Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
What I've seen from this small sample of kiddo, is that he's got elite offensive awareness. No doubt. Higher than any of our prospects or our young players.

But going against the grain of this forum for sure, I think he needs to be better 5 on 5. And he will learn that with Laval. Playing for a team that is rebuilding, I would have said : sure, bring him up so that he learns on the fly. Like Ottawa is doing.

But the Habs' brass is definitely not aiming for a tank. In that case, every defensive mistake he will make, he will feel it from everybody. And that is not good for a young pup trying to learn the ropes of a pro life.

I finally watched yesterday's goals. The speed of the game in his zone is too much for him, so much so that he doesn't know where to stand.

Kiddo will be elite in scoring. No doubt. But in an NHL game, he will touch the puck about 90 seconds per game, maybe? The rest of his 15-20 minutes on the ice will be spent elsewhere. And right now, he doesn't seem to know where to hang out when the puck is in his zone.

Laval will be good for him in the long run.

But I know this is not the popular answer on this thread. What can I say?
I trust your judgement more than I trust our GM's.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
He's a good apple.

Reminds me of a young Gally, not in playstyle but in personality.

Like KK and Suzuki last year, he's made the end of the season tolerable from a fan perspective.

Anyone know if he'll still be a rookie next year? I'd say he's got a shot at the Calder if so.

Reactions: 74 others

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
E1EMxc2WYAIhEYI

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
He's been fanning on shots he usually easily rifles and has been shaky with his stickhandling, which is kind of surprising. Anyhow, I think it's nerves because he knows that DD is just looking for a reason to take him out of the lineup and I doubt he'll see the ice in the playoffs when everybody's back.

It's a shame because he's probably our most dynamic forward at the moment but he's getting the most limited opportunities I've seen a bluechip prospect get in a while. Can't wait to see how he does next year with a full training camp with the team.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
He's been fanning on shots he usually easily rifles and has been shaky with his stickhandling, which is kind of surprising. Anyhow, I think it's nerves because he knows that DD is just looking for a reason to take him out of the lineup and I doubt he'll see the ice in the playoffs when everybody's back.

It's a shame because he's probably our most dynamic forward at the moment but he's getting the most limited opportunities I've seen a bluechip prospect get in a while. Can't wait to see how he does next year with a full training camp with the team.

Like you said, it's very uncharacteristic of him because those are his strengths. He just has to settle down mentally. He's trying to do things too fast because he's telling himself that he needs to do that in the NHL. He's rushing himself for nothing.
We should all be happy that he has no problem handling NHL speed and tight checking so far. He gets open and gets a fair amount of chances each game while playing on the 4th line with limited icetime.

Not worried about the other parts. They're his strengths. It'll come.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Like you said, it's very uncharacteristic of him because those are his strengths. He just has to settle down mentally. He's trying to do things too fast because he's telling himself that he needs to do that in the NHL. He's rushing himself for nothing.
We should all be happy that he has no problem handling NHL speed and tight checking so far. He gets open and gets a fair amount of chances each game while playing on the 4th line with limited icetime.

Not worried about the other parts. They're his strengths. It'll come.
Ya, it’s not something to worry about. Clearly he’s gripping his stick a little tight right now, and that’s normal. Once he settles in, those fans will end up in the net.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Is he? He put CC out in OT against McDavid. Seems like he might trust the kid more than you are giving credit for.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He has nice quickness to make up for a lack of overall speed. His hockey I.Q. is so good he needs to play with guys who understand the game well. His lack of awareness in the defensive zone is very noticeable. It's like he wants nothing to do with it. That has to change moving forward but you cannot teach what this kid has. He has special qualities.

Reactions: angusyoung

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

And hopefully a new coach.

Reactions: Turtleneck Plek

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He has nice quickness to make up for a lack of overall speed. His hockey I.Q. is so good he needs to play with guys who understand the game well. His lack of awareness in the defensive zone is very noticeable. It's like he wants nothing to do with it. That has to change moving forward but you cannot teach what this kid has. He has special qualities.
He has scored at every level and will continue to score in the NHL.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Theres no way Caufield isnt a contender for the Calder next season,should be a nice battle between him and hes good friend Zegras ( not sure if he passed the 10 games )

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Kk will not play the first game...and he does not deserve it at all....and I am a fan of kk

He was horrible offensively in the last 25 games..horrible...

Reactions: frapp10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->