Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA Pick - signed ELC 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Perfetti has been one of the better forwards in the two scrimmages, but he doesn't play a fast, physical, pressure game that many coaches prefer. What he does well is anticipate play extremely well, so he has the puck a lot (especially for a winger), and he makes very good plays with the puck. I think he's in tough to make a very good team, but his play has been very encouraging.

I am curious as to how many players get pulled out of this camp if NHL training camps get underway in mid December.

Dach, Byram and Cozens seem like good bets to go to their NHL teams.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Byfield still leaves me wanting much more everytime he's on the ice. Terrific physical tools and hands but he juat doesn't seem to accomplish all that much out there.

I said pre draft that I always seemed to get a Chris Stewart type vibe from him. Blessed with great physical tools but just leaves you wanting/expecting more.

Is it consistency, drive, level of compete, IQ, character flaw? Who knows. Hopefully he can put it all together and deliver on his immense upside.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I said pre draft that I always seemed to get a Chris Stewart type vibe from him. Blessed with great physical tools but just leaves you wanting/expecting more.

Is it consistency, drive, level of compete, IQ, character flaw? Who knows. Hopefully he can put it all together and deliver on his immense upside.

I just haven't seen a lot in terms of high end hockey IQ. I have seen him about 15 plus times now and not once have I been wowed by him.

I can't deny the skating and individual talent but he hasn't learned how to use it against top Echelon Competition. I also hope he puts it together as he has the talent to be a real game breaker.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

character is not an issue from everything I hear he’s is a good kid that puts in the work. Camps just getting going so I think we have to let it play out a bit. That being said I wasn’t joking when I used Bogosian as a comp. Zach dominated the OHL in his draft year because he was physically overwhelming and very skilled. He went 2nd overall in the draft based on the tools and upside.

Reactions: mazmin and surixon

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread is about Cole P as a player, this is not a thread to debate race or minorities in hockey. Stay on topic please, only friendly warning you will receive.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Rewstching the game and one thing that impressed me was his ability to rub out and contain Dach along the walls on more then one occasion. This gives me confidence that he will be able to handle the physical responsibilities of the center position in the NHL as he continues to develop.

His skating is also a lot better then last year. He is able to fully keep up with the play as well as push the pace when need be. I get that this was an abnormal pffseason but if these are the gains he s made in one year just think of how much more polished his stride will be in another couple or years.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This year is tough for him. There are so many older guys playing that it’s harder to make the team, but, what does this say if if he can’t make the team. Hard to rise out of that and be the superstar this team needs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This year is tough for him. There are so many older guys playing that it’s harder to make the team, but, what does this say if if he can’t make the team. Hard to rise out of that and be the superstar this team needs.

It doesn't say anything imo. Plenty of players have been passed over from the WJC only to go on to have star like careers, our own Kyle Conner is one such example. Also Perfetti would be eligible next season as well if he didn't make this team so its not like this is his last chance.

Also I think its premature to say he is on the outside looking in at this point anyhow. I actually think given how he has been used he is getting a look at seeing what he can do as a line driver playing with other younger players against older competition. I would say he's getting a bigger push then a number of players like Zary who have been put in complimentary roles with the star player. Anyone is going to look good with Dach the way he is playing but to look good playing with younger players against that competition is much harder and imo Perfetti has been quite good at playing a very responsible game as the driver of his line against very tough competition to date. We are still very early in camp and I expect they will switch things up in another week or two and then we will get a pretty good idea of how the team will look.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It doesn't say anything imo. Plenty of players have been passed over from the WJC only to go on to have star like careers, our own Kyle Conner is one such example. Also Perfetti would be eligible next season as well if he didn't make this team so its not like this is his last chance.

Also I think its premature to say he is on the outside looking in at this point anyhow. I actually think given how he has been used he is getting a look at seeing what he can do as a line driver playing with other younger players against older competition. I would say he's getting a bigger push then a number of players like Zary who have been put in complimentary roles with the star player. Anyone is going to look good with Dach the way he is playing but to look good playing with younger players against that competition is much harder and imo Perfetti has been quite good at playing a very responsible game as the driver of his line against very tough competition to date. We are still very early in camp and I expect they will switch things up in another week or two and then we will get a pretty good idea of how the team will look.
KC is hardly a star. On our discussion board he’s only our 3rd best forward.
Ehlers/Laine >>>>>>>>>>>>?>>>>>>> Connor. That’s on our team league wide I imagine he drops lower. Hardly the player we need Perfetti to be if we want to extend our window.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
KC is hardly a star. On our discussion board he’s only our 3rd best forward.
Ehlers/Laine >>>>>>>>>>>>?>>>>>>> Connor. That’s on our team league wide I imagine he drops lower. Hardly the player we need Perfetti to be if we want to extend our window.

Well I expect Perfetti to be better than Conner it was just an example of a great player who got passed over and is having a strong career to date. Cory Perry is another player who couldn't crack team Canada until his final year of eligibility. His career turned out just fine.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well I expect Perfetti to be better than Conner it was just an example of a great player who got passed over and is having a strong career to date. Cory Perry is another player who couldn't crack team Canada until his final year of eligibility. His career turned out just fine.
He needs to be better than Ehlers for us to make noise.
Yep there are always exceptions but there are far fewer stars who didn’t make their wjc teams.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He needs to be better than Ehlers for us to make noise.

We will just have to wait and see. We are a fee years away from us getting an answer here. I personally see him having a higher ceiling then Scheifele, it will tough for him to get to that level though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We will just have to wait and see. We are a fee years away from us getting an answer here. I personally see him having a higher ceiling then Scheifele, it will tough for him to get to that level though.
Where do you rank our guys in terms of ceilings?
Laine Perfetti Schief Ehlers kfc?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Where do you rank our guys in terms of ceilings?
Laine Perfetti Schief Ehlers kfc?

Well it isn't just a question of ceilings its also a question of likelihood of reaching them but here it goes.
Perfetti

Laine/Scheifele

Ehelers/Conner

Perfetti has the top ceiling for me. He has elite skill and intelligence and his skating and physical development is catching up. could be a Braydon Point caliber C if things go well for him. I think its far too soon to attach a probability to his chances.

Scheifele is at his ceiling. A ppg center that when he wants to can be an impact play driver and league average defensive player.

Ehlers is also close to his ceiling as an impact play driving winger who is good for 65 to 75 points depending on pp usage.

Conner is a great player in the offensive zone but for him to truly be an elite player he is going to need to learn how to play without the puck in the nz and defensive end. Those skills can be learned with good coaching and dedication. I would say chances are we see improvement there. So I would say Conner is close to his offensive ceiling but has a ways to go to hit his overall ceiling as a player.

That brings us to Laine. He has the all world shot and he is a smart player with good hands and is an underrated playmaker. The biggest problem is that like Conner there are a lot of holes in his game but unlike Conner he isnt as polished offensively. So the fact he scores as well as he does while being as unpolished would indicate he has the potential to be special if he puts it all together and can be a hybrid power/finesse forward. The issue with him is that his development has been slow so I would peg the probability of him hitting his ceiling as fairly low at this point. It's looking more and more like he is a 40g 40a winger with deficiencies in his game then the 45 to 50 goal, 95 point superstar winger I thought he could be when drafted.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Well it isn't just a question of ceilings its also a question of likelihood of reaching them but here it goes.
Perfetti

Laine/Scheifele

Ehelers/Conner

Perfetti has the top ceiling for me. He has elite skill and intelligence and his skating and physical development is catching up. could be a Braydon Point caliber C if things go well for him. I think its far too soon to attach a probability to his chances.

Scheifele is at his ceiling. A ppg center that when he wants to can be an impact play driver and league average defensive player.

Ehlers is also close to his ceiling as an impact play driving winger who is good for 65 to 75 points depending on pp usage.

Conner is a great player in the offensive zone but for him to truly be an elite player he is going to need to learn how to play without the puck in the nz and defensive end. Those skills can be learned with good coaching and dedication. I would say chances are we see improvement there. So I would say Conner is close to his offensive ceiling but has a ways to go to hit his overall ceiling as a player.

That brings us to Laine. He has the all world shot and he is a smart player with good hands and is an underrated playmaker. The biggest problem is that like Conner there are a lot of holes in his game but unlike Conner he isnt as polished offensively. So the fact he scores as well as he does while being as unpolished would indicate he has the potential to be special if he puts it all together and can be a hybrid power/finesse forward. The issue with him is that his development has been slow so I would peg the probability of him hitting his ceiling as fairly low at this point. It's looking more and more like he is a 40g 40a winger with deficiencies in his game then the 45 to 50 goal, 95 point superstar winger I thought he could be when drafted.

I’m right there with ya. He will be the jets 2.0 best player.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Perfetti

Laine/Scheifele

Ehelers/Conner

Scheifele was a top 10 centre in the league for a couple years and he's still a decent #1C. I hope Perfetti can top that, but that's a big ask.

Perfetti is better now that Scheifele was, but there aren't a huge number if rungs above Scheifele.

The only centers with more points than Scheifele over the last three seasons...
  • McDavid
  • Draisaitl (played a lot of wing)
  • MacKinnon
  • Crosby
  • Malkin

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Connor scored 38 goals last season and had 73 points in 71 games. I would love if Perfetti put those kinds of numbers up .

My hopes for Perfetti are that he can play centre effectively and also drive possession well.

Based on the last couple of games against a very talented pier group all be it in rusty, choppy, play I see some very encouraging signs. His board play, leverage, and shielding are all better than I expected considering his size and lack of physical maturity. He can already cycle well. If you combine those skills with his ability to make quick reads and pass well you have the make up of a player with very good puck security.

Defensively I like what I see he feels that part of the game well and is engaged. When he is F3 on the attack he is very good at getting back and providing proper support. He is positionally aware in the neutral zone and can disrupt routes and create turnovers off his reads. When he is F1 and last man back I love how he reads the play. If the puck is being contested he delays a bit for the possible counter attack. When he is needed to hustle all the way back he does. It’s subtle but when you isolate on him he is constantly reading and reacting in all three zones. Too many elite scorers turn their brain off and catch their breath a bit while defending. Cole is always trying to get the puck back. He is better at this than I expected. This paragraph provides my reasons I think he is suited to play center.

He is very good at both zone exits and entries. He doesn’t have the blinding speed but he just understands and reads the play. He is good at using all the pieces on the chessboard to break down defensive schemes and defensive pressure in all zones.

His offensive ability will take care of itself because That is where his elite gifts lie. It’s the other stuff I am pleasantly surprised about. I think he is more than a scorer I see the raw elements of a possession driver and a guy that will make others around him better.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My hopes for Perfetti are that he can play centre effectively and also drive possession well.

Based on the last couple of games against a very talented pier group all be it in rusty, choppy, play I see some very encouraging signs. His board play, leverage, and shielding are all better than I expected considering his size and lack of physical maturity. He can already cycle well. If you combine those skills with his ability to make quick reads and pass well you have the make up of a player with very good puck security.

Defensively I like what I see he feels that part of the game well and is engaged. When he is F3 on the attack he is very good at getting back and providing proper support. He is positionally aware in the neutral zone and can disrupt routes and create turnovers off his reads. When he is F1 and last man back I love how he reads the play. If the puck is being contested he delays a bit for the possible counter attack. When he is needed to hustle all the way back he does. It’s subtle but when you isolate on hm he is constantly reading and reacting in all three zones. Too many elite scorers turn their brain off and catch their breath a bit while defending. Cole is always reading and reacting trying to get the puck back. He is better at this than I expected. This last paragraph leads me to think he is suited to play centre.

He is very good at both zone exits and entries. He doesn’t have the blinding speed but he just understands and reads the play. He is good at using all the pieces on the chessboard to break down defensive schemes and defensive pressure in all zones.

His offensive ability will take care of itself because That is where his elite gifts lie. It’s the other stuff I am pleasantly surprised about. I think he is more than a scorer I see the raw elements of a possession driver and a guy that will make others around him better.

If I could give this post 10 likes I would. He is already much better at doing all the little things well that coaches love then I was expecting. Given his reads, timing and strength i also see a player that has all the tools and the brain to be a very strong all around center in the NHL if he keeps developing well.

He says he modles his game off of Point's and I can see some of those elements in his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad