Colby Armstrong Potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavliary2000

Nov 22, 2004
Hey Everyone,

Just looking to get some opinions on Pens prospect Colby Armstrong
I believe hes rated a 6.5A

His AHL numbers are not impressive at all..
anyone have an updated scouting report.....or an educated guess as to what type of player or role he will have in the NHL?

Thanks

Kavliary2000

Nov 22, 2004
more details please....
is he speedy?, physical? two way?
any NHL comparisons?
his HF profile sez Deadmasrh...i really doubt that's true

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Alright, here's my thoughts on Armstrong.

His offensive production prior to this year has been disappointing. He was drafted, obviously, with some hopes that he'd score some goals, but his offense hasn't really developed as expected. A big portion of this has been his inability to add weight to his frame since being drafted. He's getting there, probably at about 195 now. Not that he was getting outmuscled, but his game is to score ugly goals, and for a while he just didn't have the strength to camp out in front of the crease. He could definitely use more muscle to translate his game into the NHL (or the AHL for that matter) but what he lacks in bulk he makes up for with balance. Excellent skating balance. Good skater. Not a burner, but he has some speed.

There's definitely some skill there. He has a snappy wrist shot, a decent passing touch. His offensive production though mostly comes in the way of assists as the result of his keen decision making (makes the safe play with the puck always) and the ugly goal here and there.

Defensively, Armstrong is money. Always has been. Plays great positionally, is a terrific penalty killer. Plays a physical game but does NOT sacrifice his position to do so. Will lay someone out with a monster hit, but as I said, doesn't go out of his way to do so.

One area he should improve in is stirring things up. He was supposedly a pretty big agitator in juniors, but hasn't been one in the pros. This is one aspect the Penguins liked about him, but so far it just ain't there.

Most Penguins fans, and even Dejan Kovacevic, the Penguins writer for the pozt-gazette, feel that while he's doing fairly well in the AHL, he's the type of guy that will have better success in the NHL- simply because he plays an NHL-style of game.

3rd liner, but a good one. Maybe he tops out as a complimentary winger for some skilled guys in the top 6, but that won't be any time soon. Similar to Peter Schaffer, IMO.

Venom_17

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Jacob, I think you hit the nail on the head. I really think that he will be a better NHLer than an AHLer as well...put him on a line with a couple of skilled players, and he can get the puck in the corner, play defensively, and do the dirty work. I see him as a premier penalty killer and solid 20 goal scorer. Also, he is a character guy who is well-liked by teammates and can add a lot to a locker room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->