Prospect Info: Cole Fonstad (June 1st 2020: Rights expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This kid is skilled as hell.

How skilled is hell specifically? ahaha. But seriously. Is he THAT skilled? I obviously see good skill but do you think he has real top 6 upside? I see middle 6 personally but I definitely don't watch him enough. Loving what he's doing. Out of our 3 2018 CHL picks I have the most hope with him though I see his ceiling as the lowest out of the 3. If McShane can somehow work on the skating enough I think he could be something but it seems almost insurmountable. Mind you I've seen him on breakaways and he definitely is not fast but I'm starting to wonder how much it could really hamper him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How skilled is hell specifically? ahaha. But seriously. Is he THAT skilled? I obviously see good skill but do you think he has real top 6 upside? I see middle 6 personally but I definitely don't watch him enough. Loving what he's doing. Out of our 3 2018 CHL picks I have the most hope with him though I see his ceiling as the lowest out of the 3. If McShane can somehow work on the skating enough I think he could be something but it seems almost insurmountable. Mind you I've seen him on breakaways and he definitely is not fast but I'm starting to wonder how much it could really hamper him.
McShane won't make it, there's just no way he develops enough. Hillis has a good hockey head, but Fonstad can match him there and he's a better shooter and a better skater. Obviously he's tinier, but I'm not worried about Fonstad there, he keeps skating and he hustles hard.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
McShane won't make it, there's just no way he develops enough. Hillis has a good hockey head, but Fonstad can match him there and he's a better shooter and a better skater. Obviously he's tinier, but I'm not worried about Fonstad there, he keeps skating and he hustles hard.

Is he kind of like a bit smarter but not as fast Ylonen? My references are too habcentric I know.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Is he kind of like a bit smarter but not as fast Ylonen? My references are too habcentric I know.
Fonstad ? Not nearly as skilled, but much more effective. He does all the little thing right, angle of his stick, body angle, head fakes, etc. And he's always thinking, mostly offense, something that will be the downfall of Ylonen.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I think that when Mrb1p says skills he means athletism and natural gift.

Because when he says "angle of his stick, body angle, head fakes, etc." that registers as skills in my book. Hockey iq is reading the developing game to me, than you use your skills accordingly.

Reactions: Acadien86

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Fonstad ? Not nearly as skilled, but much more effective. He does all the little thing right, angle of his stick, body angle, head fakes, etc. And he's always thinking, mostly offense, something that will be the downfall of Ylonen.

xzef0ak.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think that when Mrb1p says skills he means athletism and natural gift.

Because when he says "angle of his stick, body angle, head fakes, etc." that registers as skills in my book. Hockey iq is reading the developing game to me, than you use your skills accordingly.

Skills are shooting power, shooting accuracy, passing accuracy, puck control, speed. Skills.

The rest is entirely dependant on your surroundings, if you're smart, if you know what youre doing. You could also use it instinctively. A lot of players don't actually use these kind of moves in the right situation. It's an understanding of the game thing.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
My opinion of Olofsson hasnt changed?

We argued because I said he had to work on his offense, big time. You seemed to strongly disagree with me. One of your quotes about him (can be find in the Olofsson thread):

I don't see it either, because he just doesnt play that way, but his skillset is much better than Danault, in line with guys like ROR or other lower end 2cs. He's just that kind of player that never really gets it, kinda like Armia.

You're losing me here, just like Ylonen is "losing" you.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We argued because I said he had to work on his offense, big time. You seemed to strongly disagree with me. One of your quotes about him (can be find in the Olofsson thread):

You're losing me here, just like Ylonen is "losing" you.
What exactly in this statement above makes you say "he doesn't have to work on his offense" ? I said he had a good skillset, just like Ylonen, but that he'll never get it, like Armia... And somehow, you understood this as in "he doesn't need to work on his offense" ?

Edit: I think you got lost because I said he was tracking well, when you said he was busting, there's a huge spectrum between busting and being a good offensive player, Olofsson will fall between that for sure, most likely in the 3rd/4th line role.

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
What exactly in this statement above makes you say "he doesn't have to work on his offense" ? I said he had a good skillset, just like Ylonen, but that he'll never get it, like Armia... And somehow, you understood this as in "he doesn't need to work on his offense" ?

Edit: I think you got lost because I said he was tracking well, when you said he was busting, there's a huge spectrum between busting and being a good offensive player, Olofsson will fall between that for sure, most likely in the 3rd/4th line role.

I never said he was busting, I made sure to mention he was too young to be considered a bust. I said he was not having a good season while you said he was doing great. A week after, he could fall in the category of prospect who will "lose" you. That comment caught my eye is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad