Colby Cave | In Memoriam

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Terribly sad. I honestly expected him to recover. Because he was a young athlete, in peak physical state, playing at the highest level. But I forgot how much of life is out of our hands.

Deepest condolences to his wife and family.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Heart breaking and devastating.

Life is always precious and fragile but for this to happen to such a likeable young man with his whole life in front of him is beyond sadness. My deepest regrets to the family.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
This is truly gut wrenching and heart breaking. This just isn't right.

My condolences to his wife and to his family and to his teammates throughout his life. This is so unfair for him to pass on so suddenly with the onset of symptoms coming on so seemingly fast over a matter of a couple days. May he rest in peace.

:(

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wow... Just horrible news, to pass away that young. I can't even imagine how his family feels.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Heartbreaking news. Condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and all hockey fans who are grieving his loss. Tomorrow is promised to no one. We all get caught up in the busyness and routines of our life, but take the time each day to let those dear to you in your life know that you love them.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Horrible... just absolutely horrible.

Rest in peace, Colby. All of my wishes and well thoughts to his family and friends.

What a waste.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Colloid Cysts

Here's some medical info on the cyst which had formed on/in his brain. These cysts are thought and believed to form in fetal development so it wasn't from an accident or any type of brain injury.

Like other cysts that occur in the brain, such as arachnoid cysts, colloid cysts are always benign. Arachnoid cysts and colloid cysts have an embryologic origin and are therefore referred to as developmental, or being present from birth. They are not neoplastic (tumors) and they are not cancerous, meaning that they do not spread or require radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Unlike arachnoid cysts, which usually do not grow in size, colloid cysts are expected to increase in size slowly over time.
The location of these cysts within the third ventricle and the potential for blockage of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is the cause for concern. In fact, untreated colloid cysts on very rare occasion can cause sudden loss of consciousness and even death. Most colloid cysts, however, can be safely monitored indefinitely rather than treated. Factors that determine whether observation or surgical removal is best include the degree of CSF blockage, the size of the cyst, and the age of the patient. With treatment the prognosis for a patient with a colloid cyst is excellent. (See Surgery for a Colloid Cyst.)

What Causes a Colloid Cyst?
The cause of a colloid cyst is unknown, but it is believed to have its roots in fetal development. The rind (wall) of the cyst is a remnant of normal embryologic tissue. There is nothing known to cause a colloid cyst — it is not associated with exposure to radiation, cell phone use, or prenatal care. There is no known congenital link, meaning that family members do not require screening. Since colloid cysts are so rarely found in children, they are thought to start to grow later in life.

Captain Fantastic

Cpt. Fallustina
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
May Colby rest in peace. Strength to the family he left behind. Sad day. I follow the Condors on FB and their fans are devastated. This is from Condor's FB page.
Screenshot_2020-04-11-10-31-37~2.png

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Deeply saddened...I really felt like he was going to pull through. RIP Colby and condolences to his family.

Reactions: MoontoScott

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Wow what a horrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to his family, and his wife.

Just utterly speechless over how someone's life can be lost so suddenly at such a young age

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
This is unimaginable. To die almost suddenly because of a tiny developmental cyst, in a medically-induced coma... horrific doesn't begin to describe it.

Deepest condolences to his family.

Rest in peace, Colby.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Horrible and really, unexpected news. Really thought he was going to pull through. With all that is going on in the world around us, another awful kick like this has to be especially tragic and tough to deal with for his family. Wish them the strength to get through this as best they can. Man, you just never know what you may have inside you that is a ticking time bomb. Stuff like this really motivates many people to assess what is important in their lives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->