Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Zacha is producing at a 55 pts pace on a bad team that's going to miss the playoffs. He's not a bust. But that is not what you hope to get from a #6 overall. Even if you tell me it's good production from a #6 overall you ain't changing your franchise with such players.

If I were a NHL GM my instructions for the draft would be, if you see a guy that is 100% assured of hitting 50 pts in his prime, and another guy who is 50% to either bust or hit 80 pts, I'd say go for the 80 pts guy. Keep in mind this is just a ballpark. If you are taking a 50-60 pts guy but he has O'Reilly's all around game... it's not the same thing as a small winger who's afraid of contact.

Can Kotkaniemi hit 55-60 pts before 24, sure... probably. Still does not make him a great pick. It's not what I'd be shooting for at #3 overall. If he was really the best pick available at that spot and that's his top end, then maybe it was a weak draft. But I think if the draft is held again today, Kotkot is going #5-6, not #3.

I agree with you 1,000%.

I always want to draft the BPA. Sergachev and Caufield are good examples of just drafting talent. I did have mixed feelings about KK though. Center is such an important position. So while after KK was drafted I said he better be the best player available, I also said this one time I'll give them a pass if he turns out to be a decent center.

But yes, I hope they change their stupid policy of drafting for need. Not holding my breath on that one. But hopefilully Cole and Sergachev make a light go off.

As for KK, I was only using Zacha to make a point. He went from a 20-30 point to a 55 point player at 24. The point is your production can jump after 24, 25. Hertl amd Couturier are better examples. O'Reilly went from a 55-65 point player to close to a pp player at 27/28.

Kk is one of the youngest players in the league. Let's be patient to see what he becomes as he continues to develop physically. He will probably get that extra half step of explosiveness as his legs get stronger and be harder to knock off the puck. Tkachuk was blessed with those physical attributes at a young age. Let's see what KK is when he hits his physical prime.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Zacha is producing at a 55 pts pace on a bad team that's going to miss the playoffs. He's not a bust. But that is not what you hope to get from a #6 overall. Even if you tell me it's good production from a #6 overall you ain't changing your franchise with such players.

If I were a NHL GM my instructions for the draft would be, if you see a guy that is 100% assured of hitting 50 pts in his prime, and another guy who is 50% to either bust or hit 80 pts, I'd say go for the 80 pts guy. Keep in mind this is just a ballpark. If you are taking a 50-60 pts guy but he has O'Reilly's all around game... it's not the same thing as a small winger who's afraid of contact.

Can Kotkaniemi hit 55-60 pts before 24, sure... probably. Still does not make him a great pick. It's not what I'd be shooting for at #3 overall. If he was really the best pick available at that spot and that's his top end, then maybe it was a weak draft. But I think if the draft is held again today, Kotkot is going #5-6, not #3.

Well you have to go with players who are available. It's nice to tell your GM "I want an impact player at #3" but if that worked you could do the same thing at pick #84. Who would you have preferred in 2018? So far Tkachuk and Hughes have had more impact, maybe Farabee. Tkachuk was blasted on this board. Zadina was the consensus pick, and he seems fine, so far.

It's a little early to decide Kotkaniemi's ceiling. It's also still possible that the best player taken in the draft hasn't made a mark, or even played in, the NHL yet.

I'm not thrilled that the habs picked perceived need over BPA, but so far JK doesn't look worse than Zadina, and as a potentially physical center he's higher value even if he ends up with fewer points. Hughes would have been interesting but who knows what the habs would have done with him. Tkachuk is looking like a steal so far, though we'll see if he has already hit his ceiling (not a bad ceiling) or if the Senators benefited from the habs choice. In that aspect I appreciate the choice: Tkachuk was physically mature and high floor, Kotkaniemi was improving sharply and still growing.

To summarize: you can only pick players who are available, in a weak year a high pick will be disappointing, and you are judging players at a point in time, future path is not always visible. The habs have made some really terrible picks, especially ones like McCarron that look like "get the best big center available with this pick even if he'd still be on the board in 2 rounds and there are way better options" but I don't see that in 2018, even if it doesn't work out it's a reasonable thought process.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I believe McCarron and KK weren't consensus BPA at the time. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is what I remember.

To get back to Caufield, it's so silly that teams continue to make these sorts of mistakes at the draft table. A shot like that and the offensive instincts to use it can't be taught. Players can work on their athleticism, commitment, fitness, defensive game (though a little harder). But those instincts, those are rare.

The fear of size, especially in today's game is so ridiculous.

true... though in CC's case, i suspect that the combination of his very small stature and the question of how much his productivity was tied to playing with Hughes, contributed to the doubt about his future impact.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
E0kJ7ZlX0AMAeI7

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
true... though in CC's case, i suspect that the combination of his very small stature and the question of how much his productivity was tied to playing with Hughes, contributed to the doubt about his future impact.
Regardless of whether he was playing with Hughes or not, a shot like that, that’s very very rare.

Reactions: Miller Time

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Truly exciting prospect with an elite trait. I absolutely love his humble nature. You can tell right away that he’s not going to be the guy who stretches his shifts(looking at you KK) and plays for himself. Suzuki has the same mentality and that's extremely important for youngster going forward.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Imagine if this guy played with McDavid.

I was thinking Draisaitl - since he's got hands and finish like McDavid.

But yeah, we need to get him a playmaker.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Toffoli and Suzuki.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I was thinking Draisaitl - since he's got hands and finish like McDavid.

But yeah, we need to get him a playmaker.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing with Toffoli and Suzuki.
If Drouin can get his stuff figured out he's the type of stickhandler and passer who would buy Cole time to get open and feed him the biscuit. Big If though.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
This team is going to be dangerous once Gallagher is playing again. They're going to have to watch Gallagher AND Caufield.

Right shot Anderson signed 7 years
Right shot Toffoli signed 4 years
Right shot Gallagher signed 6 years
Right shot Caufield just signed 3 years

Right shot Armia UFA , Right shot Perry UFA (re-sign at least 1 of those guys plz), we also have 2 righty centers lol Suzuki and Evans..

Meanwhile our Left shot LWs is in complete SHAMBLES
I hope Tylers ok with being perma LW lol... Weve got Anderson at LW now

Wonder if CC can play LW too, its gonna be a logjam at RW for the forseeable future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->