Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's like my gf.

"Babe, I can drive if you're tired."
"Ok, I'll pull over."
"No no, it's ok you're driving now."

FAKE PLATITUDES.

The one that I hate the most is when I ask her where she wants to eat.

She always says that she doesn't care. That I should pick.

I suggest somewhere and she says no, not there.

Rinse and repeat five times or more.

I wish that she would not expect me to guess the place that she had in mind in the first place.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The one that I hate the most is when I ask her where she wants to eat.

She always says that she doesn't care. That I should pick.

I suggest somewhere and she says no, not there.

Rinse and repeat five times or more.

I wish that she would not expect me to guess the place that she had in mind in the first place.
I want to say maybe 80-90% of our arguments are because I won’t pick where to eat, like where I pick matters, what she really wants me to do is give her options because she can’t figure it out and my “bad suggestions” will narrow it down.

Sushi? No - she had that for lunch while she’s WFH.
Mexican? No - she had that with her girlfriend’s from work that she met up with for a park lunch/date.
Nando’s? No - She doesn’t want to eat what they have.

Then I suggest sushi again and she says yes. Every f***ing time, not sushi, but this argument. I am pretty simple and boring with my eating habits, she’s a “foodie” which makes it worse trying to figure out dinner, because apparently we have to eat from the same place and can’t order from different places because the food won’t come on time and I eat slow and if hers comes, I will end up eating alone - again, I don’t care.

But you know, I love her and all that bs.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I want to say maybe 80-90% of our arguments are because I won’t pick where to eat, like where I pick matters, what she really wants me to do is give her options because she can’t figure it out and my “bad suggestions” will narrow it down.

Mexican? No - she had that with her girlfriend’s from work that she met up with for a park lunch/date.

Then I suggest sushi again and she says yes. Every f***ing time, not sushi, but this argument. I am pretty simple and boring with my eating habits, she’s a “foodie” which makes it worse trying to figure out dinner, because apparently we have to eat from the same place and can’t order from different places because the food won’t come on time and I eat slow and if hers comes, I will end up eating alone - again, I don’t care.

I just don't get why you can't read her mind like her best girlfriend can.

You need to work on that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just don't get why you can't read her mind like her best girlfriend can.

You need to work on that.
Obviously mate. We are trying to plan a wedding during COVID times.

Her “I’d like you to help me decide on things and not be a passenger babe, not like *her friend*’s wedding where *her friend’s husband* didn’t pick anything or help.”

Me “Ok, let’s just do that elopement package you brought up. I will get the best photographer and videographer at the best venue we can get next year and we’ll do maybe 20 people max, less if we can manage without messing with our ‘bubble.’ ”

Her “Ok, I love that idea, thank you!”

3 days later.

Her “I want an actual wedding now, can you give me a list of 20 people you want to invite and I will come up with mine and should we do afternoon or evening.........”

THEN WHY THE f*** DID YOU ASK ME ANYTHING WOMAN?

She calls me indecisive.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Her “I’d like you to help me decide on things and not be a passenger babe, not like *her friend*’s wedding where *her friend’s husband* didn’t pick anything or help.”

Me “Ok, let’s just do that elopement package you brought up. I will get the best photographer and videographer at the best venue we can get next year and we’ll do maybe 20 people max, less if we can manage without messing with our ‘bubble.’ ”

3 days later.

Her “I want an actual wedding now, can you give me a list of 20 people you want to invite and I will come up with mine and should we do afternoon or evening.........”

She calls me indecisive.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

3 days later.

She calls me indecisive.

Are there any men who actually enjoy or even want to plan a wedding? I mean there are some, I am sure. But most?

I am convinced that they know this. And it is simply yet another test. A big one. But one of many tests. I mean if you care enough to sit through hours of choosing wedding invitations that all look the same, and months of similar, you must really love her, right? Slay a dragon? That's nothing compared to spending weeks of boredom deciding who can sit at what table.

Or they get amusement from watching us squirm. That part I understand.

Did I mention that I have been engaged for 29 years now, this past June?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are there any men who actually enjoy or even want to plan a wedding? I mean there are some, I am sure. But most?

I am convinced that they know this. And it is simply yet another test. A big one. But one of many tests. I mean if you care enough to sit through hours of choosing wedding invitations that all look the same, and months of similar, you must really love her, right? Slay a dragon? That's nothing compared to spending weeks of boredom deciding who can sit at what table.

Or they get amusement from watching us squirm. That part I understand.

Did I mention that I have been engaged for 29 years now, this past June?
Lol, I actually do want to pick my own suit and I do have input on my wedding band as well as the venue (sort of, well no not really, who are we kidding). I don’t even have a choice in the food.

As far as I know, I just need to “pretend” like I am giving some input and just show up, whenever she decides on everything. Her and her gaggle.

When we told my parents...

My dad - “Finally, I don’t have to be embarrassed saying my eldest just has a girl friend.” Really? Wanker why don’t you give our your personal info to a fishing scam again.

Reactions: EightyOne

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lol, I actually do want to pick my own suit and I do have input on my wedding band as well as the venue (sort of, well no not really, who are we kidding). I don’t even have a choice in the food.

As far as I know, I just need to “pretend” like I am giving some input and just show up, whenever she decides on everything. Her and her gaggle.

When we told my parents...

My dad - “Finally, I don’t have to be embarrassed saying my eldest just has a girl friend.” Really? Wanker why don’t you give our your personal info to a fishing scam again.

And the added bonus:

You will be in debt paying for this for the next 20 years.

My present to the happy couple:

Are Millennials Abandoning the Traditional White Wedding?

Although she may toss you phone at you if you show her.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And the added bonus:

You will be in debt paying for this for the next 20 years.

My present to the happy couple:

Are Millennials Abandoning the Traditional White Wedding?

Although she may toss you phone at you if you show her.

My friend went Tofino in BC (beautiful little tourist town, basically Canada’s only real surf beaches) got married on the beach with their folks and a couple close people.

They had to pay for the celebrant and everyone paid for their accommodation for a nice weekend away. So it cost them a weekend getaway.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
My friend went Tofino in BC (beautiful little tourist town, basically Canada’s only real surf beaches) got married on the beach with their folks and a couple close people.

They had to pay for the celebrant and everyone paid for their accommodation for a nice weekend away. So it cost them a weekend getaway.

We have talked about what we will finally do. It will be 30 years in June after all.

Go to get a license at the City County Building. Go on a very long trip, three weeks to a month. Then have a dinner when we get back, for 30 or 40 friends. We talked about Gaucho Parilla.

Neither of us likes making a big deal over things.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Man, I love night driving. :laugh: I guess it's just years of having to drive from Chicago to PA after my sister got off 2nd shift.

The lonelier the highway, the better IMO.

Hard same! If I've - pre-pandemic, anyway - got a long drive ahead, I absolutely prefer to do the bulk of it at night. Less traffic, usually peaceful, a great time to take in podcasts or music or nothing at all.

Sometimes the greatest thing is slotting in behind a semi on a tricky stretch, even. My dad had major surgery a few years back, and it was soothing af to have a semi to follow most of the way home at night after an afternoon/evening helping distract him from the rehab.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Tofino at the beach is literally what I told her I wanted to do, just her and I and the photographer and the person to make it all official.

Every now and then, she’ll just get frustrated at the planning and be like “We should just do the Tofino thing right? No, no...we deserve more.”

NO...I don’t deserve more, I deserve exactly that!

We were like 100% on the same page, she was going to pop out that IUD thing and we’d start trying for my demon spawn, but now she’s like let’s do the wedding.

Then she’s like it shouldn’t matter if we’re married or not to have kids right? We should just do it?

I think she likes to keep me in a constant state of confusion so I don’t figure things out.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Money wise we’re fine, it’s more or less the fact that I don’t really care and I thought she didn’t either, until she started to and now I have to care.

As it goes...

Your scaring me.

We are fine as well financially. We could easily do the big wedding. She has always said that she didn't want it. I personally would hate it. It just isn't me.

If she changed her mind I would acquiesce to make her happy, but would be dying inside the entire time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let me just end this relationship talk with one more thing...

With this one, nothing ever good comes after this statement, I’ve learned - “Babe, you love me right?”

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Your scaring me.

We are fine as well financially. We could easily do the big wedding. She has always said that she didn't want it. I personally would hate it. It just isn't me.

If she changed her mind I would acquiesce to make her happy, but would be dying inside the entire time.
We have become the Jagr during the Gen X years.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Question for the HR folks that post on HF, I think @Gurglesons is in this category. I applied for a position in DC that I didn't meet the years of experience and educational requirements for (wanted a PhD with 5 years of experience, I'm at a Master's with 3 years of experience), but I did hear back from them and had an interview with someone from their hiring department. They mentioned a few times in the interview that I didn't hit the educational requirements, but they were impressed because my work experience was extremely related to what they wanted. I confidently said I was a 8 or 9 out of 10 on the somewhat niche software that they were looking for experience with for the position, which is a true statement. They mentioned they would submit my "scorecard" to the hiring manager and the hiring manager would decide if they wanted to go forward with an interview.

My question is this, will the hiring manager actually care whether I have a PhD and 5 years of work experience or not, or is that just a HR hurdle that I've already gone through? The hiring person I talked to also told me to apply to other positions I may see that I like, which makes me think he really likes my resume but doesn't think I'm qualified for this position, but that may be me reading too much into this.

I find these requirements mean very little and can be massaged at will to fit who they think will be best/whatever higher up's nephew needs a job. Only really discourages the clearly unqualified from wasting their time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

My girl is the opposite where she'll get into a groove and eat the same damn thing for like 3 weeks straight. If I see Korean fried chicken again in this calendar year, something's going out the window.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
That's the female equivalent of a guy saying "If you loved me, you'd....." to get them to do things in bed.

Danger zone.....A woman can always find another man, therefore, they don't need to do any extra effort in bed. They'll move on and you'll be standing there by yourself.

#LifeFacts

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My girlfriend was surprisingly fine with whatever restaurant I'd pick. I think it's mostly because she was new to Pittsburgh and didn't know any places.

Though this one time we did go to Everyday Noodles in Squirrel Hill... She really struggled with the noodles and chopsticks and wasn't too thrilled with me. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I remember that feeling really well. First time I had to use chopsticks, I had just moved to Chicago and one of the students in my dorm invited me out to Chinatown for dim sum. I just got laughed until I could figure out how to use them.

Now? I use them better than my GF who's Taiwanese. :laugh:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I was kind of lucky in that regard. Up front I told her I was more than happy to be involved from a groomistic point of view, but let's not pretend anyone gives a tuxedo-bedecked **** about the groom at a wedding so you go with what you want and I promise to speak up if I have any moral objections.

"Okay...can you handle the bartender and booze?" "I sure can!"

Other than that I went into our wedding day with the strongest neck muscles in my life thanks to all the emphatic nodding. It's also my proud boast that on the day we got married, all we still owed was $500 to the photographer and that was because he wouldn't allow us to pay him the final fee until the physical pictures were done and in our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->