Prospect Info: Cole Fonstad (June 1st 2020: Rights expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The point to mention his size along his skating ability is that being a good skater a 6'5 is good enough to make it to the NHL, but at 5'10 not really.
About your comparisons, all those are more multi-dimensional, Fonstad is going to be a one-dimensional playmaker at the NHL level. Gallagher shot is elite and his feistiness is many steps higher than the average NHLer which makes him an effective and special player. Domi was despite his size a multidimensional true first round talent, feisty and skilled. Hudon is the fairest comparison, has similar skating to Fonstad imo, and was used at the point on PP in the Q not only because he was the go-to setup guy but because his point shot was a threat that was used as well, and he managed to make team Canada at 18 years old because of his 2-way game where he was planned to play a defensive role (got injured). Hudon had all this going for him but to me, he is still a pretty fringe NHLer, he seems like he will be able to stick around as 3rd liner, because of his 2-way intelligence he doesn't cost his team defensively despite his smaller frame. I don't think Fonstad could survive in a similar role, he might cap at where Scherbak is right now, the skills are evident but can he truly find a role where he can positively contribute to the team. Fonstad could be a home run pick if his playmaking ability continues to blossom along with improvement with his skating but like I said I have my doubts. All this being said I am fine with this pick considering he was taken in the 5th round.
Fonstad is a much better skater than Hudon though, not even close. Hes also a superior playmaker, stick handler and hes more dynamic in his offensive play. Anyway, he is a long shot, this I agree.

Reactions: Deebs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
@ProspectsFanatic only thing I can't agree with in your post is Fonstad and Hudon's skating being similar.

They're not in the same class. Hudon was a poor skater and still is by NHL standards. McShane is who compares more to Hudon in that regard and even his skills (IQ, shot) in general.

Fonstad is a very good skater. Technically proficient and already faster than Hudon, especially in his first few steps.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
Fonstad has a slight edge on skating, sees the ice better, comparable puck skills to Hudon .

Hudon has more grit/sand paper, a much better release and overall better defensively then Fonstad.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
@ProspectsFanatic only thing I can't agree with in your post is Fonstad and Hudon's skating being similar.

They're not in the same class. Hudon was a poor skater and still is by NHL standards. McShane is who compares more to Hudon in that regard and even his skills (IQ, shot) in general.

Fonstad is a very good skater. Technically proficient and already faster than Hudon, especially in his first few steps.

Watching him play in the U18 he didn't look fast to me, just ok speed, he couldn't keep the puck on his stick for long. When I watched highlights of prospects I am mostly paying attention if I can get a feel for their skating abilities, I remember that I couldn't find any highlights were he truly outspeed the competition, but I clearly remember that because I couldn't come to a definitive evaluation of his skating I tried to find more clips on the WHL website game highlights (which I usually don't do), I find few relevant clips because he rarely seems to play at full speed which frustrated me (which is not a good sign because that's how you play the game at the NHL level), in the end, I never find any moments were he truly move up the ice with blazing speed, he did had solid edges though. Close to draft I bought the Black Book which said his skating was "average" which consolidated my opinion that he didn't have much more than simply good speed. You guys keep repeating to me that I am wrong and that he is in fact quite fast, so I am not so sure what that think anymore, but I am pretty sure he isn't especially fast. I doubt he drops to the 5th round if it is actually the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apeironic

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
People focus on speed waayyyyy too much these days Like if a lack of speed would explain why we can't win anything. Skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> speed.

Washington is not a fast team at all. It's a skilled team though.

Formenton is probably making the NHL this year over players like Batherson and Brown and he isn't very skilled. To me speed is unequivocally the most important attributes in today's NHL. Same can be said about Mete surpassing other defensemen in the organization.

Reactions: montreal

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Out of the 3 of Hillis, McShane and Fonstad I think I was least excited about Fonstad. He could actually be the best out of the 3 the more I see.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fonstad is not a bad skater, like not even close to being bad, and he's not slow at all.

Kotkaniemi isn't a bad skater either

never said he was a bad skater, he's not slow but for a player his size I think he will need that extra gear in the NHL if he's going to be a top 6 player on a contending team.

Kotka I'd say he's either a bad skater or below average, maybe it just looks worse then it is but it's an eye sore.

People focus on speed waayyyyy too much these days Like if a lack of speed would explain why we can't win anything. Skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> speed.

Washington is not a fast team at all. It's a skilled team though.

Tell that to Galchenyuk, there's no one thing that is going to explain why we can't win but speed in today's game is huge. You still need skill though of course, just being fast won't cut it but being skilled and slow will be a problem especially if you have several players like that.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
To be fair, they have played Regina 2x already.. and they suck.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
When I watched the rookie training camp and tournament I was disappointed by his play, but I’m happy to see him perform. He clearly need to add muscle to his frame. I thought he looked like a kid

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any longshots of him playing for Canada?

he would need to put up some big numbers but if so I could see him getting an invite to the winter camp maybe. We'll need to see what players make their NHL teams and stick and if they do will said teams loan them. Then we need to see how good he plays, I don't think he was very good at the U-18's and he wasn't invited to the summer camp so he'll need to really turn heads.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
he would need to put up some big numbers but if so I could see him getting an invite to the winter camp maybe. We'll need to see what players make their NHL teams and stick and if they do will said teams loan them. Then we need to see how good he plays, I don't think he was very good at the U-18's and he wasn't invited to the summer camp so he'll need to really turn heads.
I really hope he does and hope we can see as many prospects we can send in the u20s. Does anybody know which team sent the most prospects in a single U20 tourny? I think TBL send 7 last year.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Fonzie gonnq have himself a 100 points season, isnt he? 5 5 in 8 games so far, he did slow down a bit.
Watched them play here on Friday. That's a really good team there in PA. Great goalie and just wear you down. Fonstad scored two early in the third and the air went out of the home team's tires.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->