Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
For his first NHL goal to be a game-winner is a big deal, they have to continue to put him in a position to succeed and build off this. First wave pp is one place to start and he seems to be a very good fit next to Jake Evans, I would leave that as it is.

I have knocked him for his diminutive size and there will be times that he will suffer because of it but as others have said, there have been many little guys that have been very successful NHLers. He is definitely an exciting player to watch and we haven't had that in way too long.

One thing others have mentioned is his skating. It’s come a long way since being drafted, to the point where it’s actually a huge asset to his game. He’s faster and more explosive than most guys out there, and that’s exactly what a play with diminutive size like him needs to be a high end player.

I also like how he’s played with Evans, they complement each other well. Definitely need to give him more PP time and develop the game plan a bit more on getting him the puck. Especially if you can put him on the left circle with Petry up top and Suzuki on the right circle.

Reactions: OldCraig71

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Hate to be a party pooper but after Poehling's 4 goal debut, I'm going to wait and see before claiming we got the next Stamkos here.

The difference it's Caufield score at every level. Poehling has never considering "goal scorer", good two-way center with good passing ability. Caufield beat record goal too. No doubt he can be a DeBrincat... both are 5"7, both love play in dirty areas... and if we are lucky, he can be better than DeBrincat.

Reactions: McGees and 1909

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Hate to be a party pooper but after Poehling's 4 goal debut, I'm going to wait and see before claiming we got the next Stamkos here.
You're known as the party pooper poster boy around here
:sarcasm:

All joking aside, Caufield looks good but O find he was bobbling the puck quite a bit last night, that is unlike him. Now that the nerves are out of the way I expect him to get on a roll offensively.

Reactions: Habs

Jul 6, 2016
CC is another key element of the nucleus of young players that will help Habs become a contender in a few years. Suzuki, KK, Evans, Poehling, Romanov, Primeau will be for sure. Hopefully, Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Teasdale, Brook will follow.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
You're allowed to be excited about a kid scoring his 1st NHL goal, in OT...without needing to compare him to Stamkos.

Oh I agree, some of the comments are hilarious though.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
CC is another key element of the nucleus of young players that will help Habs become a contender in a few years. Suzuki, KK, Evans, Poehling, Romanov, Primeau will be for sure. Hopefully, Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Teasdale, Brook will follow.

If we're going to contend, we're going to need Suzuki and/or KK to take it to another level - or draft another center that will.

Reactions: azcanuck

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Y'all know I'm a "soccerian". He reminds me of Messi. Don't get me wrong and don't @ me, I know what I'm talking about.

And no worries, I'mma bookmark this post.

Reactions: dinodebino

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

The best thing about that it's we don't really see how Suzuki and KK can be good.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

no harm in tempering expectations but Poehling is a bad example as he didn't progress in his D+2 season whereas Caufield went from very solid Freshman year to one of the best U-20 seasons in the last 20 years. I don't want to get carried away as I don't expect him to be as good but it does remind me a little of what Makar did. CC was better in his Freshman year then Makar but there was the talk that he would turn pro just like CC but opted to return for his Sophmore year where he then broke out in a major way. CC did the same. Now Makar is one of the best young players in the world. I have no clue what Caufield turns into but have said all along that he's a special talent and he's shown it everywhere but the WJC's. The question for me is just how good he'll be.

Plus Poehling's 4 game game is so extreme, it's not like anyone would expect him to repeat that or be at that level since he never at any level showed that. We know Caufield broke the goal scoring record for the USNDTP, we know he just had one of the best U-20 seasons in the last 20 years in the NCAA. He's an elite goal scorer that only time will tell if it will translate to the NHL and to what degree vs Poehling who was always seen as a guy that's very likely to play in the NHL but aside from some serious homers, he was never thought of as the guy that can put up 40 goals.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
no harm in tempering expectations but Poehling is a bad example as he didn't progress in his D+2 season whereas Caufield went from very solid Freshman year to one of the best U-20 seasons in the last 20 years. I don't want to get carried away as I don't expect him to be as good but it does remind me a little of what Makar did. CC was better in his Freshman year then Makar but there was the talk that he would turn pro just like CC but opted to return for his Sophmore year where he then broke out in a major way. CC did the same. Now Makar is one of the best young players in the world. I have no clue what Caufield turns into but have said all along that he's a special talent and he's shown it everywhere but the WJC's. The question for me is just how good he'll be.

Plus Poehling's 4 game game is so extreme, it's not like anyone would expect him to repeat that or be at that level since he never at any level showed that. We know Caufield broke the goal scoring record for the USNDTP, we know he just had one of the best U-20 seasons in the last 20 years in the NCAA. He's an elite goal scorer that only time will tell if it will translate to the NHL and to what degree vs Poehling who was always seen as a guy that's very likely to play in the NHL but aside from some serious homers, he was never thought of as the guy that can put up 40 goals.

If he scores 20 next year i'll buy you a case of beer.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->