Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
That's what I said...

Is the issue the player? Or his perception and our impatience?

I think it's the latter.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Caufield, I know the sample is small...but I don't see a player who would gain a ton from going to play in the AHL next year.

I would agree, I don’t think Caufield would gain much at this point in the AHL, provided though he continues to get the opportunities in the NHL. Small sample size, but him scoring 3 goals in the NHL isn’t a fluke. Now, is it sustainable? That’s up to the team. He clearly can score, and even when he didn’t, he’s hit posts or goalies had to make saves.

He still needs sheltering and oZone starts for the foreseeable future. However, he has the shot and release and I think he’ll figure out how to play in the NHL very quickly. How to figure out a role and stay in the NHL, we’ll have to see.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
What I've seen from this small sample of kiddo, is that he's got elite offensive awareness. No doubt. Higher than any of our prospects or our young players.

But going against the grain of this forum for sure, I think he needs to be better 5 on 5. And he will learn that with Laval. Playing for a team that is rebuilding, I would have said : sure, bring him up so that he learns on the fly. Like Ottawa is doing.

But the Habs' brass is definitely not aiming for a tank. In that case, every defensive mistake he will make, he will feel it from everybody. And that is not good for a young pup trying to learn the ropes of a pro life.

I finally watched yesterday's goals. The speed of the game in his zone is too much for him, so much so that he doesn't know where to stand.

Kiddo will be elite in scoring. No doubt. But in an NHL game, he will touch the puck about 90 seconds per game, maybe? The rest of his 15-20 minutes on the ice will be spent elsewhere. And right now, he doesn't seem to know where to hang out when the puck is in his zone.

Laval will be good for him in the long run.

But I know this is not the popular answer on this thread. What can I say?

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Toronto is the top scoring 5v5 team in the league and have made far more experienced, "defensive" forwards look like Timbits at times this year. There's really not much to read into with that game.

He's hustling, skating hard, involved in the play, and showing a preternatural ability to get open and get shots on net. As is the case with any other young top flighter, we need to play him to his strengths and limit his weaknesses. So play him for most of every PP and give him ozone starts with competent linemates. Then profit...

Reactions: montreal

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Habs lineup is filled with players who make contributions that don't impact scoring...Caufield has a skill that few on this team have.

There's a spot for him, to be an important contributor on this team if the coaching staff can stop focusing on D.O.B.s.

Yes, and, there is a vested interest in optimizing his development that isn't a concern for say Tatar or Armia or Perry or Staal et.

We're well experienced with rushing young players & then penalizing them when they deal with inevitable struggles/inconsistencie... That's a poor approach to development that relies far too much on the player to "tough it out" to succeed.

Shelter & play him in situations to optimize his impact or let him hone his pro game & physical maturation on a stage he's ready to excel now at...

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, and, there is a vested interest in optimizing his development that isn't a concern for say Tatar or Armia or Perry or Staal et.

We're well experienced with rushing young players & then penalizing them when they deal with inevitable struggles/inconsistencie... That's a poor approach to development that relies far too much on the player to "tough it out" to succeed.

Shelter & play him in situations to optimize his impact or let him home his pro game & physical maturation on a stage he's ready to excel now at...
Solid post, couldn't agree more... especially the bolded.

Although I hope Caufield isn't sheltered forever (see Kotkaniemi)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Couldn't agree more...sometimes I get the impression that people think the AHL is some magic processor where if Prospect A plays X amount of games it equates to automatic NHL success.

For me...with Jesperi Kotkaniemi, I just don't see a coaching staff committed to making him part of the success of the team.

I see it with Suzuki and we can see those results are paying off.

Until that becomes true with Kotkaniemi, his evaluation remains incomplete for me. I still see a lot of projectability but at some point, you've got to create the same room for him to grow as they did with Suzuki.

I think KK has been put in a position to succeed. He is playing as much / more then most 20 YO's, with good players. 14:53 per, some PP time, o zone start, a regular shift and he keeps getting put back out there even when he isn't producing.

Again, he has been great at times and his progression, to me anyways, looks like it should. Young guy figuring the league out in a monster slump. I don't come here and post a lot anymore, but watch every game and TBH I wasn't even aware there was a dev issue. He was and is a project - team was gambling that in 4-6 years post draft we would have a big, two way centre that could produce some offense. I still think that's where he lands. Anyone that had him penciled in as a 70p two way centre at 20 had unreasonable expectations.

Also wondering how Covid is impacting the performance of some of these young guys. Only 12 guys under 23 in the top 100 scoring. For under 21's, not 1 guy on pace for 70 points.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I think KK has been put in a position to succeed. He is playing as much / more then most 20 YO's, with good players. 14:53 per, some PP time, o zone start, a regular shift and he keeps getting put back out there even when he isn't producing.

Again, he has been great at times and his progression, to me anyways, looks like it should. Young guy figuring the league out in a monster slump. I don't come here and post a lot anymore, but watch every game and TBH I wasn't even aware there was a dev issue. He was and is a project - team was gambling that in 4-6 years post draft we would have a big, two way centre that could produce some offense. I still think that's where he lands. Anyone that had him penciled in as a 70p two way centre at 20 had unreasonable expectations.

Also wondering how Covid is impacting the performance of some of these young guys. Only 12 guys under 23 in the top 100 scoring. For under 21's, not 1 guy on pace for 70 points.

You should post more. Level-headed voice of reason amidts a sea of radical emotional opinions.

Reactions: dinodebino

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You should post more. Level-headed voice of reason amidts a sea of radical emotional opinions.

TBH I can't stand it much here anymore, level of discourse is terrible. Lots of good hockey minds but the loudest most emotional voices drown everyone else out and I don't have the time to go back and forth on things that frankly don't matter much to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->