Prospect Info: Cole Caufield II (Montreal 15th overall in 2019 draft) mod warning # 560

How many goals will Caufield score in the 3 development camp scrimmages?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He was playing LW at the summer showcase and when I saw him with the USNDTP he was at LW. I don't know what he will play at Wisconsin. I know he can play both and does so we'll see which one he ends up.

I mostly saw him line up as a RW with Zegras playing on Hughes' left, to end the year at least. There were a lot of line changes through the year though with injuries, notably with Turcotte.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I went back and looked at the game vs Canada and you are correct, LW on the PP but listed at RW for the game.

Well hopefully they play him where he feels he's at his best. Leks imo is much better at RW and yet he barely ever plays there. I know some have said Drouin is actually better at RW then LW but I can't say as I don't pay much attention to him.
Drouin works well both sides imo. Maybe a bit better at the Right but not by a huge difference

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I mostly saw him line up as a RW with Zegras playing on Hughes' left, to end the year at least. There were a lot of line changes through the year though with injuries, notably with Turcotte.

With Hughes and Zegras as well, they were really not playing a corridor game. Everyone went everywhere, but Caufield was mostly playing as an F3: lurking in the weeds.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yeah. Its easier for a right hander to shoot when your are playing on left side. But if you want to dangle it will be easier if you are on right side. So for that reason i could see caufield on left side but we need on the right thought
I’m a right shot that plays LW and I’ve always found it easier to dangle as you’re on your strong side cutting to the middle or to the net instead of swapping to your back hand. Picking up the pass, passing and defending your own zone is definitely harder on the off-wing - none of which will matter for a sniper

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
IMO if you ware playing on your off wing you need to be an elite shooter- and CoCo qualifies

Being an elite shooter is one of the lesser important factors in playing your off wing.

Many of the better goal scorers at even strength play their strong side. And the elite shooters who do play on their off wing don't really benefit from it at all. OV for example has only led the league in EVG one time in the past nine years and only averages around 30 EVG a year, which is pedestrian for one of the best goalscorers of all time.

Players with great hands and lateral agility who play more of an East-West game are those who benefit the most from playing their off wing. Guys like Kucherov, Kane, Panarin. Yes, they can also shoot the puck really well, but it's their ability to create space with their hands and feet that are allowing them to benefit from having their forehand in the middle of the ice to get those high quality shots off.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Being an elite shooter is one of the lesser important factors in playing your off wing.

Many of the better goal scorers at even strength play their strong side. And the elite shooters who do play on their off wing don't really benefit from it at all. OV for example has only led the league in EVG one time in the past nine years and only averages around 30 EVG a year, which is pedestrian for one of the best goalscorers of all time.

Players with great hands and lateral agility who play more of an East-West game are those who benefit the most from playing their off wing. Guys like Kucherov, Kane, Panarin. Yes, they can also shoot the puck really well, but it's their ability to create space with their hands and feet that are allowing them to benefit from having their forehand in the middle of the ice to get those high quality shots off.
Just watch what side Caulfield score his goals on.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You mean the 72 goals he scored last year as a RW?

Or you mean where he stands on the PP which has absolutely nothing to do with what position he plays 5-on-5?

Pray tell.
What side of the ice does he score his goals from? Do I really need to hold your hand and walk you through this?

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
What side of the ice does he score his goals from? Do I really need to hold your hand and walk you through this?

What does that have to do with what position he lines up at on the faceoff and in the defensive zone?

Did playing RW prevent him from getting to those spots in the offensive zone to score 72 f***ing goals last year?

Do I really need to hold your hand and walk through this?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm throwing oil on the fire by saying it doesn't matter what wing one plays,if good,good! D play off their side at times also. Playing on your off wing allows to get to the inside and better shooting angle.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What does that have to do with what position he lines up at on the faceoff and in the defensive zone?

Did playing RW prevent him from getting to those spots in the offensive zone to score 72 ****ing goals last year?

Do I really need to hold your hand and walk through this?
What the heck are you even arguing about lol

I think Caulfield would work best at LW- especially when you consider the presence of Gallagher (pure RW), Ylonen (pure RW), and Suzuki at RW (C/RW who does his damage on the right side of the ice). In case you haven't noticed, our winger prospects are right handed heavy, so one of them has to switch over to the left side if they want to play in the top 9. IMO it makes the most sense for Caulfield to be that guy because he's a pure shooter...

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
What the heck are you even arguing about lol

I think Caulfield would work best at LW- especially when you consider the presence of Gallagher (pure RW), Ylonen (pure RW), and Suzuki at RW (C/RW who does his damage on the right side of the ice). In case you haven't noticed, our winger prospects are right handed heavy, so one of them has to switch over to the left side if they want to play in the top 9. IMO it makes the most sense for Caulfield to be that guy because he's a pure shooter...

I don't agree with:

a) Ylonen blocking the way for anyone right now. He has yet to show enough offensive ability to be considered a legit blue chip prospect and future top 6 NHL player. That could change if he begins to torch the Finnish league, but right now no one's making any plans for the NHL roster around him.

b) Suzuki at RW. He looked lost at the WJC and forgettable in many of his games on the RW in Junior. He's not a very explosive skater from a standstill, has mediocre strength and puck protection along the boards and doesn't play with enough intensity to have an effect on the forecheck. It also takes away from his best assets in his hockey IQ and spatial awareness. He's at his best as the third man in the zone, anticipating and reading plays as they happen. Which he most effectively displays as a C.

c) That Caufield being the most pure shooter means he's the best candidate to play LW. Have you considered that his best asset, the ability to "get lost" in the offensive zone and find open spaces on the left side, may come from his movement from the RW across to the other side of the ice? Again, most of those elite shooters who play their off wing have underwhelming even strength production and are very predictable IMO.

For the record, none of them should be a LW. But if I had to move one to LW it would be Suzuki. He's the most creative and dynamic threat of them all, has incredible hands and one-on-one ability and plays a slower tempo game that can suit the off wing. However, he lacks the lateral agility to create separation from defenders consistently and, of course, has no experience on the LW. Again, I much prefer him as a C.

But at least you're now making an argument rather than a one line response like "just watch".

Reactions: Acadien86

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It's too bad we've got to wait at least a year to see him on the roster. We need scorers now. Definitely unlikely and probably not the best scenario but I wonder if he takes a spot on the roster this year.

AFAIK he can't do the 9 game stint and then return to college so it's pretty doubtful I guess.

Wawa is a great area, I've had some great trips just NE of there.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
his progression will dictate how long he stays in the NCAA... but from today, I'd bank on/like to see him spend at least this season and next there, getting stronger physically and dominating (as i suspect he will from mid-way of his first year). If he's so dominant that it's no longer worthwhile for him to stay there his 3rd year, fine, but no need to rush just bc Debrincat made it happen by 20yrs old.

Aside from letting him add a bit of man-strength to his small frame, playing in the NCAA vs CHL/AHL/NHL also means a smaller amount of wear and tear (fewer games, yet still playing against men, no fighting bs & major junior goons/headhunters to worry about)... which isn't a bad thing from a long-term pov...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't agree with:

a) Ylonen blocking the way for anyone right now. He has yet to show enough offensive ability to be considered a legit blue chip prospect and future top 6 NHL player. That could change if he begins to torch the Finnish league, but right now no one's making any plans for the NHL roster around him.

b) Suzuki at RW. He looked lost at the WJC and forgettable in many of his games on the RW in Junior. He's not a very explosive skater from a standstill, has mediocre strength and puck protection along the boards and doesn't play with enough intensity to have an effect on the forecheck. It also takes away from his best assets in his hockey IQ and spatial awareness. He's at his best as the third man in the zone, anticipating and reading plays as they happen. Which he most effectively displays as a C.

c) That Caufield being the most pure shooter means he's the best candidate to play LW. Have you considered that his best asset, the ability to "get lost" in the offensive zone and find open spaces on the left side, may come from his movement from the RW across to the other side of the ice? Again, most of those elite shooters who play their off wing have underwhelming even strength production and are very predictable IMO.

For the record, none of them should be a LW. But if I had to move one to LW it would be Suzuki. He's the most creative and dynamic threat of them all, has incredible hands and one-on-one ability and plays a slower tempo game that can suit the off wing. However, he lacks the lateral agility to create separation from defenders consistently and, of course, has no experience on the LW. Again, I much prefer him as a C.

But at least you're now making an argument rather than a one line response like "just watch".
You can disagree with whatever you wish, but Caufield does his damage on the left side of the ice, and Suzuki on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
You can disagree with whatever you wish, but Caufield does his damage on the left side of the ice, and Suzuki on the right side.

Caufield does his damage from the Right Wing position and Suzuki does his damage from the Center ice position.

It's like talking to a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad