Prospect Info: Cole Caufield Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Maybe they will be. But if you aren't having a discussion around whether it's best for a players development to be utterly dominating a league or being challenged in the next league up than I think you are doing it wrong.

So for the record. You'd have a problem if Caufield has scored 40+ goals after Christmas signing and playing in the AHL for a few months? Because quite frankly, if Caufield isn't being challenged at the collegiate level than he probably needs to be playing at a higher level. Now, maybe there are aspects of his game that needs work and he's getting that in College and it doesn't show up on the scoresheet. Fair enough. But that's where that discussion thing comes in.

It is a silly discussion to have because it isn't going to happen. I do not recall ever seeing an NCAA star quit his team during the season to sign pro.....I am not even sure that this is allowed.

Perhaps, Montreal the poster, can shed some light on this issue as he is the boards resident NCAA expert.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
This kid is gonna be one of our best players for years. A pure goal scorer is exactly what the doctor ordered. Gonna inject some life into our lineup of mostly play makers.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I salivate at the idea of him opening up a ton of space for his line mates on the PP and also 5 on 5. With the speed of Suzuki, Drouin and what not, it’s going to be lethal.

Reactions: dralaf

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I salivate at the idea of him opening up a ton of space for his line mates on the PP and also 5 on 5. With the speed of Suzuki, Drouin and what not, it’s going to be lethal.
Edit: I wrote Suzuki but meant Domi...

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
EHNGJ_fW4AA5ci1.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
For those who think these goals are just tap ins that he was fortunate to be there for, you need to take a step back and see the entire picture.

On the one timer from the left circle Caufield actually moved away from the net to open the lane for the pass. This is counter intuitive for most players who often just remain static or move towards the net. Caufield has the ability and confidence to finish the play from anywhere and in any position which is why he gets open as he will move to the open ice no matter where it is and remain equally dangerous.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
For those who think these goals are just tap ins that he was fortunate to be there for, you need to take a step back and see the entire picture.

On the one timer from the left circle Caufield actually moved away from the net to open the lane for the pass. This is counter intuitive for most players who often just remain static or move towards the net. Caufield has the ability and confidence to finish the play from anywhere and in any position which is why he gets open as he will move to the open ice no matter where it is and remain equally dangerous.

Being able to consistently find the soft spots to get both open and able to find a good enough angle to hit the net is no joke.

You can count these players with that special ability on the fingers of your hands. Ovy, Stamkos and the likes. Very, very few. If it translates in the NHL for Caufield we are in for a ride.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

That rush he had last night, where the goalie made the save was dirty. His ability to shoot off the rush is something special.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
two tap ins.

Seriously though, what he brings is exactly what we need now.

You have to think MB will think about giving him a shot to make the team at the end of the NCAA season. Let's hope Wisconsin doesn't have a deep playoff run.
What he brings is something every team needs.

Goals are hard to come by in this league. Goal Caufield... has a nice ring to it. I seriously hope this guy's game can translate to the NHL. I also seriously hope that he has a crazy growth spurt at 19 years old...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What he brings is something every team needs.

Goals are hard to come by in this league.

Ok but I think Tampa, Toronto, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, and all the contenders have more and better goal scorers than we do ;)

He is one thing we need if we want to get to that level.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That rush he had last night, where the goalie made the save was dirty. His ability to shoot off the rush is something special.

Because he can shoot from multiple release points he is able to drag the puck to spots where he can release it between legs, skates and sticks while keeping the puck on target. The quickness of his hands makes it difficult to block his shot and tough for the goaltender to read and anticipate.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf and Hacketts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Forgot to add that they said during the game last night that 24 NHL teams had scouts there and that the Habs had 2 media outlets there, I think he said RDS and the Athletic and that they were there to do a write up on Caufield although he could have meant one for the Habs and another media there to cover Caufield and other USNDTP players.

It is a silly discussion to have because it isn't going to happen. I do not recall ever seeing an NCAA star quit his team during the season to sign pro.....I am not even sure that this is allowed.

Perhaps, Montreal the poster, can shed some light on this issue as he is the boards resident NCAA expert.

I covered in last night in this thread, it would cripple his team since they can't replace him during the season.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
For him to be successful at the next level, who on our team at Center would be best for him ? Domi, Kotka or Suzuki? Also, who is on the other wing?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For him to be successful at the next level, who on our team at Center would be best for him ? Domi, Kotka or Suzuki? Also, who is on the other wing?
I like the idea of Kotka with Suzuki and Poehling with Caulfield. Kotka and Suzuki can play that high IQ game, while Poehling brings pure playmaking, size, puck retreival, net presence etc.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Tatar -Danault-Gallagher
Domi-Poehling-Suzuki
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Lehkonen/Byron- Thompson/Evans-Armia/Byron

These are the lines that I would like to see next season. There is some ridiculous depth and skill throughout the lineup. At first I had Caufield and Suzuki reversed but I think Suzuki needs to play with linemates that force him to play at a high pace like Poehling and Domi do.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The truth is, we don't have a center for Caufield right now. That's why Bergevin was trying to get Aho...Barzal, would work, a fast playmaking center (or what they hoped Drouin was).

This is where "smallville" is hurting us: Domi - Gallagher - Byron - Lekhonen - Weal <== something has to give we have too many of these guys to put Caufield on top of that. I've been for trading Byron asap for a long while, and Lekhonen I don't fancy too much.

The other solution is to have a playmaking winger that leads the play enough. Drouin is still a potential there.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The truth is, we don't have a center for Caufield right now. That's why Bergevin was trying to get Aho...Barzal, would work, a fast playmaking center (or what they hoped Drouin was).

This is where "smallville" is hurting us: Domi - Gallagher - Byron - Lekhonen - Weal <== something has to give we have too many of these guys to put Caufield on top of that. I've been for trading Byron asap for a long while, and Lekhonen I don't fancy too much.

The other solution is to have a playmaking winger that leads the play enough. Drouin is still a potential there.

Suzuki is exactly the type of C Cole needs. Creative centerman.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Eventually, Domi to the wings. Kotkaniemi and Suzuki our first 2 C's. Danault, perfect 3rd line C. Caufield would shine with either Kotka or Suzuki as his centermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad