Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You can disagree with whatever you wish, but Caufield does his damage on the left side of the ice, and Suzuki on the right side.
Caufield, part of the reason why he is so effective at scoring, easily loses coverage when he reverts to the left side as a RW. On the other hand, if he played LW, he would be tracked way easily by the Ds who know he plays the Left side and scores from the left. His opportunities to score will decrease heavily as a result imo. As a RW, Ds wont know if he is playing to score (thus being on the left) or playing his natural position (on the right), that deceptiveness in his game allows him to be a beast in scoring goals. Very much like Chucky who scored regularly on his off side but was never comfortable enough to play on his offwing.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I’m a right shot that plays LW and I’ve always found it easier to dangle as you’re on your strong side cutting to the middle or to the net instead of swapping to your back hand. Picking up the pass, passing and defending your own zone is definitely harder on the off-wing - none of which will matter for a sniper
Good post.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Isnt there a town called Wawa near that place too?
Yup. Drove through it on my way back east from deadmonton in 83 in my 72 shit brown Chevy Nova. To go to uni.

On Lake Superior if I recollect. Took 8 hours at 70 mph just to get around the north side of that lake. You know what they say. Superior never gives up it’s dead.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I don't agree with:

a) Ylonen blocking the way for anyone right now. He has yet to show enough offensive ability to be considered a legit blue chip prospect and future top 6 NHL player. That could change if he begins to torch the Finnish league, but right now no one's making any plans for the NHL roster around him.

b) Suzuki at RW. He looked lost at the WJC and forgettable in many of his games on the RW in Junior. He's not a very explosive skater from a standstill, has mediocre strength and puck protection along the boards and doesn't play with enough intensity to have an effect on the forecheck. It also takes away from his best assets in his hockey IQ and spatial awareness. He's at his best as the third man in the zone, anticipating and reading plays as they happen. Which he most effectively displays as a C.

c) That Caufield being the most pure shooter means he's the best candidate to play LW. Have you considered that his best asset, the ability to "get lost" in the offensive zone and find open spaces on the left side, may come from his movement from the RW across to the other side of the ice? Again, most of those elite shooters who play their off wing have underwhelming even strength production and are very predictable IMO.

For the record, none of them should be a LW. But if I had to move one to LW it would be Suzuki. He's the most creative and dynamic threat of them all, has incredible hands and one-on-one ability and plays a slower tempo game that can suit the off wing. However, he lacks the lateral agility to create separation from defenders consistently and, of course, has no experience on the LW. Again, I much prefer him as a C.

But at least you're now making an argument rather than a one line response like "just watch".
Good post. I think that you are over thinking things a bit though. I was a shitty player but I could score. Didn’t matter what side I played on. Switched during play all the time. That’s what wingers do.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Caufield and KK are going to be so fun to watch in 2 years!!!!!

Thank god they didn't trade that pick to Vegas for a freakin 3rd round pick....

Reactions: angusyoung

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Good post. Watch vids of lafleur. He was often on the left side when passing and shooting. Wingers switch and roam.
Good post. I think that you are over thinking things a bit though. I was a ****ty player but I could score. Didn’t matter what side I played on. Switched during play all the time. That’s what wingers do.

You're referring to Lafleur and yourself. Neither situation are akin to nowadays NHL level. There are major differences in systems between these situations and today's NHL. NHL wingers spend shifts of 30-40 seconds on the ice and are told to follow certain guidelines. I'm sure some systems are more restrictive and others are less so but you're comparing your situation as a self-admittedly crappy player to the situation of a top player in a top environment, or the situation of Lafleur who smoked, drinked, partied all the time.. didn't follow Bowman's system in the mid-late 70ies.... to current NHL and it's just apples and oranges.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You're referring to Lafleur and yourself. Neither situation are akin to nowadays NHL level. There are major differences in systems between these situations and today's NHL. NHL wingers spend shifts of 30-40 seconds on the ice and are told to follow certain guidelines. I'm sure some systems are more restrictive and others are less so but you're comparing your situation as a self-admittedly crappy player to the situation of a top player in a top environment, or the situation of Lafleur who smoked, drinked, partied all the time.. didn't follow Bowman's system in the mid-late 70ies.... to current NHL and it's just apples and oranges.

That stuff is pure myth other than the fact that he smoked but not anything like the sensationalized rumours. I recommend anyone who is interested in that team to read The Game by Ken Dryden.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
That stuff is pure myth other than the fact that he smoked but not anything like the sensationalized rumours. I recommend anyone who is interested in that team to read The Game by Ken Dryden.

I will readily admit I know nothing about Lafleur playing career and am going by reputation but certainly he ran his car in a tree, and he smoked. I've heard he was a bit of a loose canon in bowman's system. I am too young to have watched him live. At any rate my point still stands that you can't compare 70s NHL with today's game

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Good post. I think that you are over thinking things a bit though. I was a ****ty player but I could score. Didn’t matter what side I played on. Switched during play all the time. That’s what wingers do.
I can attest to this. Have never been a great player (not terrible in my opinion but never good enough to consider playing AAA hockey- topped out at a good AA season on a bad team), anyways I always played RW almost exclusively and found myself carrying the puck to the left on breakouts because I preferred to attack on that side. I was a bit bigger and stronger than a lot of defenseman and my top speed was good, so when I was able to pick up speed through the neutral zone I could beat defenders pretty easily wide on my backhand. It wasn't my shot that made me good on the left side of the ice, just a personal preference, a situation I was really good in- and I could get myself in that position whether I was on either side of the ice.

In reality, any competitive hockey team could care less about LW/C/RW in the offensive zone- it's mostly defensive positioning and in turn, on the rush and in transition. The scorers score, the passers pass, and the grinders grind, no matter where on the ice the puck is. Positions- atleast LW and RW- overrated.

Hell, even defensively, it's the first forward back that takes the "center's role" as the low forward- can't be waiting 10 extra seconds waiting for the right player to get into his designated position. Not a luxury you can afford.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I can attest to this. Have never been a great player (not terrible in my opinion but never good enough to consider playing AAA hockey- topped out at a good AA season on a bad team), anyways I always played RW almost exclusively and found myself carrying the puck to the left on breakouts because I preferred to attack on that side. I was a bit bigger and stronger than a lot of defenseman and my top speed was good, so when I was able to pick up speed through the neutral zone I could beat defenders pretty easily wide on my backhand. It wasn't my shot that made me good on the left side of the ice, just a personal preference, a situation I was really good in- and I could get myself in that position whether I was on either side of the ice.

In reality, any competitive hockey team could care less about LW/C/RW in the offensive zone- it's mostly defensive positioning and in turn, on the rush and in transition. The scorers score, the passers pass, and the grinders grind, no matter where on the ice the puck is. Positions- atleast LW and RW- overrated.

Hell, even defensively, it's the first forward back that takes the "center's role" as the low forward- can't be waiting 10 extra seconds waiting for the right player to get into his designated position. Not a luxury you can afford.
I think it’s more the style of player you are that makes the difference. Someone like Gallagher who drives hard to the net will have more success directing pucks to the net on his forehand but if you’re playing downlow and looking to drift out of coverage like CC does a lot it’s better shooting angles and a slight benefit with the stick blade being probably 6-7 ft closer than a left shot standing in the same spot for one-timers. Also I find it much better shooting across your body instead of through when you get closer to the goal line, you see lots of guys playing their correct wing shoot straight through the crease. The bigger you are and the more powerful shot it makes less of a difference as you can get further back and closer to the center of the ice and still blow it past goalies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Can Caufield make the team the NHL'S Top Power Play and highest scoring team ? Not single handedly but with great teammates? I believe this is possible. :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Absolutely

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

Great book....although you won't find Dryden saying oh, and I walked in a room and Guy had a few rails all cut up and ready. ;-)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

I had Caufield had #5 OA, so I won't disagree here. However, its interesting that they had Krebs at #6 and Caufield at #10 on their list but still went for Caufield.

Glad they did.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The trade wasn't the 15th OA for a 3rd Round Pick. The trade was the 15th OA for the 17th OA + a 3rd R'd Pick. It was to move back two spots in the first round and the extra 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->