage, and shielding are all better than I expected considering his size and lack of physical maturity. He can already cycle well. If you combine those skills with his ability to make quick reads and pass well you have the make up of a player with very good puck security.

Defensively I like what I see he feels that part of the game well and is engaged. When he is F3 on the attack he is very good at getting back and providing proper support. He is positionally aware in the neutral zone and can disrupt routes and create turnovers off his reads. When he is F1 and last man back I love how he reads the play. If the puck is being contested he delays a bit for the possible counter attack. When he is needed to hustle all the way back he does. It’s subtle but when you isolate on him he is constantly reading and reacting in all three zones. Too many elite scorers turn their brain off and catch their breath a bit while defending. Cole is always trying to get the puck back. He is better at this than I expected. This paragraph provides my reasons I think he is suited to play center.

He is very good at both zone exits and entries. He doesn’t have the blinding speed but he just understands and reads the play. He is good at using all the pieces on the chessboard to break down defensive schemes and defensive pressure in all zones.

His offensive ability will take care of itself because That is where his elite gifts lie. It’s the other stuff I am pleasantly surprised about. I think he is more than a scorer I see the raw elements of a possession driver and a guy that will make others around him better.

Without knowing who you were talking about, I would say by your description he possesses a lot of similar attributes as Joe Sakic. Joe Sakic lite, to that I say YES PLEASE!!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Without knowing who you were talking about, I would say by your description he possesses a lot of similar attributes as Joe Sakic. Joe Sakic lite, to that I say YES PLEASE!!

Interesting comparable both similar size and Sakic wasn't a burner either. In what feels like another life time I lived in PA when Joe was playing for Swift Current and saw him a few times in his draft +1 season when he was shredding the WHL. Yes if Cole could be a lite version of Joe then that would be way beyond my expectations but very welcomed.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I dug up this player review from one of the publications from pre-draft from 2014. Interesting some of the overlap with Cole Pefetti as far as key Attributes. Funny thing is Point was only 5'10" 166 when he was drafted.

Skill: Intelligent playmaker with
gamebreaking offensive abilities. Can start
and finish plays effectively.

Scouting Report:
Point is a player who if it were not for his
diminutive frame could be compared with
Sam Reinhart at the top of this draft. He is
full of heart and his hockey IQ is off the
charts. He is the type of player coach’s
dream about having on their team because
he plays an extremely committed brand of
hockey even though his skill level affords
him opportunities to take liberties at times.

Point makes his teammates better through
excellent puck management skills. He has
elite vision and reactions with the puck and
is a strong goal scorer on top of that.

Scout: “He is the heart
and soul of every team he plays on. He
can be easy to write off because of size but
he packs a punch and makes an impact in
every game”

Scout: “Has quick feet. Able
to change direction very quickly to create
offense. Has trouble with mobile and
patient defenders. Don't think he has the
skating speed to be an effective player at
the next level”.

NHL Potential: 2nd-3rd line option who
can kill penalties and contribute offense.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I dug up this player review from one of the publications from pre-draft from 2014. Interesting some of the overlap with Cole Pefetti as far as key Attributes. Funny thing is Point was only 5'10" 166 when he was drafted.

Scouting Report:

every game”

the next level”.

Man did they get that one wrong.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Scouting Report:

every game”

the next level”.

TBL seems to be very good at devolpings undersized or smallers prospects/nhlers.....point, gourde, marchessault, tj are some examples.

our weakness seems to be developing top 6 c talent. other than scheifele we have not developed any....some of that may be due to prospects not being good enough, but may be a flaw with our coaching/development.

i doubt perfetti will be putting up production llike point.

also hate these scouting reports sometimes lol, they are all cookie cutter shit and basically regurgitated every year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
TBL seems to be very good at devolpings undersized or smallers prospects/nhlers.....point, gourde, marchessault, tj are some examples.

our weakness seems to be developing top 6 c talent. other than scheifele we have not developed any....some of that may be due to prospects not being good enough, but may be a flaw with our coaching/development.

i doubt perfetti will be putting up production llike point.

also hate these scouting reports sometimes lol, they are all cookie cutter shit and basically regurgitated every year.

They let their players play their own game in the bottom 6 and work their way up. They also start their natural centers at center. Two things Maurice seems incapable of doing.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They let their players play their own game in the bottom 6 and work their way up. They also start their natural centers at center. Two things Maurice seems incapable of doing.
or the players just aren't good enough. roslovic for instance has shown 0 to be given a permanent top 6 role. Lowry had his chance in the top 6 did nothing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
or the players just aren't good enough. roslovic for instance has shown 0 to be given a permanent top 6 role. Lowry had his chance in the top 6 did nothing.

Fair enough. My point also was that our players who play in the bottom 6 are type casted and forced to play a certain way to stay in the lineup. Tampa doesn't do similarly with their players in the bottom 6.

That is where I see a lot of offensive development stall on this team. We seem to do a good job developing our forwards until they get to the NHL. Once they get to the NHL if their isn't a top 6 spot then forward needs to reinvent themselves as a checker.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Fair enough. My point also was that our players who play in the bottom 6 are type casted and forced to play a certain way to stay in the lineup. Tampa doesn't do similarly with their players in the bottom 6.

That is where I see a lot of offensive development stall on this team. We seem to do a good job developing our forwards until they get to the NHL. Once they get to the NHL if their isn't a top 6 spot then forward needs to reinvent themselves as a checker.
maybe. all i know is roslovic has been given ample opportunity in the top 6 the past 2 years and has not produced at all. lowry doesn't can't score either.

whoever plays on lowry's line i will say get pigeon holed to a defensive role though. which is fine, i don't think there's 1 sole way to build a team.

fact is, we've given guys like roslovic and lowry top 6 shots, and they cant produce.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
maybe. all i know is roslovic has been given ample opportunity in the top 6 the past 2 years and has not produced at all. lowry doesn't can't score either.

whoever plays on lowry's line i will say get pigeon holed to a defensive role though. which is fine, i don't think there's 1 sole way to build a team.

fact is, we've given guys like roslovic and lowry top 6 shots, and they cant produce.

Well Lowry doesn't produce much at all period so no real surprise he can't produce in the top 6.

With Roslovic is it because he isn't talented enough or is it because he's spent a lot of time in a defensive role that doesn't place any emphasis on being creative/developing a players offensive game.

Just food for thought, if you aren't practicing or developing your offensive game for a couple of seasons to focus on defense do you think its realistic to just be able to turn it back on when moved into the top 6? I think that is the issue many of our bottom 6 players have when getting spot duty in the top 6. They are used to defend first, second and third but then go to lines whos roles are to produce offense first.

To me if you have visions of a player being able to play a skilled role you need to have a place for them to develop those skills on your NHL team. That is where the 3A 3B bottom 6 idea comes from. Have a line that allows creativity and offense and then have your Lowry checking line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well Lowry doesn't produce much at all period so no real surprise he can't produce in the top 6.

With Roslovic is it because he isn't talented enough or is it because he's spent a lot of time in a defensive role that doesn't place any emphasis on being creative/developing a players offensive game.

Just food for thought, if you aren't practicing or developing your offensive game for a couple of seasons to focus on defense do you think its realistic to just be able to turn it back on when moved into the top 6? I think that is the issue many of our bottom 6 players have when getting spot duty in the top 6. They are used to defend first, second and third but then go to lines whos roles are to produce offense first.

To me if you have visions of a player being able to play a skilled role you need to have a place for them to develop those skills on your NHL team. That is where the 3A 3B bottom 6 idea comes from. Have a line that allows creativity and offense and then have your Lowry checking line.

just because you're on a defensive line it doesn't mean you never use your offense. you think roslovic just forgot offense because he spent a year playing on the 3rd line? really? Copp's and Lowry's lines actually tilts the ice positively interms of shot and chance share so comparatively, they are spending more time producing shots rather than against.

again, he's been given ample opportunity in top 6 last 2 seasons, plays the pp. idk if it's due to maurice, or he just isn't good enough, probably a mix of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad