Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It still does not help and we need goal scorer and Caufield is one of the best.

It's like saying let's trade Caufield for Askarov because he is better overall than Caufield. We have a bigger need for goalscorers and we are lucky to have one of the best goal scorer prospect.
Kaliyev is also a fantastic goalscorer, but the rest of his game sucks a lot. Goalies have very little value, so it is not the same thing. Drafting by need is the worst idea ever.

Smith is s top notch skater with a great offensive brain and more than adequate defensively, he was a favorite of mine in 2018.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Kaliyev is also a fantastic goalscorer, but the rest of his game sucks a lot. Goalies have very little value, so it is not the same thing. Drafting by need is the worst idea ever.

Smith is s top notch skater with a great offensive brain and more than adequate defensively, he was a favorite of mine in 2018.
Caufield is not Kaliyev.

We did not draft by need when we got Caufield, he was BPA. Caufield vs Smith as a prospect is a wash and I would rather hold into Caufield then trade for another LD.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Caufield is not Kaliyev.

We did not draft by need when we got Caufield, he was BPA. Caufield vs Smith as a prospect is a wash and I would rather hold into Caufield then trade for another LD.
Never said he was Kaliyev, but Kaliyev was also a tremendous goalscorer. Doesnt mean we have to give up assets for him because he fills a goalscoring need.

Timmins admitted they drafted by need for several years now. The rumor was we were going to draft Cam York, and you can see in the draft video that he says we need a goalscorer like him. That we need help on the PP. He could have been BPA and need, but they clearly prioritized needs.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Never said he was Kaliyev, but Kaliyev was also a tremendous goalscorer. Doesnt mean we have to give up assets for him because he fills a goalscoring need.

Timmins admitted they drafted by need for several years now. The rumor was we were going to draft Cam York, and you can see in the draft video that he says we need a goalscorer like him. That we need help on the PP. He could have been BPA and need, but they clearly prioritized needs.
He was also interviewed at the combine which is a good indicator of the team interest. They had him in their top 10.

If anything drafting Cam York would have been drafting for need. They also drafted in the 2nd/3rd round Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother so they clearly targeted specific needs.

Reactions: dralaf

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He was also interviewed at the combine which is a good indicator of the team interest. They had him in their top 10.

If anything drafting Cam York would have been drafting for need. They also drafted in the 2nd/3rd round Struble, Norlinder, Fairbrother so they clearly targeted specific needs.
They could have multiple needs, and the teams biggest flaws last year was the PP and the LHD.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

This is a misconception....What they said is 'Once Philly took York, we knew who we were taking' doesn't mean they took our guy so we settled (which for some reason people ran with that idea)...I see it as they didn't take our guy so we were able to take him.

Reactions: dralaf and Fenris

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019

Well that bit about Kaliyev is blatantly false lmao

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I legit cannot comprehend the sudden negativity about Caufield after the freshmen season he's had. What the hell was he supposed to do better than he did ? Somehow convince the national team coach to use him more and somehow carry an underachieving team to a WJC medal as an 18 year old? Cause that's litteraly the one thing he could have done better. I guess he could have somehow managed to be the top scorer on the worst team in his conference by a BIGGER margin but good luck with that surrounding cast.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You can’t teach Caufield’s goal scoring. He’s going to be a hell of a player.

I have my doubts 5/5 but on the PP and 4/4 and 3/3 in overtime, he will be very dangerous. He will have a lot to adjust to when he turns pro. Best thing he can do with his development is work on lower body strength and power skating even more.

If Caufield can be a elite level skater and work on improving lower body strength like Gallagher, he can be a star! His shot and offensive skills are off the charts but needs to play with a dominate center who frees up space for him. Time and space and ability to create it will be everything

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

The whole argument that they also REALLY NEEDED LDs kind of makes that less than CLEAR.

I think it was a case of "We took the BPA and are happy he potentially fills our need for an ELITE goal scorer."

Reactions: Be a Hab

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
This is a misconception....What they said is 'Once Philly took York, we knew who we were taking' doesn't mean they took our guy so we settled (which for some reason people ran with that idea)...I see it as they didn't take our guy so we were able to take him.

Well put.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-3_16-30-11.png

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Speaking of talented midgets, I'd love to see a line of Rossi with Caufield and Hall, for example. That would be so high tempo offense opposing Ds would get headaches just thinking about being on the ice with them...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The Caleb White Project = “A Detroit-based non-profit with a two-fold mission: to help the homeless and less fortunate and to build youth leaders through volunteerism”

upload_2020-6-4_13-17-49.png

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There's no question CC has the potential to be tremendous goal scorer and absolute gem to watch. Definitely scares me though. I had Newhook over him and it could go either way at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad