Cole Caufield re-draft 2019

Caufield redraft

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Who gives a flying f*** about plus/minus, he was never meant to be a selke candidate or even a 2-way player.

Damn, this forum can be ridiculous sometimes. This is a prime example...nitpicking the plus/minus stat of a player like Caufield lol

You wanna talk about ridiculous, how about crowning a player who isn’t a 2-way-player by any means with 12 points in his first 19 games as someone you’d take first overall. That’s just a joke

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
You wanna talk about ridiculous, how about crowning a player who isn’t a 2-way-player by any means with 12 points in his first 19 games as someone you’d take first overall. That’s just a joke

Idk about 1st overall but 12 points in 19 games against the opposition's best forwards and defensemen all as a rookie is absolutely unreal.

Why is any of that a joke to you? I imagine most Canucks fans (and rightfully so) already had Pettersson as the #1 in their redraft after he put up 18pts in 17 games in his D+1.

Sure 12 in 19 isn't as sexy but he's also a rookie who played just 10 games prior to the playoffs.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Idk about 1st overall but 12 points in 19 games against the opposition's best forwards and defensemen all as a rookie is absolutely unreal.

Why is any of that a joke to you? I imagine most Canucks fans (and rightfully so) already had Pettersson as the #1 in their redraft after he put up 18pts in 17 games in his D+1.

Sure 12 in 19 isn't as sexy but he's also a rookie who played just 10 games prior to the playoffs.

Because 19 games is too small of a sample size to be crowning a 20 year old kid the first overall pick in a redraft?

Pettersson situation was totally different, he set the record for most points by a u20 player in the SHL, and showed that it wasn’t a fluke and his success was going to carry over. No one in that draft class has done enough to separate themselves from the pack. Now, if he’s able to continue producing at this clip next year/improve on it? Then yes, no doubt about it, he deserves the praise.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Caufield hasnt played enough games to be put 1st in a redraft.
Next season with more games under his belt, there could be a legit argument to go 1st overall in a redraft.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Because 19 games is too small of a sample size to be crowning a 20 year old kid the first overall pick in a redraft?

Pettersson situation was totally different, he set the record for most points by a u20 player in the SHL, and showed that it wasn’t a fluke and his success was going to carry over. No one in that draft class has done enough to separate themselves from the pack. Now, if he’s able to continue producing at this clip next year/improve on it? Then yes, no doubt about it, he deserves the praise.

19 games is small but it's still big enough of a sample size compared to his peers. People tend to forget Caufield was drafted just 2 years ago. He has the 6th most games (including playoffs) from his draft class.

It's funny you talk about EP dominating in the SHL and breaking some records. Hopefully you see the irony in this? Otherwise you're just commenting about a player you know absolutely nothing about.

I'll give you a hint...a guy who's name rhymes with Goal Caufield didn't do too bad in the USHL and Big-10

I don't know if he'd go #1 overall. We'd need to wait a few more years to know for sure. But if there was a re-draft held today and GMs are watching him in the playoffs, I have no doubt he goes top 5, maybe even top 3.

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
CC is playing great hockey and has pretty much done so everywhere he has played. Even before joining the Habs he did great in Laval.
I don't know if he should be the #1 pick in a redraft, but he would definitely be in the top 5 maybe even top 3

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
19 games is small but it's still big enough of a sample size compared to his peers. People tend to forget Caufield was drafted just 2 years ago. He has the 6th most games (including playoffs) from his draft class.

It's funny you talk about EP dominating in the SHL and breaking some records. Hopefully you see the irony in this? Otherwise you're just commenting about a player you know absolutely nothing about.

I'll give you a hint...a guy who's name rhymes with Goal Caufield didn't do too bad in the USHL and Big-10

I don't know if he'd go #1 overall. We'd need to wait a few more years to know for sure. But if there was a re-draft held today and GMs are watching him in the playoffs, I have no doubt he goes top 5, maybe even top 3.

This has nothing to do with Pettersson but as I said, Caufield and Pettersson in their post draft seasons are not the same. Pettersson was breaking records, and as far as I know Caufield hasn’t been doing so. 19 games is too small of a sample size, if it’s large compared to his peers that just adds to my point that it is too soon to be talking about him in a redraft. For all we know this draft could produce 5 PPG players, 5 #1 defencemen and he ends up being picked nearly the same place as he is. If I was a betting man I’d say 3 years down the line he isn’t being drafted top 3 in a re draft. I could look like an idiot down the road but it’s way too soon to be hyping the kid up the way some of y’all are.

Why can’t we just enjoy our young players without getting riled up about where they would go in a redraft lmao. If Caufield is as good as some people in here are saying just wait and he’ll prove the doubters wrong.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This has nothing to do with Pettersson but as I said, Caufield and Pettersson in their post draft seasons are not the same. Pettersson was breaking records, and as far as I know Caufield hasn’t been doing so. 19 games is too small of a sample size, if it’s large compared to his peers that just adds to my point that it is too soon to be talking about him in a redraft. For all we know this draft could produce 5 PPG players, 5 #1 defencemen and he ends up being picked nearly the same place as he is. If I was a betting man I’d say 3 years down the line he isn’t being drafted top 3 in a re draft. I could look like an idiot down the road but it’s way too soon to be hyping the kid up the way some of y’all are.

Why can’t we just enjoy our young players without getting riled up about where they would go in a redraft lmao. If Caufield is as good as some people in here are saying just wait and he’ll prove the doubters wrong.

Agreed...we're watching something special brewing with Suzuki and Caufield. Best to have this conversation in at least a couple years from now.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
LOL - how is it flawed? Since the draft, the kid won the Hobey Baker with offensive stats that we haven't seen since Eichel. He then gives the Habs an immediate boost in the playoffs with his offense. He's a clutch scorer. In a re-draft he would easily move ahead of Kako who probably would be outside the top-10.

It was a huge mistake by GMs to let the kid drop to 15 in that draft.

Wow, so Caufield at 20 was almost as good as Eichel at 18? Jesus, lock the thread up; he's already the clear cut #1 of this draft.

Some serious hot takes in this thread.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
A bit early but based on what he have so far I'd say he's around 7-10 depending on your preference.

Kakko
Dach
Byram
Seider
Zegras
Knight

In no particular order are who I have ahead of him.

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Here is my not so enlightened take on Caufield. The kid has special skills. He is exceptional even in the NHL on offense and that is the hardest thing to do. Defensively I think that he can be good at anticipating the play and positioning. But he is also not yet able to show much of a board game at all.

I do wonder if the NHL will figure him out and negate him, but I doubt it. He should score a ton, but he will have limitations and the coach will have to work around that.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guys, this is wayyyyyy too early.
Heckuva playoff though. Let's see how he looks this year and next year.

His size and him as a winger will always impact him in a redraft regardless of how good, just an FYI Habs fans.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Huh, Did you know that the people he's being compared to were also drafted "just two years ago"?

Yeah I know right? totally weird....

No f***ing shit.

Do you know how dumb it is to do a re-draft when only 4 players have over 50 games? ToTaLlY wEiRd EvEn

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I take Hughes, Zegras, and Dach over him, but Caufield changed my mind as far as future outlook. He is going to play a lot of games and score a lot of points. Thank god Philly didnt pick him

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This thread is just silly. I mean, the poll results (and options)

The top-3 will most likely be these 3 guys :

Moritz Seider
Trevor Zegras
Jack Hughes

Yet, 30.7% of voters have voted Caufield in that top-3

Then, for the following 7 spots you have A LOT of competition :

Dylan Cozens
Kirby Dach
Bowen Byram
Matthew Boldy
Alex Newhook
Peyton Krebs
Philip Tomasino
Connor McMichael
Kaapo Kakko
Spencer Knight
Philip Broberg
Alex Turcotte
Vasili Podkolzin
Thomas Harley
Victor Soderstrom
Ville Heinola
Shane Pinto
Mads Sogaard
Nils Hoglander
Mattias Norlinder
Cam York

I probably missed some and some others will emerge too

Just being top-10 from that draft will be quite the feat. I voted 8 for good vibes because being so small and being elite (i.e. being a NHLer) at this sport is already incredible

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Redraft for me.
1 Dach
2 Byram
3 Hughes
4 Cousins
5 Zegras
6 Newhook
7 Kakko
8 Seider
9 Boldy