cold feet in game.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
i wear the "pro socks" or "pro feet" socks or whatever they are called when im playing hockey. they are really thin, and i basically bought them cos they are really high socks, and i hate ankle or crew socks when playing hockey. my problem is that because they are so thin, my feet get REALLY cold during games and if i wear them over a pair of socks, my skates are way too tight. does anyone have a cure to my problem, or should i stop being a wuss?

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
never had that problem and i go barefoot maybe try some underarmour cold gear socks that might help you out

StrykerB

Jan 3, 2008
If you leave your equipment outside or in an unheated area, your skates and feet will be colder than if your skates are already warmed up when you put them on. Leave them in your house before a game or use a hair dryer to warm them up before a game.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Just a shot in the dark...maybe you are tying your skates too tight and get that type of cold feeling? If not, then you just a wuss =>

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Id agree that either the skates are too tight or you are lacing them too tight.
Its possibly cutting off your circulation, which is making your feet cold.

Sitka

Nov 29, 2010
You're tying your skates too tight, which might mean they are too big.

Thicker socks probably won't help, because they will just increase the pressure (and lack of blood flow).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
First 2 things I tell guys on my team if they get cold feet. 1-laces are too tight or no longer laying flat. 2.try wearing a long sleeve undershirt. The first parts of your body to get cold due to cold temperatures are your outer extremities. Nose, ears, fingers, toes, if those things are cold while you play you need to wear better/more of a base layer.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
Whilst you guys are on about cut circulation and cold feeling, i had my skates heat moudled the other day for the first time (i'm new to hockey).

Before they were moulded i had terrible arch pain, outer foot pain and sore legs above the ankle where the stiff boot was cutting into my skin a bit, on both sides.

After about 3 skates, most of that had given up except my left arch, which was still in agony. Anyway, i always knew my skates were on the narrow side so i figured it was just breaking in pain.

However, the guy at the shop tightened them like a vice on my feet when they were baking, even though i told him they were way too tight. He was certain they were supposed to be tightened as tight as physically possible when baking, so i just trusted his judgement. About 5 minutes into the baking process my right foot was in agony.

Anyway, i haven't skated on them yet, but my flatmate advised me to wear them around the flat to break them in a bit more. I wore them for about an hour before i had to take them off, because for atleast 50 minutes i had lost the circulation in both of my feet. As soon as i pulled each boot off i felt the blood pumping around my veins and flooding my feet with warmth again.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. To me it seems like a step much further than "break in pains" and sounds like he's knackered up my heat moudling, but then i could be wrong.

Is this a good sign that they'll still be nice and tight around the toes and feet when i've broken them in and they start getting old, or has he genuinely borked the moulding?

CGNY87

Jan 7, 2011
NY
Anyway, i haven't skated on them yet, but my flatmate advised me to wear them around the flat to break them in a bit more. I wore them for about an hour before i had to take them off, because for atleast 50 minutes i had lost the circulation in both of my feet. As soon as i pulled each boot off i felt the blood pumping around my veins and flooding my feet with warmth again.

I was wondering what you guys thought of this. To me it seems like a step much further than "break in pains" and sounds like he's knackered up my heat moudling, but then i could be wrong.

Is this a good sign that they'll still be nice and tight around the toes and feet when i've broken them in and they start getting old, or has he genuinely borked the moulding?

They have to be tight while being molded. But that is done, now loosen up the laces. You dont want them that tight. They should be snug and not cutting off circulation. From reading your post it seems like you kept the laces super tight.

Also I find my skates hurt when walking around. They dont hurt at all when skating. Your posture is different from walking to skating so it applies pressure differently.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
@Thresh,

Don't tie them so tightly. When I lace up my skates I pull with my fingers just BARELY, i don't even use any arm strength. Just a little pull to get the snug (not tight). Then I only tie the top eyelet tight just to get the heel lock and ankle support. Try to tighten them similar to this and see how it works out. You should never have to pull your laces VERY tight. Just tight enough to be snug around your foot.

Do your feet have flat arches or high arches? If you have high arches like me you may want to look into hockey-specific insoles like ShockDoctor or SuperFeet insoles. They really make a world of difference compared to the paper thin (see: useless) insoles that come with skates.

@Jacko23, no help here since I never get cold at the ice rink. I do public skates in shorts and a t-shirt. :sarcasm:

Scotty Malone

Jan 4, 2011
They might not be to tight guys..

My feet get cold too, from sweat though. I use baby powder in my skates and on my feet to keep them dry. Works for me.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
Okay great, thanks for the advice guys. I never really thought to loosen the laces that much because i figured the mould of the skate was doing all of the constricting, but i'll try it out.

I'm going skating tomorrow night so i'll let you know how it felt.

jacko - Although i'm not able to really help you with the problem, out of interest have you experienced cold feet when you're wearing other socks and not the pro socks? I was just going to say that it might be possible that your feet always get cold regardless, but then i don't know how long you've been skating for to judge it by.

Last edited:

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Okay great, thanks for the advice guys. I never really thought to loosen the laces that much because i figured the mould of the skate was doing all of the constricting, but i'll try it out.

I'm going skating tomorrow night so i'll let you know how it felt.

If you have time try a bunch of different tightnesses (is that a word?) in your lacing to see gives you enough support but not so constricting. Skate a bit with each tightness (if you can) to make sure your feet don't fall asleep, cramp up, etc. It's borderline rocket science figuring out just how tight you need to lace up with your specific skates and feet. I still have trouble finding the perfect tightness.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
When I got my skates a while back, I wore them inside to break them in and passed out on the couch for a few minutes and when I woke up I had no feeling in one foot because it was so tight. :D But all in all, I've gone through the (a very strange one) break in time and all's good now.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
And sometimes, I get cold feet for no reason. I've been doing the exact same routine every time I play for years. I wear one of those one piece suit things, and I used to do athletic socks but now I'm pretty much just using dress socks. But on those strange nights, my feet are just cold no clue why.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
You may think this is a joke, but I'm serious. Sprinkle powdered cayenne pepper in your skates. I used to do this when playing outdoors. Everyone laughed, but it helped. Cayenne is used internally in herbal formulas to stimulate blood circulation.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys - loosening the skates did help resolve the excrutiating pain!

I figure the rest of the pain is simply the break in period, which i expect to be quite long seeing as these skates are probably a lot stiffer than my ability/weight can deal with just yet. But otherwise they're perfectly fine. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad