Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I brought this up over on the prospect board in the Caufield thread as there were a couple Wisconsin fans that were thrashing him and others.

I think you have a kid that has a ton of confidence in himself that sees his buddy in the NHL and he feels he should be in the NHL to as over the summer he wouldn't commit to saying he would even play for Wisconsin. So I think you have a kid that doesn't really want to be there or perhaps more that he feels he doesn't need to give it his all maybe. Cause I've seen him make some good hard working defensive plays and I've seen him make just flat out lazy, I'm not interested in playing D all that much kind of plays as well.

Now perhaps the fact that his teams sucks and is buried in last place, and maybe he's thinking about that NHL contract he's looking to get in March and saying to himself I don't want to get injured. Of course I'm just speculating. I didn't see too much of him before the draft so I can't speak to his defensive play but we all know that that **** won't fly under Julien if he hopes to make the team full time next year.
Lot of young kids are not into a 200 foot game. They have always been stars and pretty well played how they wanted to play. The question is how coachable are they?
As far as the kid he's hedged more on playing for the club this year. I think the world jr.'s sobered him up a little. His most recent interview I read he seemed to acknowledge it's not that easy.
I'd love for him to play college next year. Since strength is an issue with his small frame playing in the AHL seems counterproductive.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Lot of young kids are not into a 200 foot game. They have always been stars and pretty well played how they wanted to play. The question is how coachable are they?
As far as the kid he's hedged more on playing for the club this year. I think the world jr.'s sobered him up a little. His most recent interview I read he seemed to acknowledge it's not that easy.
I'd love for him to play college next year. Since strength is an issue with his small frame playing in the AHL seems counterproductive.

It's funny how posters here resist players developping a 200 foot game (not talking about you here btw).

Kane's defense keeps being brought up, but man the guy is really good without the puck. He creates a ton of his offense due to how he's always in the right places to gets puck touches and pressures the opposition into turning it away.

You don't have to be a genius defensively, but the really good offensive players are also really good at turning defense into offense.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why would that not be possible with a renowned developmental coach, which we have, in the AHL?

Holy hyperbole Batman!

I am not implying in any way that he is a poor developmental coach but he hardly has the resume to support your "renowned developmental coach" comment. Let's see him actually develop some good NHLers before crowning him the King of player development.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's funny how posters here resist players developping a 200 foot game (not talking about you here btw).

Kane's defense keeps being brought up, but man the guy is really good without the puck. He creates a ton of his offense due to how he's always in the right places to gets puck touches and pressures the opposition into turning it away.

You don't have to be a genius defensively, but the really good offensive players are also really good at turning defense into offense.
When you have a genius in the offensive game the "200 foot game" is completely mitigated.
When I coached I wanted my offensive genius to cheat as much as he can.
Did Mario Lemieux serve much value in backchecking? Hell no.
But Caufield has to get better in the corners and fighting for the puck.
In today's game of speed it's about time and space and it's much less in the NHL.
but that shot of his....

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

The advantage about playing NCAA is the shorter schedule, the Grade A training facilities and the ability to use the extra year of growth at a crucial time in his life to prepare himself for the rigours of a more physical NHL.

The pressure of performing n the AHL, with all the road trips, the longer, more condensed schedule, etc., would take away from the time required to smoothly prepare himself for the Big Time.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
When you have a genius in the offensive game the "200 foot game" is completely mitigated.
In today's game of speed it's about time and space and it's much less in the NHL.
but that shot of his....

You're right, Caufield needs to copy Gallagher in the way he can turn the puck back on a dime and deke out opponents as he fights for the puck along the boards, in the corners and behind the net.

Caulfield being able to thread the needle after pulling away from an opponent with the puck on his stick would generate tons of scoring.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The advantage about playing NCAA is the shorter schedule, the Grade A training facilities and the ability to use the extra year of growth at a crucial time in his life to prepare himself for the rigours of a more physical NHL.

The pressure of performing n the AHL, with all the road trips, the longer, more condensed schedule, etc., would take away from the time required to smoothly prepare himself for the Big Time.
All very good points and the other is not playing against grown men who know how to physically manhandle kids. That doesnt help in "development" as much as staying with your peers at a very young age. I know some can do it. But they are the exception not the rule.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I hate them being misused/miscast in the NHL

More than anyone they need to be put in positions to succed - not prove they are are a 200 ft player that will never make a mistake from day one which seems to be the Montreal mantra for decades

If CC needs to prove to Julien he can be a grinder in the bottom 6 he'll be on the list of Timmins busts before he is 22 so definitely keep him in the AHL but if he looks ready at the NHL level then gives us options with trading wingers for help on LHD, if he's not need to go to a plan B. Assuming of course MB is still trying to make the playoffs next year and not rebuilding like he should

I agree 100%.

If he can't crack the top 6, put him in the AHL and let him play top minutes.

The Habs got a preview during the WJC with how this guy will look as a 3rd liner with little to no relevant PP time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're right, Caufield needs to copy Gallagher in the way he can turn the puck back on a dime and deke out opponents as he fights for the puck along the boards, in the corners and behind the net.

Caulfield being able to thread the needle after pulling away from an opponent with the puck on his stick would generate tons of scoring.

I think he has a long ways to go in the physical department for him to be an impact player (5/5) in the NHL. Skill and NHL shot is not the issue at all. Said the same thing towards Suzuki last summer and he made that a focus in his training. Caulfield needs to add some muscle.

I say one more NCAA year is for the best. Then maybe one AHL year of half year.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think he has a long ways to go in the physical department for him to be an impact player (5/5) in the NHL. Skill and NHL shot is not the issue at all. Said the same thing towards Suzuki last summer and he made that a focus in his training. Caulfield needs to add some muscle.

It's all about the legs. Balance. Another era....but Martin St-Louis strength was in his legs. So in no way shape or form do I want to see Caufield with the Habs next year. They have to stop with the little gift to compensate for their inept management.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Holy hyperbole Batman!

I am not implying in any way that he is a poor developmental coach but he hardly has the resume to support your "renowned developmental coach" comment. Let's see him actually develop some good NHLers before crowning him the King of player development.
Renowned to King? You have more explanations to give than me about hyperbole! Awful. Seriously.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
but that shot of his....

today on HF, I learned Caufield is like Mario Lemieux. We really got a streal at 15 apparently.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

I think Cole has talked back playing pro recently.

A little humble pie goes a long way. His buddy Jack has struggled with the pro game and regardless of excuses and blame Cole struggled at the WJC.

I'd love to see him go back for another year of college. But the big club has issues with developing players properly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Cole has talked back playing pro recently.

A little humble pie goes a long way. His buddy Jack has struggled with the pro game and regardless of excuses and blame Cole struggled at the WJC.

I'd love to see him go back for another year of college. But the big club has issues with developing players properly.

Humbled is the right word for sure! Caufield should be brought up more slowly and he knows it now after his fist NCAA season. Lets hope Bergevin/Timmins is on the same page

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Humbled is the right word for sure! Caufield should be brought up more slowly and he knows it now after his fist NCAA season. Lets hope Bergevin/Timmins is on the same page

He's having a really solid freshman season , if Wisconsin doesn't add more talent we may prefer to see him develop in the AHL. Bouchard seems to be doing a good job with our youngsters.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Depends on the type of player. If he can control the play like Malkin, you can live with him not being the best defensive player. Caulfield is a sniper though. Unless he goes out and scores 30 right off the bat, he will get himself into trouble if he's not engaged.

Reactions: DAChampion

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Depends on the type of player. If he can control the play like Malkin, you can live with him not being the best defensive player. Caulfield is a sniper though. Unless he goes out and scores 30 right off the bat, he will get himself into trouble if he's not engaged.
I very much agree he needs to be more engaged as a player if he makes the leap. My point was he's lived his whole hockey career as the "guy" and never had to do much else. It wont work in the NHL. Look at his buddy Jack. He needs a few years. Their one dimensional play wont work in the NHL. The only guys in the NHL who don't need to play the 200 foot game are the Mario's and Geno's.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Cole should take the next step and play in Laval next year. A step up in level of play, physicality, speed, etc...

Give him a taste of the NHL during training camp and then send him down for the year.

Reactions: HankyZetts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->