Prospect Info: Cole Fonstad (June 1st 2020: Rights expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Prove em wrong Fonz. Kid has talent for sure, its a shame no one worked with him to see him succeed.

Cough. Cough. Development staff. Cough. Cough.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Really, you prefer having Luuchuk, Lucchini, Blandisi and Sturtz?

they are all RFA's at this point and time or will be if/when the stupid gimmick tournament is over. I don't think Fonstad would be better then Blandisi going by what pens fans were saying as the 4 games he played for Laval is too small a sample size though he did have 4 pts including a huge 3 pt night vs the top team in the division and among the best in the AHL in the sens. Pens fans were saying he could be an option as a 4th liner for them.

Lucchini was ok, good speed, don't expect him to be back though.

Luchuk played 6 games and I had to look it up cause I can't remember a thing about him. Would be shocked if he was back.

Sturtz never played a game for Laval so I have no clue about him but doubt he's back either.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Seems like an admission of MB that his development team does not have the appetite or abilities to improve the most obvious weakness of a player whose hand-eye skill suggest untapped potential. Or he doesn't view it as part of his job to start the nurturing that early.

Reactions: calder candidate

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Seems like an admission of MB that his development team does not have the appetite or abilities to improve the most obvious weakness of a player whose hand-eye skill suggest untapped potential. Or he doesn't view it as part of his job to start the nurturing that early.

I disagree that it's an admission of the development. They were following up on Fonstad like they do every other prospect. But somewhere down the line, maybe they realized that what they were asking him to work on, he wasn't improving on. Same goes for any prospect they choose not to sign.

If it's a question of development, then I guess the other guys they did sign to an ELC is also an admission that their development has the appetite and ability? But because they didn't sign 3 guys out of the CHL, it's that they don't have the appetite and ability, right? That's how it works?

They only have two years to determine if they want to sign a prospect out of the CHL, unlike college and Europe, where they can take more of their time. So CHL prospects need to show more quicker.

Another reason why he wasn't signed is because Montreal signed Ylonen, Romanov, Khisamutdinov, and Hillis to their ELC's, as well as Demchenko (who with McNiven being an RFA and LaCouve's AHL deal expiring, they probably felt they need some more goaltending depth). With that, you have 5 ELC's signed in one off-season.

Then there is the 50-contract limit. Right now, Montreal has 34 contracts for next season. But they have a lot of RFA's to make a decision on, chief among them are Domi, Hudon, Evans, Vejdemo, Juulsen, Mete, Ouellet, and McNiven. And then you have Blandisi, Lucchini, Luchuk, Waked, and Sturtz (most of these guys will be let go. But there is the consideration to be taken). The point is, they need to limit the amount of prospects they sign because they have other players they need to sign.

It is a numbers game for some of the prospects, unfortunately. But it's also a question of them not progressing enough in areas the organization asks them to improve on. So it's also a matter of the prospect not forcing the organization to sign them.

And this is also another advantage of having many picks and deepening the prospect pool the way Montreal has done the last 3 drafts. Because then, they aren't forced to sign certain prospects or having to look elsewhere as much as they have in previous years. They can afford not to sign certain prospects.

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've said it before but I was 100% on board with the Hillis, McShane and Fonstad picks back then. Those are the type of guys you want to take a chance on in the later rounds, I can live with missing on a prospect like Fonstad.

They would be signed for sure if it was 2013 - 2016 point in time. We just can't sign everyone cause of the 50 contract limit and we have others who are performing better in their development before turning pro

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't see it that way as I don't think MB is smart enough to realize he has a development problem, although maybe he is starting to come round now that he opted not to rush Caufield with goes against everything he's done in the past.

I think it's simple, 3 year contract when you have a shit ton of draft picks that many will need to be signed in 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and KFlint

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

He's a 5th round pick for crying out loud, maybe he just didn't have it in him. There's plenty of 5th rounds picks who don't get contracts and there's a contract limit.

He's got such potential that teams are lining up to sign him, right?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Soft as butter... I called him and McShane to be left unsigned for months, basically no improvement in their game at all...I thought they would sign Houde though...

I could see Houde or all 3 get AHL deals if they go undrafted.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would have been fine either way with Fonstad, sign him or don't as I like the skill set but he's too soft, lacks strength and mass and I'm not sure how much NHL upside he even has. The problem is he just didn't progress since his draft year,

draft year - 1.01 ppg
D+1 - 1.09
D+2 - 1.23

That said only 2 players in the WHL had more assists then him, but what also might have hurt his chances was his massive drop in goals. He had 29 last year in 67 games, 15 in 60 games this year. That's not what you want to see from a D+2 player, yes his assists were up but his point totals have stayed the same at 73, 73, and 74.

Houde I just don't see how anyone liked him, we are talking about a kid that before this season had 84 pts in his QMJHL career of 159 games. Ouch that's just flat out terrible.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I would have been fine either way with Fonstad, sign him or don't as I like the skill set but he's too soft, lacks strength and mass and I'm not sure how much NHL upside he even has. The problem is he just didn't progress since his draft year,

draft year - 1.01 ppg
D+1 - 1.09
D+2 - 1.23

That said only 2 players in the WHL had more assists then him, but what also might have hurt his chances was his massive drop in goals. He had 29 last year in 67 games, 15 in 60 games this year. That's not what you want to see from a D+2 player, yes his assists were up but his point totals have stayed the same at 73, 73, and 74.

Houde I just don't see how anyone liked him, we are talking about a kid that before this season had 84 pts in his QMJHL career of 159 games. Ouch that's just flat out terrible.
I've seen Houde (on a line with RHP) play live this fall and their trio was flying and moving the puck with momentum all game, often outclassing the strong Lafrenière - Paré - Zavgorodny line. I see what he's got to offer, a quick/fast center that can follow good players. But all that is worthless if you dont put up points in junior. Especially if you have a big role on a squad and get opportunities. RHP is way better in comparison and is an accomplished playoffs performer and leader to boot.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've seen Houde (on a line with RHP) play live this fall and their trio was flying and moving the puck with momentum all game, often outclassing the strong Lafrenière - Paré - Zavgorodny line. I see what he's got to offer, a quick/fast center that can follow good players. But all that is worthless if you dont put up points in junior. Especially if you have a big role on a squad and get opportunities. RHP is way better in comparison and is an accomplished playoffs performer and leader to boot.

yea he's got the skating/speed you want but I always worry about CHLers that don't do shit until their age 19 season, big red flag for me. I saw him more last year and was not the least bit impressed as I didn't think he moved his feet enough and looked a bit lazy to me. I know he was a high pick in the Q draft so maybe that's why they took a shot on him but I wish they went in a different direction at the time.

Reactions: Toene

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Corey Locke was a pretty successful AHLer. I don't think they have legit NHL upside, but they can be good ECHL depth.
Locke was pretty talented, carved himself a nice european career. If he managed his money well, he's probably set for life from playing hockey! Unfortunately for him, he was very small for the NHL in those years, and was way too slow for a small player even in today's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad